Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdom Hearts

Franchise »

The Kingdom Hearts franchise is a series of games conceived by fusing together popular elements of Final Fantasy story telling and classic Disney characters.

"Time for Kingdom Hearts to return to a console"

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Tetsuya Nomura says that he wants Kingdom Hearts to return to consoles in this Game Informer interview. Kingdom Hearts 3? Do you care anymore? I used to be a huge fan of KH, now I'm not so sure anymore. I'd definitely be interested in a proper sequel though. 

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

I care. I care the FUCK out of this statement. The only reason I don't have a Vita, yet, is because there's no way to play Birth by Sleep on it.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By notdavid

YES. I don't care about the spin-offs. Kind of hate the Organization XIII stuff. If they just took it back to Sora and his pals having a Disney themed adventure, I would lose my shit.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I think that so many people have been looking forward to a proper KH3 for so long that it would absolutely make a splash if announced. Would it be as good as its predecessors? That's up in the air, with Square-Enix's internally produced games going downhill as they have been. But hey, XIII-2 was absolutely an improvement over XIII, so maybe they're on their way up again?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

No. Kingdom Hearts should of been a one off Disney cash in for Square. That series is terrible.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

It would not make a huge splash. It has been almost a decade since Kingdom Hearts 2, and with the convulsion of the story that comes from handheld titles, a reboot of the whole thing might be in order.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SlightConfuse

considering they have been pumping side stories out for years an proper sequel would be welcome. That said i am excited for KH:3D(mostly for TWEWY and Tron)

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@spilledmilkfactory said:

with Square-Enix's internally produced games going downhill as they have been.

Well that's debatable with the Kingdom Hearts series- given how Birth by Sleep was received. (Of course- my point may be moot, as we have yet to see how Dream Drop Distance will be received :P )

I haven't played any of the Kingdom Hearts spin-offs myself, but I have kept track of the plot better than most. :P

So yes- I would most likely be excited for KH 3. :)

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By rapid

I will play it if they leave the side story stuff out of the plot of KH3, or else I see it as being a shit show for everyone who didn't bother with the side stories / prequels.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aegon
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

No. Kingdom Hearts should of been a one off Disney cash in for Square. That series is terrible.

Quiet, you. The first Kingdom Hearts is the reason I got a PS2 and it was great. It was also the first game I ever beat.
    Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Arker101

Yeah, I'd be down for KH3. As long as it has as little to do with the spin-offs as possible.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Phatmac

They're overhyped, but I wouldn't mind it. I didn't think much of both of the PS2 games, but apparently everyone else is in love with it for some reason.

WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rapid said:

I will play it if they leave the side story stuff out of the plot of KH3, or else I see it as being a shit show for everyone who didn't bother with the side stories / prequels.

I can pretty much guarantee that's not gonna happen. :\

And if you think it's bad now- wait until you see the twists Dream Drop Distance is apparently throwing into the mix. >_>

I've been able to make sense of much of the KH plot up to Birth by Sleep... But from what I've read on Dream Drop Distance- I think I'm about to join the completely befuddled group. D:

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Cloudenvy

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

@Rapid said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm out!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Hunter5024

I got super excited when I was reading that interview, then when I thought about it afterwards my enthusiasm sort of died. Kingdom Hearts DS is one of the most boring games I ever played, and I'm not sure Square even understands what's cool about that franchise. But if they announced a ps3/360 kingdom hearts game I would almost definitely play it.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aegon
    @Cloudenvy said:

@Rapid said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm out!

Another quote from the interview: 

@TetsuyaNomura said:

That being said, with a series being around so long, there are a few items I have in mind so that a wider audience range can enjoy the experience.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vikingdeath1

After playing spinoff after gameboy game after spinoff my eternal love for this series has started to dwindle.... and the game names..... Fuck you square, those titles are gibberish.

But I want more!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

I really enjoyed the first two. That was back in tenth grade though when I was 15. Now that I'm 21, it'd seem a little weird, 'cause you can only wait for such a series for so long. I anticipated a sequel to two for a while, but that's long past. My brother had bought a few of the spin-off games, but I didn't care at all for those, so I never even played them. I think I would be all for a third one, one that would make everyone and I alike say "OK, it's been a long while, but I'm back on board for this great looking title!" Not that I dislike the type of game Kingdom Hearts is, nor do I dislike Disney or Square, but by now, my interests are elsewhere. I'd hope it was as good looking as FFXIII (or better). It'd also be cool if the game took place after however many years since the second, and then get every voice actor back. So if it came out next year, it'd take place six or seven years after the second game.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@Video_Game_King said:

The only reason I don't have a Vita, yet, is because there's no way to play Birth by Sleep on it.

Seriously? Fuck that!

Yeah I'd be down for an HD game. I'm not as into Kingdom Hearts as I used to be but I'm still interested for sure. Also he mentions an Interest in an HD collection, which I would buy the shit out of.

Maystack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maystack

To be honest, I've played all of the Kingdom Hearts side games, and I still have absolutely no clue what's going on story-wise. And yet I'll keep getting the games, as it's one of my favourite franchises.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Vorbis

I lost interest when it moved to handhelds, might start to care again if it returned to consoles.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Concerning the story confusion: I've never played any of these games, but all I did was go to each of their pages on GB and look at some wikia stuff, and within an hour I completely understood the story and it's characters. Maybe it's harder to understand from playing the games, but I don't get how this story completely escapes people. When it's just written down it's not that hard to grasp.

Raye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Raye

It's a little too late for me. The spin-offs soured me on the series, unfortunately. Great for those that still really love KH, though! :)

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @H2Oyea said:
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

Quiet, you. The first Kingdom Hearts is the reason I got a PS2 and it was great. It was also the first game I ever beat.
    ...First game you ever beat? Yikes. You're either making me feel old or you just give up on games way too easily.
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By The_Nubster

With each release, they seem to be side-stepping around answering important plot points or adding anything halfway meaningful to the plot, opting instead to introduce new characters left and right and try to explain the origin of each character's origin before they originated originally. As long as they actually answered some god damned questions, I'd be all for a proper-ass sequel. That being said, I'd wait for reviews on it and wait until a price drop, because I'm not 8 anymore and I can realize how terribly written and acted those games are.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aegon
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @H2Oyea said:
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

...First game you ever beat? Yikes. You're either making me feel old or you just give up on games way too easily.
    How old are you? I probably did give up on too many games back in the PS1 days. I think I was 12 when I beat it.  
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Maystack said:

To be honest, I've played all of the Kingdom Hearts side games, and I still have absolutely no clue what's going on story-wise. And yet I'll keep getting the games, as it's one of my favourite franchises.

DO NOT FEAR! :D

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8cPyvE2GTjOMzE4MTVlZTctMjE5Yi00YzAzLWJjZTAtZTllODY2OTc2MTMx/edit?hl=en_US&pli=1

This document may help you. :P

._.

@Brendan said:

Maybe it's harder to understand from playing the games, but I don't get how this story completely escapes people. When it's just written down it's not that hard to grasp.

Maybe... In my experience, the only KH game I absolutely had to read up on to get any understanding with was Coded. That and now Dream Drop Distance- which is the first KH that I've read up on and am still a bit befuddled. o_O

As far as I can tell- Dream Drop Distance may very well have the highest number of out-of-the-blue twists in the series. >_>

And Dream Drop Distance is the game that's supposed to link directly into KH 3, so... Oh dears. <_<

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vexxan

Kingdom Hearts 3? Don't get my hopes up, I've been hurt before.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@notdavid said:

YES. I don't care about the spin-offs. Kind of hate the Organization XIII stuff. If they just took it back to Sora and his pals having a Disney themed adventure, I would lose my shit.

I would equally lose my shit. Sadly, I can't see that being the case.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @H2Oyea said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @H2Oyea said:
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

How old are you? I probably did give up on too many games back in the PS1 days. I think I was 12 when I beat it.  
    22. Now that I think about it, the first Kingdom Hearts came out almost 10 years ago which blows my mind. Still, having that your first game to see the end credits is a shameful display at 12 years old. It's not that it's a terrible game, just that there were many other games worth playing through before.
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aegon
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @H2Oyea said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @H2Oyea said:
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

22. Now that I think about it, the first Kingdom Hearts came out almost 10 years ago which blows my mind. Still, having that your first game to see the end credits is a shameful display at 12 years old. It's not that it's a terrible game, just that there were many other games worth playing through before.
    I'm not ashamed. It was a wonderful experience. 
    Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Maajin

@notdavid said:

Fucking this. I love you.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By OllyOxenFree
    @H2Oyea said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @H2Oyea said:
    @OllyOxenFree said:
    @H2Oyea said:
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

I'm not ashamed. It was a wonderful experience. 
    Not saying that it was not! To reiterate: there were many other great games before Kingdom Hearts that you might have missed out on completing.
    Avatar image for bluelantern1995
    BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@spilledmilkfactory said:

with Square-Enix's internally produced games going downhill as they have been.

Well that's debatable with the Kingdom Hearts series- given how Birth by Sleep was received. (Of course- my point may be moot, as we have yet to see how Dream Drop Distance will be received :P )

I haven't played any of the Kingdom Hearts spin-offs myself, but I have kept track of the plot better than most. :P

So yes- I would most likely be excited for KH 3. :)

This mirrors me perfectly...though I am really considering buying a PSP to get Birth by Sleep cause that was the reason I got into Kingdom Hearts...

Zenogiasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Zenogiasu

Show me the motherfucking threequel!

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LikeaSsur

If they disregard the handheld versions as a side, totally-not-related-the-main-plot story and just bring it back to 1 and 2, I would love Kingdom Hearts to make a return.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By BBAlpert

@DrDarkStryfe said:

It would not make a huge splash. It has been almost a decade since Kingdom Hearts 2, and with the convulsion of the story that comes from handheld titles, a reboot of the whole thing might be in order.

I want to see "The Kingdom Hearts" where you run around as Robin Hood and fuck shit up with Buzz Lightyear and Baloo the Bear.

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Dixego

@LikeaSsur said:

If they disregard the handheld versions as a side, totally-not-related-the-main-plot story and just bring it back to 1 and 2, I would love Kingdom Hearts to make a return.

Not gonna happen. Ever. Too much damn story to just throw it away.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#40  Edited By Slag

Nope. KH went to a really weird place and feels creatively tapped out.

Bring back the Chrono series instead. And/or create a new IP.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hunter5024

@Aegon said:

Another quote from the interview:

@TetsuyaNomura said:

That being said, with a series being around so long, there are a few items I have in mind so that a wider audience range can enjoy the experience.

A little late on the reply... but doesn't every game developer ever say that about every game they make... ever?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheHT

Fine, whatever. Just get Versus XIII done.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By _Zombie_

I'd be cautiously optimistic. It's doubtful that I'd buy the game, though. KH isn't enough to make me buy a PS3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.