No recent wiki edits to this page.
In King of the Monsters 2: The Next Thing, players can fight against computer opponents in a standard story mode beat 'em up, or they can fight each other.
In the year 1996 monsters started showing up all over the world. These monsters were powerful creatures who were waging a fierce war against each other, and destroying the world in the process. The people of the planet could only watch on for three years as these monsters were destroying everything. The battle waged on until only the three strongest monsters were left standing.
At last in 1999 a new group of monsters showed up to challenge for control of the planet. These new monsters would battle the previous ones to see who would become the king of the monsters.
The mechanics of the game allow for basic punches and kicks, but the biggest damage comes from throws. When a player approaches a similarly sized opponent, this will result in the two grappling. The winner of the struggle throws his opponent. Against the computer, the grappling system is rather unbalanced and it is difficult to come out of a grapple victorious, especially against the later bosses of the game. Each stage of the game must be completed within a set time limit and every stage has a boss characters at the end.
- Player vs. computer - The single player story mode; a second player can join in.
- Two players vs. computer - Two players team up to cooperatively play through the story mode.
- Player 1 Vs. Player 2 - Works much like a one on one fighting game. The first player to win 3 out of 5 rounds is declared the winner.
In the SNES and arcade version of King of the Monsters 2 there are two different possible endings. Once the final boss has been defeated, he will divide into many smaller versions of himself. If all of these small versions can be defeated in the time allotted the good ending will be shown. Failing to kill all of these miniatures in the time limit will result in the bad ending being shown.
- The Earth shook wildly and everything upon it sank into the ground, the Earth then fell silent. There was finally peace on Earth, but at what price?
- The players chosen character shoots out of a volcano and up into the air. As the character is falling the screen freezes and the player is given a screen stating they are the king of the monsters, a point bonus of 100,000 is also given. The heroes have defeated the enemy from another world and now they are the strongest!
Sega Genesis Version
|TAKARA changed the gameplay when porting King of the Monsters 2: The Next Thing to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive. Instead of having beat-em-up mechanics, the game is a one-on-one fighter, returning to the gameplay of the original King of the Monsters.|