Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

After the Demo, do you feel you played...

• 89 results
    Solh0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Solh0und

Personally I felt like I was playing Fable with "dialog trees"

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#52  Edited By Driadon

Those worried about the glitches, it seems that EA was quite adament as to which build to base the demo on, and Big Huge argued that that code was going to be buggy as hell. I go that information from, I believe it was the podcast THe Morning Stream, Scott had brought that up after talking with Kurt Schilling

kiwi_whisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By kiwi_whisker

I had this bug where the character dissappeared after I got my longbow, but pressing jump + foward got my character out of it. It's been years since I played wow, and is has a huge wow feel to it. That's ok by me, as my life has changed and I can't play a mmo anymore and this hits those loot and art notes. Story I'm still on the fence about, the characters are hella cliche. Right after skyrim it is hard to love something else, but the combat and art style make it doable for me. It's a little mashy, but I prefer it to skyrims combat by a long shot. I actually found decreasing the camera sensitivity helped the feel of the game too. The combat seems decently challenging, but I would probably play it on hard. Now I just need to decide if I go PC or PS3... I wonder what if any modding community would come around this game.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By TentPole

Skyrim did a lot of things right but the parts where you whack stuff was not very fun. In this game the parts where you whack stuff is pretty good. For games that are mostly about going to some cave to whack stuff I enjoyed the demo quite a bit more than any of my time with Skyrim. Though I agree Skyrim has much better atmosphere.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By kingzetta

it's a pretty good stealth action game.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#56  Edited By Deranged

In general, I despise RPG's of any nature. I gave Skyrim a try, thought it was good, became bored in about 25 hours. To put it simply, I enjoyed the demo of KOA more than the entirety of Skyrim. I'm not saying that KOA is better than Skyrim, I just personally enjoy it much more and love that it resembles Fable.

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Divina_Rex

For those people who are saying the quest aren't beefy the only one in the demo that is, is the one that starts with the wounded Fae woman. That quest leads you to a Fae settlement and then to a big cave where you fight higher tier enemies along with 3 boss enemies.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58  Edited By Commisar123

My problems with the demo were primarily the poor performance on the PS3 and the fact that that world has no unique flavor.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By valrog

I don't know, the gameplay seems a little off to me. Switching from bow to sword doesn't seem to always work (Or at least for me), rolling away and camera controlling is just poor and a shield magically appearing out of nowhere when I try to block is killing the immersion for me.

And the dialogue is the worst thing ever. I hate it when instead of an actual sentence isn't defined among the choices, but only a (poor) summary of it, but okay, I can get past that. But somehow they managed to make that even worse. IF YOUR CHARACTER DOESN'T TALK, THEN YOU CAN'T HAVE A SUMMARY OF THE SENTENCE IF THERE IS NO SENTENCE. It goes against all logic.

But no, people will defend it to death because OMGZ WHO IZ WORKING ON ZEH GAEM U GUISE THEY MAEK PURFECT!!! I expected more from those so called "gods of game design".

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the art direction and the music really got to me. So I suppose there are some good qualities.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#60  Edited By Seppli

@Driadon said:

Those worried about the glitches, it seems that EA was quite adament as to which build to base the demo on, and Big Huge argued that that code was going to be buggy as hell. I go that information from, I believe it was the podcast THe Morning Stream, Scott had brought that up after talking with Kurt Schilling

The Morning Stream podcast if flippin' excellent dude. Nice 'lil plug. Thx for that. Enjoying the shit out of it whilst playin' SW:TOR endgame grind.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By mesoian

Played through the demo last night.

I'm not really sure what to think, as a lot of the world automation and detection stuff has been done better, notably by Skyrim. Here's an example.

In Skyrim, if I break into someone's house and no one's there to see me, I can loot the entire place from top to bottom and no one will know it was me. That makes sense, there's no witnesses. In KOA:R, I was poking around the dwarven potion maker's house, seeing if the recipe for the potion to heal the fae girl was just hanging around somewhere. The recipe wasn't, but the potion was. So I looked around, made sure no one was around to see me at all, took the potion (as well as everything in else in the drawer) and all of a sudden, a guard seemingly spawns behind me, says "HALT CRIMINAL SCUM!" and tells me to go to jail or resist arrest.

Strike 1

So it's about 30 minutes since the game started and I don't have any money to bribe this guy, and I don't want to go jail, so I resist arrest. All of a sudden guards come pouring in from the front door of the potion shop and flood the basement where I am. I take them down with ease because the rhythmic combat in this game, while good, is devastating against the AI. A simple X,X,X, Magic combo would take out everything I came across, save for that rock troll boss at the beginning. I slaughter every guard that comes after me, go outside, slaughter more guards the game spawned, the AI has a story NPC join the battle who didn't seem to take damage but could still be knocked down or stunned, I loot all the bodies, find a prison key on one of them, decide I'm going to turn in the potion to end the quest, but can't, since in this game if you are seen as an enemy, EVERYONE knows you're an enemy regardless of who they are or what they're doing.

Strike 2

So I decide, I need to lose this heat. So I go into the Inn, where it takes a good 40 seconds for the game to realize that its still perceiving me as aggressive but still won't let me talk to anyone or do anything, leave the inn, wait for more guards to respawn, and surrender. They take me to jail, I use the prison key that I picked up off on of the bodies, I WALK PAST MY JAILERS TO GET MY STUFF AND WALK OUT, since apparently just being in the cell restarts your status to neutral, and no one in the town is any wiser.

Strike 3, you're out.

I mean talk about breaking immersion. Skyrim did a pretty good job of letting you use your imagination to fill in the gaps for why things were happening. This just feels like a video game with the limitations of a video game. I keep saying, this is the game Fable wanted to be, this is the game that Peter Molenkoye wanted to make. But it feels like the limitations are the same where the world is so stricted and the automation so forgetful that nothing you do has any real consequences. Gaming the system feels like part of...well...the game, opposed to something you can do post main quest to keep you interested and playing around.

So I don't know. I wanted to like this game more than I did, and knowing that this demo is going to be pretty indicative of a final product...I don't know if it's something I wanna pour time into.

Thoseposers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#62  Edited By Thoseposers

I enjoyed the art direction because everything looked so vibrant and i also liked the new and different armor you'd get. The gameplay was decent enough. But i didn't really like anything else. I know it's supposed to be open world-ish but something about the area made it feel very enclosed and like i was playing a super tiny mmo. My least favorite part was the shitty lore, i mean come on, i'm so fucking tired of titles like "fateweavers" and stupid ass names that are all consonants that don't actually make any sense. Also, shit writing.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By sickVisionz

The devs were on weekend confirmed gushing about this game so I checked it out.

The first playthrough... the story and world felt really meh to me and I wasn't interested in any of the happenings in it. The voice acting seemed good enough though. The combat was ok. I learned magic and had to cast a spell. I did and the game hard froze on my 360.

So I dove back in and rushed through the dungeon and got a glitch where I couldn't talk to NPCs and the one I could talk to auto-rushed through his dialog. I got to the outside area. The story still seemed ultra meh and I just couldn't get into any of the characters or situations I came across. The leveling system seemed like it could be pretty interesting and the combat was cool. I was starting to get into the idea that like Skyrim, the story wouldn't be interesting at all ever but the mechanics, exploration, and leveling would be what drew me in. Well, the world didn't really feel like an open world game to me. It felt more like a hub system where you have open areas but only one clear cut path to any of it. That didn't bother me too much though. I can play a rpg purely for the mechanics and leveling if they are god enough (I think every Betheseda game has a shite story but I enjoyed FO3 and Skyrim mainly due to the leveling system and exploration, and I played 100+ hours of FFXIII just because I liked the combat and leveling and weapon upgrading a lot). The combat seemed like it might be cool once I found the weapons I wanted and seeing how crazy it could get (the podcast mentioned games like Bayonetta so I'm hoping eventually I'm knocking people 20 feet in the air, doing like 10 hits up there, landing, dodge canceling out of attacks and being uber badass at some point). So I come across some bandits and start kicking their ass... and the game hard froze on my 360.

I'm really soured on the overall jankiness of the game. The story is not worth mention, the characters aren't worth mentioning, and the quests don't seem appealing. For me, it's basically just going to be a how fun is leveling and fighting type of WRPG, which I don't mind... but god is it janky. After hearing about it on the podcast I was really intrigued. After playing it once I was disappointed at how but everything other than game mechanics were, but I still thought ya know, I might buy this when it's like $40 or something. After the second hard crash (this is a 100% crash rate for me and I'm not even playing it for an hour at a time... which is way worse than Skyrim)... I can't see myself buying this for more than $12 on Amazon.

I will give it another try today before the NFL kicks off. If it crashes on me again, I'm done for good. This demo is pretty terrible. What's the point of releasing a demo this buggy and janked up?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By mordukai

@WinterSnowblind said:

The story was my biggest problem. There wasn't a shred of original or interesting lore of background.. It's maybe unfair to judge that based just on the demo, but I hated it so much I didn't even want to finish the demo.

The quests seemed fine and the gameplay is alright.. but there are much better WRPG's out there. Try Risen, Divinity or Two Worlds 2.

Maybe unfair? It's a fucking demo. You didn't even get a shred of what the story. Do you also read the first paragraph of a book and say that the story sucks? And are you seriously using full release games to compare to a demo? Can I please get me some of skunk you've been smoking because I'm kinda dry at the moment.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#65  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@WinterSnowblind said:

The quests seemed fine and the gameplay is alright.. but there are much better WRPG's out there. Try Risen, Divinity or Two Worlds 2.

Ouch. Listen, I was underwhelmed by the demo too, but saying that it is worse than the utter mediocrity of Divinity II is really, really harsh. I personally said it was a slightly better version of Divinity II in another thread. However, if you meant 2002's sleeper hit Divine Divinity, then you are of course in the right, because that game is pretty cool. Worse than Risen and TWII? Sure. I'll take that as well.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Revan_NL

EA does have a habit of releasing horrible demo's (or betas) for their games don't they. Wether it's the awfull Dead Space demo, the horrible Battlefield 3 beta and now this, they don't seem to get that a demo could either get you some buyers, or lose a bunch of them. I for one was looking forward to this but after playing the demo... I think I'll pass.

briggs713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By briggs713

@Raven10: All that was what happened to me. My game crashed like 2 minutes before the demo ended.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@Mordukai said:

Maybe unfair? It's a fucking demo. You didn't even get a shred of what the story. Do you also read the first paragraph of a book and say that the story sucks? And are you seriously using full release games to compare to a demo? Can I please get me some of skunk you've been smoking because I'm kinda dry at the moment.

I had to listen to generic, cliché nonsense for a good hour, that does not compare to one paragraph of a book. I didn't like the writing, style, setting or anything that was set up in all that time.

Like I said, maybe it gets better as it goes on, so I don't want to say the game is awful based just on that, but there was nothing interesting or intriguing about it in the slightest, so it's either just a bad story or incredibly bad pacing/writing. For an RPG, that's a pretty big problem. And yes, if I feel that way an hour into a book, yes, I'd stop reading it.

@ArbitraryWater said:

Ouch. Listen, I was underwhelmed by the demo too, but saying that it is worse than the utter mediocrity of Divinity II is really, really harsh. I personally said it was a slightly better version of Divinity II in another thread. However, if you meant 2002's sleeper hit Divine Divinity, then you are of course in the right, because that game is pretty cool. Worse than Risen and TWII? Sure. I'll take that as well.

Divinity II was pretty janky, but the story was at least pretty original, and there was a lot of humour too it. It had some unique gameplay mechanics too.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Seppli

@Revan_NL said:

EA does have a habit of releasing horrible demo's (or betas) for their games don't they. Wether it's the awfull Dead Space demo, the horrible Battlefield 3 beta and now this, they don't seem to get that a demo could either get you some buyers, or lose a bunch of them. I for one was looking forward to this but after playing the demo... I think I'll pass.

Funny thing is, it seems the actual review code of the game is rocksolid. At least that IGN guy went out of his way to mention he didn't have any crashes at all on his PS3 review code on a debug console in that Review In Progress bit they're doing on the game.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mordukai

@WinterSnowblind: Have seen a movie called Audition?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By gike987

@Mordukai said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

The story was my biggest problem. There wasn't a shred of original or interesting lore of background.. It's maybe unfair to judge that based just on the demo, but I hated it so much I didn't even want to finish the demo.

If the first few pages of a fantasy book are poorly written and filled with pretty much every conceivable fantasy cliché the rest of the book is most likely not worth reading.

The demo starts of with a woman telling you about a world "awakened to new magic" and after that we see an obviously evil guy with glowing eyes and red pointy armor sitting in his crystal throne doing his best evil laugh. Couldn't be much worse than that.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mordukai

@gike987:

No Caption Provided
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#73  Edited By yoshimitz707

I was bored the entire time. The combat was boring, the story was boring, and even the art style was boring. And it didn't help that it crashed on me 3 times in the short time I had with the demo.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By sickVisionz

I finally got a playthrough in without a crash. The story and setting still seem like your generic fantasy WRPG not made by BioWare, but I like the combat and leveling. I won't be paying $60 but I'm sure at some point in 2012 this will be on sale for a sub $40 price. I'll probably pick it up then. I just got through playing Skyrim for almost 200 hours so I'm not really dying to jump into another ultra long bad story WRPG just yet.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By Ghostiet
    @gike987 said:

@Mordukai said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

If the first few pages of a fantasy book are poorly written and filled with pretty much every conceivable fantasy cliché the rest of the book is most likely not worth reading.

The demo starts of with a woman telling you about a world "awakened to new magic" and after that we see an obliviously evil guy with glowing eyes and red pointy armor sitting in his crystal throne doing his best evil laugh. Couldn't be much worse than that.

If he's oblivious to his evil, that's a pretty nice subversion, I'm on.
    Flikery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Flikery

I actually went and preordered the game after playing the demo. I did have some graphics glitches, but the combat felt really great to me, especially after sneaking, aiming arrows, and summoning fire atronachs in Skyrim for the last zillion hours. And the game world looked pretty big to me: http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/r/game/world the top map is the world map, the bottom the region map that contains the one area the demo is in. I was able to spend my full 45 minutes in the region pretty comfortably; could have spent more, but let's start there on average. I count 9 areas. If each of the 5 regions has 9 areas, that amounts to 45*9*5=45^2=2025 minutes, or, 33.75 hours. Sounds fine enough to me; I don't need every game to be Skyrim-long. I also liked the potential for the crafting system, as well as the non-combat abilities you get to put points into. Maybe I am just looking for something more arcadey than Skyrim, and this seems to be set up to scratch the itch for me.

lecarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By lecarl

After playing through the demo twice, I feel a lot better about this game. My initial impression was mediocre, although mind you, I didn't experience any bugs apart from some minor texture glitches and I understand how bugs can totally overshadow a game (the bugs I experienced toward the end of Skyrim almost made me forget how much I had enjoyed the previous hours). My second time through though, I enjoyed it a lot more. The combat felt much less clunky the more I got used to it and I found myself having a lot of fun with it. It clearly has its roots in MMO territory, but that doesn't really bother me. I have some questions about class balance and whether some of the secondary skills are really valuable and I'm not preordering it based on a one hour demo, but I do think some of the criticisms have been a bit overblown (except ones regarding bugs).

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#78  Edited By hermes

@Raven10 said:

The demo was super glitchy for me. The audio cut out for 80% of the demo, which made most of the conversations just skip to your choice which was impossible to make because you didn't hear what the NPC said. Then the graphics started glitching out with weird artifacts and then the framerate crumbled and then finally the game just crashed. Wonder if this happened to anyone else...

I had the exact same issues, plus a few more: characters jumping around from place to place, quest titles being stuck for several minutes, floor textures disappearing and questlines not ending. I guess that is Oblivion's designer hand there...

Its a pity, because the demo actually turned me off of the game. The combat was fun and the RPG was decent. Some things were half-assed (like the lock-picking minigame), but in general wasn't a bad game.

However, I will wait until I hear about the release product to see if they actually managed to fix some of those stuffs. In a demo, being this glitchy is manageable; but in a retail is unacceptable.

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Stevokenevo

I just finished the demo and I thought it was ok. Same as alot of people, the quests seemed quite generic, more towards the mmo side of go here hit that thing and wahooo, you win. The combat and progression looked to be the most interesting part to me, however I couldnt help but wish that this game had some kind of multiplayer similar to PSO with 4 player trawls through levels to big badass bosses. That would truly get me to buy it, not the story.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By RVonE

The whole demo felt like running through corridors. I don't like that.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By sjupp

It felt pretty generic and having to disable post-processing was unfortunate but I feel people have been giving it more shit than it deserves.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By bio595

Had the post processing black screen problem but after that it worked absolutely fine.

Thought the combat was pretty good, not as tight as I'd like. Mind you I did just come off Arkham City.

Loved the visuals, especially the colours.

Story seems compelling enough to me, hope it will pick up in the full game.

I am curious, regarding the story. This game clearly has the trope of you are a special person in this world, that's why you're the hero.

What do you prefer, the person who is a hero because they are special (eg, Luke Skywalker, Superman) or the person who is special because they are the hero (Commander Shepard, Batman)?

i.e do you prefer characters that are important because they are super powerful or unique in some magical or mystic way that become heroes because of this or do you prefer characters who are normal people (ish) and refuse to submit and succeed against all odds and become important because of this.

Or am I simplifying this too much ? =)

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By kingzetta
    @CaptainCody said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

Oh god, I don't know how you can mention Two Worlds 2 with a straight face. That fucking game, man.

Yeah I beat two worlds 2 and the demo for this was waay better.
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Seppli

@bio595 said:

Had the post processing black screen problem but after that it worked absolutely fine.

Thought the combat was pretty good, not as tight as I'd like. Mind you I did just come off Arkham City.

Loved the visuals, especially the colours.

Story seems compelling enough to me, hope it will pick up in the full game.

I am curious, regarding the story. This game clearly has the trope of you are a special person in this world, that's why you're the hero.

What do you prefer, the person who is a hero because they are special (eg, Luke Skywalker, Superman) or the person who is special because they are the hero (Commander Shepard, Batman)?

i.e do you prefer characters that are important because they are super powerful or unique in some magical or mystic way that become heroes because of this or do you prefer characters who are normal people (ish) and refuse to submit and succeed against all odds and become important because of this.

Or am I simplifying this too much ? =)

As far as I can see it, it's all about the introduction of revivication magic for mortals. The fae have been immortal all along and now that a faction of the immortal Fae have turned against the young mortal races, things are out of whack. Our character is the first mortal to have been successfully revivifyied.

Since this Reckoning game is inteded to lead into a MMO, my guess is revivification will be a more common thing by the time the main game is resolved. Players in the MMO will likely all be 'Fateless' revived people. It gives all those MMO mechanics lore to explain things like talent respeccs. Actually - that Trion game, RIFT, does something very similar lore-wise.

My .02$ on this matter.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By raidingkvatch

I thought the demo was pretty good, nice exploration, cool fairy-tale style of art decent side-quest stuff and the more major quests seemed like they could be pretty good. The combat was fun, if shallow (although it hinted at being more interesting once you get deeper).

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
    chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I didn't mind the demo for the most part. It's a fun game, but i'll be playing Skyrim for the foreseeable future.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
    deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that I think about it, Reckoning reminds me a bit of Jade Empire. Although it seems a lot less interesting.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By benspyda

The game bugged out on me too for most of the demo (the audio, dialogue skip thing) but despite that I still enjoyed it enough. Even if the story isn't that great, I'll probably play it for the loot in the way I played torchlight. I could continue playing Dark Souls and Skyrim for the rest of eternity but I'll be happy to give this a shot.

multiman33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By multiman33

I enjoyed the demo and think the game has promise, minus the last 5 minutes where all the dialogue was glitched and ran through with no audio at lightning speed. It seems like it is setting up to be an open world, but the demo does not seem to be a good representation of this.

I think the problem for me is that I am burnt out from Skyrim and can not stomach another open world game at this time. Because of this burnout, I want to revisit this game some time next year after it has come out and patches have been provided until I give an unbiased opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.