In which order should I play the games?

#1 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

I want to get into the Kingdom Heart games but they are confusing me! Should I play them in order of release or is there another way to help me out with the story? 

Thanks.

#2 Posted by Linkin10362 (591 posts) -

The true order of the games is: 
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (or whatever it is called)
Kingdom Hearts 2

I would say play them in that order, expect play Birth by Sleep last.

#3 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

I'd say that the optimal way to play them would be order of release:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Kingdom Hearts:  Chain of Memories
  • Kingdom Hearts II
  • Kingdom Hearts:  358/2 Days
  • Kingdom Hearts:  Birth By Sleep

Technically, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is set between KH and KH2, but I think that the story is more effective if you play Kingdom Hearts II first.
#4 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" I'd say that the optimal way to play them would be order of release:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Kingdom Hearts II
 Technically, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is set between KH and KH2, but I think that the story is more effective if you play Kingdom Hearts II first. "
This is the right answer.
#5 Posted by Yukoei (1878 posts) -

Which way would be less confusing and give me more enjoyment out of the story?

#6 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -

Start with the first game. Then, thirty minutes in, realize that it's a completely mess on every level, put it back in its case, and try to forget the series even exists.

#7 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" Start with the first game. Then, thirty minutes in, realize that it's a completely mess on every level, put it back in its case, and try to forget the series even exists. "
Or you can realize that it is one of the best series ever made.
#8 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -
@Yukoei said:
" Which way would be less confusing and give me more enjoyment out of the story? "
You can play them in either chronological order or release order and it would be largely the same, save for Birth By Sleep (which is a prequel to the entire series) and 358/2 Days (which is set between KH1 & 2 and which overlaps with Chain of Memories).

If you play them in order of release, you won't be confused.
#9 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Yukoei said:
" Which way would be less confusing and give me more enjoyment out of the story? "
You can play them in either chronological order or release order and it would be largely the same, save for Birth By Sleep (which is a prequel to the entire series) and 358/2 Days (which is set between KH1 & 2 and which overlaps with Chain of Memories).  If you play them in order of release, you won't be confused. "
Pretty much this. 

It would be too confusing if you played in the chronological order with Re coded and the 3DS version coming out. If you played it in release order you won't be confused.
#10 Edited by Apathylad (3067 posts) -
#11 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Apathylad said:
" @Yukoei:   Pretty much what @Hailinel: said would be best. You might try to pick up Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories game if you can't find the GBA version.  "
Definitely.
#12 Posted by RaccoonusDoodus (324 posts) -

Play them in order of release, not chronological order. It'll be less confusing that way. So:
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories/Re: Chain of Memories
Kingdom Hearts II
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Also, it's probably a better idea to play Re: Chain of Memories instead of Chain of Memories ;D

#13 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @Icemael said:
" Start with the first game. Then, thirty minutes in, realize that it's a completely mess on every level, put it back in its case, and try to forget the series even exists. "
Or you can realize that it is one of the best series ever made. "
Kingdom Hearts suffers from an abysmal camera, even more abysmal controls, poor level design, thoroughly unlikeable characters and voice acting that can best be described as "rape by sound". You could offer me a hundred bucks to finish it, and I would still refuse to tarnish my Playstation 2 with the crap again.
#14 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" @Icemael said:
Kingdom Hearts suffers from an abysmal camera, even more abysmal controls, poor level design, thoroughly unlikeable characters and voice acting that can best be described as "rape by sound". You could offer me a hundred bucks to finish it, and I would still refuse to tarnish my Playstation 2 with the crap again. "
The camera was fine, the controls were great, the level design was fantastic, the characters were extremely likable and the voice acting was superb. 

It was one of the best series last generation.
#15 Posted by XenoNick (1483 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba: 
I agree, I had no problem with the camera. The controls were great and got the hang of them instantly. Super stoked for Birth By Sleep.
#16 Edited by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:

" @Icemael said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:
" @Icemael said:
Kingdom Hearts suffers from an abysmal camera, even more abysmal controls, poor level design, thoroughly unlikeable characters and voice acting that can best be described as "rape by sound". You could offer me a hundred bucks to finish it, and I would still refuse to tarnish my Playstation 2 with the crap again. "
The camera was fine, the controls were great, the level design was fantastic, the characters were extremely likable and the voice acting was superb.  It was one of the best series last generation. "
I won't go as far as saying the voice acting was superb, Sora's VA needed to get into his role a little but he seemed to do better by KH2, but I'll say it was a fun game, not the best ever made but it was a good time.. I don't think I had any issue with the camera I had more issues hating the fuck out of donald and goofy, and still do hate them. 

#17 Posted by Icemael (6364 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
"the voice acting was superb."

The Disney characters at the end are good, but the others' acting is about as convincing as that of the average dubbed anime. And those are the characters who ended up with the better voice actors. There are others (like that one guy on the island who I think threw balls at you in some stupid minigame) who made me seriously consider snapping the disc in two. If this is what you consider "superb", I don't even want to think about what you consider "okay" or, god forbid, "mediocre".

You standards when it comes to camera, controls, and just about everything else are obviously just as low, if not lower.
#18 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Icemael: The Disney characters voice acting was superb and there were way more Disney characters then Kingdom hearts characters. Also, Sora's voice was great. 

And have you ever thought that your standards are just too high? You adjust to the controls extremely quickly.
#19 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

Chain of memories sucked cock. Don't play it.

#20 Posted by Three0neFive (2304 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" @Icemael said:
 Protip:

#21 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -
@Icemael:
Yet even with these flaws it still manages to be one of the best games on the PS2. Kingdom Hearts 2 improved a lot on the flaws, but created new worse ones, however the story and boss fights kept it an interesting game.  

You can hate it all you want, but I save my hate energy for actual bad games.
#22 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@Three0neFive said:
" @Icemael said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" @Icemael said:
 Protip:

"
I am sure that I am trolling him, I have been a fan of the game since it came out and made my avatar into Sora just to troll the guy.
#23 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" Chain of memories sucked cock. Don't play it. "
It wasn't as good as the PS2 games but it certainly wasn't bad.
#24 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:

" @TheMustacheHero said:

It wasn't as good as the PS2 games but it certainly wasn't bad. "
It wouldn't have been bad if it wasn't basically kingdom hearts with a fucked up combat system.
#25 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@crono11 said:
" @Hailinel said:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Kingdom Hearts II
 Technically, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days is set between KH and KH2, but I think that the story is more effective if you play Kingdom Hearts II first. "
This is the right answer. "
I'll go with this as well.  If could play the PS2 version of CoM instead of the GBA version if you would like.
#26 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:

" @TheMustacheHero said:

It wasn't as good as the PS2 games but it certainly wasn't bad. "
It wouldn't have been bad if it wasn't basically kingdom hearts with a fucked up combat system. "
I didn't think it was too bad, but then again I played it on the gameboy SP and liked the card element to a point until Riku started whooping my ass. I'm still stuck on him int he gameboy version. I'm not very far in the Ps2 one yet.
#27 Posted by usedtype (97 posts) -

While I certainly don't hate Kingdom Hearts by any means and had enough fun that I finished the game, I don't really understand the love it gets.  The camera was legitimately awful and the controls weren't that good.  The non-Disney characters were annoying.  That being said, the voice-acting and integration of the Disney elements were SUPERB.  It's a pretty clear 6/10, 3 star game that is fun but in no way amazing. 

I never played Kingdom Hearts 2, but I did play Chain of Memories and (flame shield on) liked it more than the original game.  The card system added a good challenge (except for the extremely easy final boss) and required strategy.  I liked that more than the button mashing.  Also, the second part where you play as Riku was great fun.

#28 Posted by OmegaChosen (647 posts) -
@Hailinel said:

• Kingdom Hearts
  • Kingdom Hearts II
I agree with this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.