Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Alyn Shir's Outfit

• 64 results
    Avatar image for belligerentengine
    BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Sorry for the very short rant, but god every time this character comes on screen I can help but face palm. She's basically wearing a leather pair of panties and bra with a bunch of belts strapped on it's utterly ridiculous. I'm a pretty big proponent of sensible armor on female characters in rpgs, but I understand marketing and that other people have differing opinions on what they like, so normally I can handle a little cleavage or say a armored breastplate with an exposed mid-drift. It bugs me, but it's really not too troubling. This on the other hand is nearly unbearable... every time I see this character it is completely destroys any sort of immersion I felt.

God it feels good to get that off my chest, apologies to anyone who read this but arrghh... so annoying.

Edit: Damn is there anyway to write a blog post without associating it with a forum? I didn't really want to spam this out anywhere since it's purely for personal cathartic reasons. Oh well...

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BelligerentEngine

Sorry for the very short rant, but god every time this character comes on screen I can help but face palm. She's basically wearing a leather pair of panties and bra with a bunch of belts strapped on it's utterly ridiculous. I'm a pretty big proponent of sensible armor on female characters in rpgs, but I understand marketing and that other people have differing opinions on what they like, so normally I can handle a little cleavage or say a armored breastplate with an exposed mid-drift. It bugs me, but it's really not too troubling. This on the other hand is nearly unbearable... every time I see this character it is completely destroys any sort of immersion I felt.

God it feels good to get that off my chest, apologies to anyone who read this but arrghh... so annoying.

Edit: Damn is there anyway to write a blog post without associating it with a forum? I didn't really want to spam this out anywhere since it's purely for personal cathartic reasons. Oh well...

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By benspyda

I guess you don't like Soul Calibur then...

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BelligerentEngine

@benspyda said:

I guess you don't like Soul Calibur then...

Well I'm not really into fighting games and something like Ivy's outfit makes thematically a lot more sense in the context of the, "over the top" presentation of the Soul Calibur fiction(Don't get me wrong it's still totally dumb, but so are a lot of other SC characters) so no I don't really hold any distaste for it. Though that's mostly because I don't have any personal investment in that game universe, on the other hand in a game like Reckoning where as far as I can tell they are at least going for a somewhat serious tone, it's entirely ridiculous(At least in my opinion).

Granted it's a freaking game so I should just get over it, but the point of blogs is to express your dumb unnecessary opinions and thus lower everyone's overall impression of your intelligence.

Mission Accomplished...

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By trace

@BelligerentEngine said:

Edit: Damn is there anyway to write a blog post without associating it with a forum?

Yep. Just ignore that green box that pops up after posting your blog, and it should keep the entry off the forums.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By huntad

@BelligerentEngine: I didn't mind your thoughts on it. I don't have the game, but sounds weird/funny.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Blannir
    BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BelligerentEngine

@Blannir said:

Had to look up the character since I haven't started KoA yet but she looks pretty damn cool in this picture. The design seems reasonable for a female rogue.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/r/game/characters/alyn-shir

The picture comes off quite a better than it does in game, however even that is an example of somewhat implausible equipment. A rogue-like character would need places to conceal tools of the trade, while fair enough the equipment displayed certainly fits for a "scandalous ambassador" description given in the accompanying text. It doesn't really seem like the kind of outfit that would be appropriate for a diplomatic summit or something of that nature. Though I suppose I can't really comment on the cultural idiosyncrasies of some elfine race from a fantasy universe that I have only spent a limited amount of time in. However in most of the situations I have thus far encounter this character, there has been some amount of combat involved and regardless of whether or not her outfit would constitute some sort of cultural faux pas in a social situation, it can hardly be described as something that would provide adequate protection in any sort of combat encounter.

That said this blog is really just me engaging one of my fantasy rpg pet peeves. It's just in game it just feels so blatant that while normally this sort of character (like Morrigan's default outfit in Dragon Age for example) would just make me groan a little bit, and then enjoy them for their positive values. In this particular case it feels as though the game is actively taunting people of my particular view point, which is not actively helped by the fact that I've found the character annoying from a dialogue perspective as well.

Regardless it's a minor point of contention and despite the exasperation it give me. I can certainly acknowledge that I'm just making a fuss about something in the grand scheme of things is really not important.

In conclusion I'm a dumb nitpicker. Sorry for wasting people's time =].

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Brendan

Yep, its really dumb. Its exactly as dumb as a lot of the Japanese stuff people complain about on these forums (and rightly so). Its the epitome of nerd fantasy bullshit.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

If it's the girl I'm thinking of, then yeah she's pretty ridiculously attired. Oddly enough I haven't seen any marketing with her though, so it's not like they slapped her on the cover to attract attention.

Still, she's definitely on the Ivy side of things, and that's just not good for anybody.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Tennmuerti

First time I saw her in the demo, I physically winced.
    It's one of the shittiest tropes in fantasy, to the point where we now have other games/people in the industry poking fun at this all the time.
    Sadly it's not done ironically in Amalur.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By RIDEBIRD

She looks more fit to kill with her vagina then those blades. Why is fantasy and gaming still like this?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Seppli

Jep - I did facepalm a little upon meeting her in the demo. Any female character design that's the equivalent of what a working girl would wear in a 'meet the girls' line-up in a brothel doesn't seem sensible to me, unless the character in question is actually a working girl in a brothel dressed up for a 'meet the girls' line-up, as seen in Dragon Age : Origins.

Isabella in Dragon Age 2 nails the look of a sexy female rogue-type. Skintight cloak & daggers chic.

duggshammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By duggshammer

What is your take on male characters that have huge, for most men unobtainable, a lot of the time fictitiously big, muscles?

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RIDEBIRD

@duggshammer: They usually like wear shirts or at least cover some parts of their body up, as well as wielding gigiantic fucking weapons that require a lot of muscle to handle = they got muscles.

And yes, Isabella has a good look. Looks more like Ezio then a whore.

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@duggshammer said:

What is your take on male characters that have huge, for most men unobtainable, a lot of the time fictitiously big, muscles?

It's an issue of apparel not body type. Speaking specifically to fantasy games the male body type you describe is usually reserved for barbarian/gladiator type characters so it is thematically relatively sensible, and actually personally I feel that the female equivalent or said character's should show similar traits in body type IE. if you want to portray a female barbarian, than her size and muscle build should reflect her class type. Similarly to how any smart confident female fighter should be aware enough to want to wear armor that offers the maximum amount of protection for her given fighting style.

Whenever I see ridiculously revealing female armor in games the best equivalent I can think of is the comparison between say a erotic nurse outfit, and a real nurse in scrubs.

Games simply aren't marketed that way, but if a lot of dudes in games wore armored thongs or something, yeah that in my mind would be equally stupid to something like this. Though I would tolerate it because maybe after dealing with the culture shock of that, more people would come around to my point of view haha =P.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By veektarius

I think that sex appeal is fine and brick house female characters are great. When it comes to showing skin, though, less is more. If you met a girl dressed like that on the street, your first reaction wouldn't be 'hot', in all likelihood, it'd be "did she just break up with her boyfriend or something? Does she want money?" I think that the designer of this character should have used that as his litmus test for her outfit.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soldierg654342

Eh, seems on par with about all fantasy character design. Don't see why this particular example is so egregious.

And if you want to bring the practicality/protection argument into play: Armor doesn't offer as much protection as most people think. Protection varries inversely to thickness (save for chain mail), and thickness is limited by the wearer. You'll still get killed in the heaviest armor if you can't move. And even with the correct balance, all armor really protects you from is wayward, un-aimed attacks that are likely to happen in a large scale battle. If someone goes for a piecing attack, you're probably going to die armor or no.

In terms survivability, in a small scale conflict (like the ones in most videogames) having a good shield and knowing how to use it properly is more apt to save your life.

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Veektarius said:

I think that sex appeal is fine and brick house female characters are great. When it comes to showing skin, though, less is more. If you met a girl dressed like that on the street, your first reaction wouldn't be 'hot', in all likelihood, it'd be "did she just break up with her boyfriend or something? Does she want money?" I think that the designer of this character should have used that as his litmus test for her outfit.

I understand what you're saying, but if I saw someone dressed like this in public, I'd either think she's a model from some new age fashion show or some sort of con is in town and she's a cos-player. Doesn't really seem like a post break up attire for even the most amorous real women.

Totally agree with the less is more theory about presenting a compelling female character in video games though.

Look how many Mass Effect fans are, "obsessed" whether jokingly or otherwise with Tali. She's by a fair margin the most subtly conveyed female relationship option from that series.

To be fair though having played a lot more of Amalur since I made this blog, very little about this game could really be said to be subtle in it's implementation.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Tennmuerti

@SoldierG654342 said:

Eh, seems on par with about all fantasy character design.

Nah, just the shitty/cheesy/generic fantasy.

Plenty of RPGs manage to avoid such basic disgusting tropes.

@SoldierG654342 said:

And if you want to bring the practicality/protection argument into play: Armor doesn't offer as much protection as most people think. Protection varries inversely to thinness (save for chain mail), and thickness is limited by the wearer. You'll still get killed in the heaviest armor because you can't move. And even with the correct balance, all armor really protects you from is wayward, un-aimed attacks that are likely to happen in a large scale battle. If someone goes for a piecing attack, you're probably going to die armor or no.

In terms surviveability, in a small scale conflict (like the ones in most videogames), having a good shield and knowing how to use it properly is more apt to save your life.

You don't have to be wearing full plate armor to have some decent protection. People can use chainmail, boiled/studed leather, etc... It's the same principle as any armor ever, it's not going to make you impervious, but it might just save your life by deflecting a blade or stopping a glancing blow. And heavily armored knights dominated a period in human history for a reason, for a long time no one had an answer to them. (she also doesn't have a shield btw)

All of this armor/protection/mobility argument is irrelevant when she is waring amounts to a leather bikini and thong.

Very practical and inconspicuous. Doesn't get akward in a fight at all. And no one pays her any attention in towns.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shun_Akiyama
    @Ertard said:

Irony, because Isabella is a whore.
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi

I'm eagerly awaiting rule 34 to take affect with this one. The results should be fun.

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SoldierG654342 said:

Eh, seems on par with about all fantasy character design. Don't see why this particular example is so egregious.

And if you want to bring the practicality/protection argument into play: Armor doesn't offer as much protection as most people think. Protection varries inversely to thickness (save for chain mail), and thickness is limited by the wearer. You'll still get killed in the heaviest armor if you can't move. And even with the correct balance, all armor really protects you from is wayward, un-aimed attacks that are likely to happen in a large scale battle. If someone goes for a piecing attack, you're probably going to die armor or no.

In terms survivability, in a small scale conflict (like the ones in most videogames) having a good shield and knowing how to use it properly is more apt to save your life.

The continued development of personal armor and the strength there of, played a hugely important part in the development of warfare throughout the history of man, only really falling to wayside a bit with the mass implementation of high penetration gunpowder munitions. Your broadly reaching speculation about its lack of efficacy in small scale combat situations is a gross misrepresentation of the truth, for example, mid to late Renaissance era full-plate was essentially impervious to weapons not specifically designed to combat it and even against such weapons still offered a significant degree of protection.

The amount of effort required to thrust a sword through a man's bare flesh and the amount of effort required to do the same to couple of centimeters of hardened steel plate, mail and padding is simply not comparable. While yes is possible to attack weaker areas of the structure, even vulnerable areas such as the inner thighs and armpits are still girded against attack and maneuvering to engage said weak points would expose an attacker to retaliation.

In regards to shields. The kind of person that would be lugging around a kite shield is not the kind of person being portrayed in Alyn Shir. While fair enough she could be using a buckler, the entire reason shields saw a reduction in size for hand to hand combat purpose was the improvement in armor. A heavy shield can be and often is more of a limitation to mobility than a full set of armor, as the weight from the armor is displaced over the entirety of the wearer's body, while a lightweight shield can be destroyed or stripped from the wearer with repeated blows.

I agree with you that this is a common fantasy design for female characters. I think the primary reason I took issue with this particular instances was that I was taken by surprise, since I hadn't paid much attention to the marketing for this game.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ShadyPingu

Okay I just met her at the fateweaver dude's house. Her getup is pretty silly, I agree, if fairly on par for the brand of fantasy that Reckoning is embracing.

I just don't know, man. If the goal is to titillate the male gamer, I feel as if there is a better way than this. Hell, the Witcher 2 was one of the bawdiest games I've ever played, but at least that game acknowledged that sex is a thing that happens - this is more the teenage version of sexuality where you're curious about the female form but don't actually know what to do.

AlphaZro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AlphaZro

Here's a question for everybody....would you have a problem with Alyn if she was a he and dressed the exact same way? ( And you know what I mean, not a dude dressed exactly like her but an outfit with the an equivalent amount of skin showing)

Now that we got that out of the way....I don't see the problem with this, it's a classic fantasy characterization, and Reckoning is Classic Fantasy so the fact that they had a scantily clad female character doesn't bug me so much, since I know years ago it would be way worse than just one character in a skimpy armor bikini.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @AlphaZro said:

Here's a question for everybody....would you have a problem with Alyn if she was a he and dressed the exact same way? ( And you know what I mean, not a dude dressed exactly like her but an outfit with the an equivalent amount of skin showing)

Yep. Considering everyone else in the world is wearing a normal amount of clothing and armor a barbarian in a codpiece would be out of place.
    If she was dressed like this in say Conan fantasy, it would be kind of appropriate.

Now that we got that out of the way....I don't see the problem with this, it's a classic fantasy characterization, and Reckoning is Classic Fantasy so the fact that they had a scantily clad female character doesn't bug me so much, since I know years ago it would be way worse than just one character in a skimpy armor bikini.

You are confusing classic fantasy ie good fantasy with generic shitty fantasy with a huge cliche trope that everyone dislikes. There is a wealth of good classic fantasy games that don't find the need to stoop this low.
    There is also a difference between simply having scantily clad female characters like say hookers in a brothel, and having a warrior assassin parade through cities in a gstring and some leather straps all day long.
    A good contrast would be Witcher 2. The game has full nudity yet it's not as out of place or eye rolling as Alyn Shir.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By makari

I wish I could be a pole remover right about now, with how far they are up your butts I'd make a killing if I charged by the metre.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @makari said:

I wish I could be a pole remover right about now, with how far they are up your butts I'd make a killing if I charged by the metre.

You're right.  We should all care less about videogames here.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Oldirtybearon

I like the character, Alyn Shir is a good character with an interesting backstory and a pretty pivotal role in the main quest... but goddamn, that outfit.

I can understand wanting her to be a sexy rogue. The way Agarth describes her, she's like a black widow, but there are much, much better ways to design an outfit that both stays consistent with the world of Amalur as well as making her silhouette distinct from other characters. Someone mentioned DA2's Isabella, and that's a good point. There is a place for that kind of design, but it doesn't feel like it belongs in Amalur. She is literally the only character in the game world that looks even remotely like that.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Ghostiet

My biggest problem with Alyn Shir's outfit is that she stands out so hard. If her attire was justified by her character, backstory, race, or simply a standard way of dressing for some of the female characters, it wouldn't be so egregious.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By Justin258

@makari said:

One of the best fucking posts I've ever read, thank you for brightening up my morning.

Not that I think these characters should be more common, but there's not much you can do about it.

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RedRavN

Does anyone think that alyn could be lulu from final fantasy 10's cousin or relative? Its the belts! Theres so many it just boggles the imagination. Who decides to just strap on belts on top of their belts?

But seriously, I found alyn to be one of the few interesting characters from the game in terms of personality. Its like she has one up on everyone and every faction in the game.

ArfArfPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArfArfPsycho

While I agree that she does look a tad out of place in comparison to other characters, I would like to input that she is in fact a rogue. Now, that's not to say that all rogue's should walk around naked, but my point is rather that the only real effective armour that would stop a straight stab from a sword, or even a glancing slash, is heavy plate armour as someone mentioned before. As a rogue, the whole idea is being fast and agile, so obviously plate armour is a no go. Even chainmail is probably too cumbersome - especially for a woman (I've tried that guys - long story - and seriously... I could barely walk). Therefore, some light leather armour is likely the only suitable attire for someone of her stature and class, which in all honesty, is not all that effective at all. No light leather armour, no matter how much of your body it covers up, is going to protect you from magic, daggers and even glancing blows from a sword, therefore, as a female rogue, she may aswell wander around as she does. Afterall, as a rogue, your only real shot at surviving anyway is suprise attacks, dirty tactics and being fast enough to avoid being hit in the first place.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Doctorchimp

When I first saw her I couldn't comprehend who she was.

I thought she was a sprite/nymph/spriggan enemy that spawned in the house. Only after she talked to me and then vanished in a puff of smoke did I realize I was supposed to assume she killed the fateweaver because she was an assassin...or something.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Storms

Gotta love the people saying "Oh, she isn't that under-dressed". I HAVE HAD SEX WITH PEOPLE WHO WERE WEARING MORE CLOTHING. How much more under-dressed could she be

This has nothing to do with prudishness, it's just dumb. I can excuse a lot of things because this is a sillier type of fantasy game than I'd usually play but this completely eliminates my suspension of disbelief every time I see it.

@ArfArfPsycho

: Your knowledge of armor is lacking. Chain mail can stop some stabs and pretty much all slashes -- not even katanas phase chainmail, I've seen this with my own eyes. The legendary weapon of the samurai can cut through a car, but chainmail pattern is impervious to any slashing attack.

Even leather armor is like an extra half inch of  tough skin and would be pretty good protection against something like a bit of flame or a glancing blow. Hell, a silk shirt would be better than a bra and panties as armor. Now, if it was as you say, and she was relying on never getting hit, it would indeed be a different story. But as you progress through the main quest, you see her engage in direct brawls all the time. 
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @ArfArfPsycho said:

While I agree that she does look a tad out of place in comparison to other characters, I would like to input that she is in fact a rogue. Now, that's not to say that all rogue's should walk around naked, but my point is rather that the only real effective armour that would stop a straight stab from a sword, or even a glancing slash, is heavy plate armour as someone mentioned before. As a rogue, the whole idea is being fast and agile, so obviously plate armour is a no go. Even chainmail is probably too cumbersome - especially for a woman (I've tried that guys - long story - and seriously... I could barely walk). Therefore, some light leather armour is likely the only suitable attire for someone of her stature and class, which in all honesty, is not all that effective at all. No light leather armour, no matter how much of your body it covers up, is going to protect you from magic, daggers and even glancing blows from a sword, therefore, as a female rogue, she may aswell wander around as she does. Afterall, as a rogue, your only real shot at surviving anyway is suprise attacks, dirty tactics and being fast enough to avoid being hit in the first place.

And yet through out human history we have used leather armor for protection. Just because it will not stop a direct blow from a sword does not make it useless or inefective. It's there to migitage glancing slashing blows, reduce impact of blunt instruments  and reduce deep penetration. Leather armor has saved many a life. Also magic protection ... that makes no sense, considering all armor in the game can carry magic resistances.
    This argument has already been made and rebuffed in this thread.

Secondly having no protection does not equate to walking around ass naked in a bikini. Everyone else wears clothes. Walking around in a g-string in every city makes her real fucking inconspicuous, i'm sure people pay less attention to a naked rogue. Subtle and stealthy it is not. Even a self admited slut like Isabela in DA2 wears some clothes.
    ArfArfPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArfArfPsycho

@Storms: You obviously misread my post, or don't understand what the word cumbersome means. I never said chainmail would be ineffective against swords, I said that it would be ineffective for a rogue as it would be impossible to move and jump around in for someone of her size. As to the leather thing, I shall answer below.

@Tennmuerti: The leather armour a rogue such as herself would need for maneuverability would be much thinner than that of the hardened battle ready warriors throughout history. This kind of armour would be unlikely to even protect all that much against glancing blows as they would still reach the skin. Yes, I concede that any armour would be better than her relative nakedness, I'm simply saying that it wouldn't be all that much better and trying to offer a different perspective to those who seem really put off by it.

And to your second point, that is something I never disputed. I already stated that she does tend to make herself stick out like a sore thumb and that definately doesn't lend well to subterfuge, however I guess that's her prerogative. Perhaps she intends to distract everyone with her body so they can't see what her hands are doing eh? Or maybe she's just a hoe. :P

I'm actually a huge history buff, and yes people did use leather a lot throughout history, but it was harder, battle ready armour, not used for the rogue archetype we see in fantasy games as it would once again have been more difficult to move in. Overall however, she probably should put some clothes on and cover herself up, if nothing else but for decency's sake, however from a battle point of view, it doesn't make a remarkable amount of difference for a rogue. Though I do accept that yes, perhaps that small amount of difference could be the life saver, but its a small chance. Still a chance all the same I suppose, and one if she were a real person she probably should have taken into consideration.

largo6661

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By largo6661

@BelligerentEngine: dude i totaly agree with you, i find it insane that a women would wear belts in to combat ;/

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Shun_Akiyama said:

@Ertard said:

Irony, because Isabella is a whore.

Isabella was an offensive joke in many ways.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BrockNRolla

They definitely could have done a better job in her outfit choice. The rant is warranted. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of latent sexism in an industry dominated by men.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yep, it's gotta be the worst offence of this kind i've ever seen

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By Kierkegaard

Bothered me, too. Reckoning's writing has pretty good sexual politics so far. Her outfit is weird. My female sorceress's unfazed, critical eyes that never stop staring seem just as annoyed at this gaf as I do. Course, she looks that way at everything, but she seems especially put off. I do like that my character is well dressed and only scantily clad when I forget that replacing robes with chest or leg armor only leads to bra or underwear.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#42  Edited By Lazyaza

Did you ever stop and think maybe she likes wearing that weird stuff and its completely comfortable and practical for her to wear? She's not exactly a normal character within the games fiction, if you complete the main story you'll see. Way I see it if we're going to complain about an elf lady wearing leather straps, why not complain about soldiers running at the speed of a small automobile wearing top heavy full body plate armor while wielding swords 6 times their size and weight.

The "I don't want to see silly outfits in an already silly game" argument is old, tiresome and stupid. People need to stop with it already.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By veektarius

@Lazyaza: It isn't really a silly game, is it? It seemed to play its fiction pretty straight.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Storms

@ArfArfPsycho:  I never said chainmail would be ineffective against swords

@ArfArfPsycho:   the only real effective armour that would stop a straight stab from a sword, or even a glancing slash, is heavy plate armour

You later go on to say that chainmail would be cumbersome for a rogue. And full chain certainly would and be noisy to boot. But you could have armor that is made of some parts soft leather, some parts hard leather (maybe with metal studs) and even some portions fortified with chainmail. It wouldn't be cumbersome but would be pretty protective.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#45  Edited By Lazyaza

@Veektarius: When I said silly I didn't mean un-serious so much as un-realistic, I was talking more specifically about the art direction. The biggest problem the game has aside from being kinda weak in the story/lore department is its muddled design aesthetics. While I don't agree that Alyn stands out given their are other characters dressed in equally impracticle attire, such as the various elf npcs who wear that one piece pantless cloth getup that would surely require double sided tape to work. I do agree that the game needed a more unique look to it. I was constantly impressed by the designs of the monsters and creatures for example but alot of the armor and weapons are pretty bland until you get to the very high end stuff. Even then my lvl 38 in full epics just looks like any other pointy armored fantasy dood.

doublezeroduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By doublezeroduck

The characters look like they are from the art off the Forgotten Realms books. Too light fantasy for me.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Much like Rule 34, if a game exists there is fanservice in it, deal with it. Hell, almost every type of media has a great deal of fanservice, though it's not quite as universal as it is in games.

ArfArfPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArfArfPsycho

@Storms: Heh fair enough. I meant when mentioning chainmail that while it would also work - though slightly less effectively than plate armour - it would be too cumbersome.

And while I see what you're getting at with the some parts soft, some hard leather thing, it would have to be very small amounts of chainmail used so as not to make it too heavy. It's really easy to underestimate just how heavy chainmail is, especially for a woman of her stature. If you could somehow make armour of soft leather with small fortifications of chainmail however so as to make it effective in battle but still light, it would be great attire for a rogue. However it would take one hell of a designer and smithy to pull it off properly.

Scattergories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Scattergories

@BelligerentEngine said:

@Veektarius said:

I understand what you're saying, but if I saw someone dressed like this in public, I'd either think she's a model from some new age fashion show or some sort of con is in town and she's a cos-player. Doesn't really seem like a post break up attire for even the most amorous real women.

Totally agree with the less is more theory about presenting a compelling female character in video games though.

Look how many Mass Effect fans are, "obsessed" whether jokingly or otherwise with Tali. She's by a fair margin the most subtly conveyed female relationship option from that series.

To be fair though having played a lot more of Amalur since I made this blog, very little about this game could really be said to be subtle in it's implementation.

That's funny that you mention Tali because after doing some random research into this character both Ash Sroka (voice actress for Tali) and Abby Craden (voice of Alyn Shir) were in the Blood+ anime. Interesting overlap don't you think?

BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Scattergories said:

@BelligerentEngine said:

@Veektarius said:

That's funny that you mention Tali because after doing some random research into this character both Ash Sroka (voice actress for Tali) and Abby Craden (voice of Alyn Shir) were in the Blood+ anime. Interesting overlap don't you think?

I don't really watch anime so I'm not familiar with Blood+. It's an interesting coincidence, though not super surprising, many voice actors are pretty prolific.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.