A tad easy?

#1 Edited by JustKamToo (682 posts) -

I'm playing it on the 360 'hard' mode but still not finding it much more than 'normal' (trust me I'm not that great at games) is it just becuase I'm still in the first two area's? can anyone let me know if it gets harder? I do have the DLC free items but I've put them away and I'm wearing normal greens and using a blue sword I found. If anyone can me me know if it's the same for pc/ps3?

(PS I am enjoying it just wanted to see if its a bug or anything.)

#2 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

It gets easier.

There are some spikes in difficulty for a couple of bosses, first time you meet poison based elite enemies, first time you fight orange "large" enemy types. But overall it gets easier.

Currently (30ish) on Hard yellow/orange enemies can't even chip into my health bar for 5% with 4+ attacking at the same time.

#3 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

What are you expecting? Dark Souls? This is an EA game.

Moreover, I don't think that the difficulty is inverse to my enjoyment of the game. The world, how badass my guy looks, and the story are the reasons I'm playing.

#4 Posted by thehuntsmen5434 (427 posts) -

Fable wasn't very hard either. Being the closest comparison to KOA in terms of how the combat works.

Curt Shilling has gone on record in an interview saying the difficulty issue is something they are looking into right now.

#5 Edited by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

What are you expecting? Dark Souls? This is an EA game.

Moreover, I don't think that the difficulty is inverse to my enjoyment of the game. The world, how badass my guy looks, and the story are the reasons I'm playing.

The story, really? The one where you are a very special pumkin here to kill the super evil guy (tm) and save/change the world? And 30 levels into the game (more then 2/3rds of world areas explored) I have not seen a single sight that actually made me stop look and think "ooo that looks pretty/cool" something like Witcher 2 managed in the prologue several times. Subjective for sure, but there it is. Most of it has been generic looking grasslands with some trees here and there in fact. I actually chukled when the game did a cinematic pan of the uninspired main city upon entering it.

Sorry about ranting, but you insisted on inserting your own likes for the game to downplay the OPs question.

As far as difficulty goes it makes combat boring and combos irrelevant, pretty much the only thing this game has going for it compared to other RPGs. Also when people put a game on the hardest possible difficulty they usually excpect at least somewhat of a challenge.

#6 Posted by NaDannMaGoGo (338 posts) -

@thehuntsmen5434 said:

Curt Shilling has gone on record in an interview saying the difficulty issue is something they are looking into right now.

I certainly hope so. In case they manage to adjust the difficulty to something worthwile, and by that I mean making it harder but not at the sam time ruin other aspects, I could imagine getting it on a steam sale.

But with a cheap ass difficulty I see no reason whatsoever to play the game. It seems all the joy I could get out of it is looting and the combat to some degree. If it's way too easy, both these aspects become worthless to me.

#7 Posted by Blind_Evil (306 posts) -

I thought it was pretty easy, then the Maid of Windemere kicked my ass like five times in a row. Granted, I only had two health potions, but still.

#8 Posted by qawsed (143 posts) -

It gets harder. I'm playing on normal as a lvl.19 sorcerer and it's significantly harder than Fable 2. The difficulty is uneven, the world is littered with low level enemies. But there are occasional bottlenecks of difficulty.

#9 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Tennmuerti:

I do enjoy the storytelling a lot.

Granted - I take in every single line of VO of any given NPC in the world. Many might not have the time or patience to do so. Practically every character and every sidequest is surprisingly well fleshed out and far from flat. It's too bad that it takes a lot of effort to get to experience it. Immersing oneself in conversations purely for exposition is not everybody's cup of tea.

That said, if you come for the story and bring the time and patience, with a little effort, I discovered the stories KoA:R tells to be amazing. Best sidequests in any RPG in recent memeory.

#10 Posted by Tennmuerti (8073 posts) -

@Seppli:

I can't enjoy what isn't there.

You see dialogue, all I see is a list of expositions in monologue. I love conversations in RPGs it's why I play them, I never skip dialogue, try to talk with everyone. Not so in Amalur, because I don't feel like I'm getting anything of worth listening to the npcs be tourguides (i tried). I can't actually speak to anyone in Amalur, not in voice, not in written sentences, not in any continuous thread of thought. All I can do is click on lines of exposition that do 0. Sorry that's how I see it. :(

I like the combat, the loot, the crafting etc. But this game has more in common with a dungeon crawler like Diablo rather then any meaningfull RPGs

The stories Amalur tells me I heard a thousand times. Except for the House of Balads, but jezus fucking christ they wear that shtik out, every quest in that chain is beating you over the head with "we are in a cycle, bla bla bla", over and over.

#11 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@Tennmuerti:

Guess it's my imagination then. ;D

#12 Posted by pweidman (2326 posts) -

It is very easy(I'm on normal), but I think that's what BHG intended tbh.

If you stray too far ahead an orange boss can be difficult, especially w/o enough potions. But still, it seems this game was designed to be about experiencing the world, cool combat alternatives, the story, and the loot. All the skill stuff and gear creation too.

I'm only 6 hrs or so in though. It's very interesting that Shilling has commented on this publically. They may look into adding a higher diff in a patch, if that is indeed possible. Dunno.

#13 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

They need to up enemy damage output and/or attack frequency and evasion on hard, not just enemy HP.

#14 Posted by BoFooQ (666 posts) -

I'm also playing on hard cause I've heard it wasn't too hard. I've also been moving along the main story story quickly most of the time to not get bored like jeff said. I haven't found any challenge until I came up against the troll at the dam. After several tries the game asked me to turn the difficulty down, which I wouldn't do so I ran out to level up more. I'm only level 16 right now so I figure I'll do so other stuff till I get to 20 than go back and kill him.

Also I'm still wearing just my shepard armor despite having better stuff now. I like the way it looks and I'm not in too big a hurry to break the game.

#15 Posted by project343 (2818 posts) -

@JustKamToo: Difficulty took a sharp jump after I left the lush forests and went into the planes (the pseudo-second area in the game).

#16 Edited by Turambar (6742 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: @Seppli: During his 8 hour streamathon on Monday, Day[9] had interviews with all the big names behind the game (Curt Shilling, Todd McFarlane, Ken Internationally Celebrated Game Designer Rolston, and RA Salvatore.)  His conversation with Salvatore specifically had him bringing up some interesting points about the well of souls and the whole concept of Fate within the game that gives the overall lore something worth looking forward to in future games, particularly the MMO.  http://blip.tv/day9tv/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-w-guest-r-a-salvatore-part-13-5942231

That said though, I have to agree with Tennmuerti that at specifically in Reckoning, the story is nothing to write home about.  Your entire journey is mapped out from the beginning barring any giant plot twist in the last leg that I haven't ran into yet.  The Fae in general kind of bugs me as being one of the biggest homages (rip offs if you're not being as generous) of the elves of the original Tolkien lore than most other fantasy settings out there specifically because of the whole reincarnation bit.  Fae get the Great Cycle, Elves get the Halls of Mandos.  At least most other versions stay dead permanently when killed.
#17 Posted by Turambar (6742 posts) -
@project343 said:

@JustKamToo: Difficulty took a sharp jump after I left the lush forests and went into the planes (the pseudo-second area in the game).

Everything is easy until you run into multiple ettins and jottuns in small enclosed areas.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.