Best way to play Reckoning?

#1 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

I've been playing Reckoning for 14ish hours and I feel like I'm sort of floating as a character. I'm curious to know what you think is the most fun or rewarding style of play. I've been playing with daggers and some magic, but it just doesn't feel like a particularly appealing combination.

What kind of class building are you doing? What sort of gear do you use? What seems like the best way to play?

#2 Edited by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Pure might. I find hammers to be the most fun but the other weapons are good too. The combat isn't very deep so I try to spice it up by using two melee weapons and swapping between them in combat. I can usually get a nice combo going but the variety of combos isn't all that great.
 
Edit: I am not saying this is the best way, it's just the way I like it.

#3 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

I have been using might and magic down an even split. My character uses might armor and mage gloves most of the time. I think its pretty fun. I play mostly melee with a greatsword and use ice barrage and the lightning spell to combo with and do damage. There is a nice combo with the lighting that in its second tier it gets a chance to stun. There is a might talent that gives you extra damage to stunned targets so thats a good synergy. I mainly use a greatsword and staff/chakrams.

Really you can do fine with any build but make sure your points are evenly distributed so you get the fate cards at a lowest level as possible.

#4 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

I'm playing as full finesse, but thinking about going finesse/sorcery later on just because "Poison Blink" sounds so damn awesome.
 
I've been using daggers and faeblades with armor boosting my crits or whatever I have that's the coolest at the time. Over at my buddy's place though, him and his roommates all seem to be going might/sorcery, and seeing later builds of that, it does look pretty badass, but then again I'm sure all later builds look pretty badass. The cool thing is there really is no wrong way to play the game. Just keep at it, and eventually you'll find a skill path that you'll want to invest more in depending on your play style. If you're unsure, just go to a fateweaver and respec. It's cheap (price goes up after each time though) and it gives you a chance to play around with possible builds.
 
Also if it seems kinda boring, try upping the difficulty a bit. I've been playing on hard the whole time, and it's is completely playable. Normal just turned into a snooze-fest as everything was super easy to take care of.

#5 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@wolf_blitzer85 said:

Also if it seems kinda boring, try upping the difficulty a bit. I've been playing on hard the whole time, and it's is completely playable. Normal just turned into a snooze-fest as everything was super easy to take care of.

Thanks for the advice on the difficulty. I'm going to try that.

#6 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@RedRavN said:

I have been using might and magic down an even split. My character uses might armor and mage gloves most of the time. I think its pretty fun. I play mostly melee with a greatsword and use ice barrage and the lightning spell to combo with and do damage. There is a nice combo with the lighting that in its second tier it gets a chance to stun. There is a might talent that gives you extra damage to stunned targets so thats a good synergy. I mainly use a greatsword and staff/chakrams.

Really you can do fine with any build but make sure your points are evenly distributed so you get the fate cards at a lowest level as possible.

Early magic hasn't been particularly satisfying for me. How high of a level were you before you felt like you were getting access to good spell abilities?

#7 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@BrockNRolla:

I'm full Finesse. Daggers or Faeblades with Bow as Secondary. Enjoying the crap out of it. The ultimate Finesse active skill 'Gambit' is a blast. Spreading out a 20+ mines minefield by the push of a button is a total blast.

Protip: DO NOT CRAFT GEAR!

It makes scavening and looting so much more rewarding and fun. Every yellow, purple and blue piece of loot will excite you. It could be that upgrade you clamor for. Crafting just spoils the lootfest aspect of it to some degree (and crafted gear looks boring in comparison to unique epics), especially if you outlevel the content (which you likely will, since there's so much content - I'll be 30 before I'm done with the second questing zone)

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@Seppli said:

@BrockNRolla:

Protip: DO NOT CRAFT GEAR!

I'm kind of doing this, just because nothing is dropping that I can use, I'm actually starting to consider investing in crafting skill because I'm so over levelled compared to my gear, haven't had a decent set of daggers drop in over 10 levels now.

#9 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@Kidavenger said:

@Seppli said:

@BrockNRolla:

Protip: DO NOT CRAFT GEAR!

I'm kind of doing this, just because nothing is dropping that I can use, I'm actually starting to consider investing in crafting skill because I'm so over levelled compared to my gear, haven't had a decent set of daggers drop in over 10 levels now.

Loot drops seem to be dependent on where you're at. Lvl-appropriate loot relative to the content you're playing, rather than lvl-appropriate for your actual character-lvl. As far as I can tell, having not dabbled in gear crafting yet in the full game, you'll get way too powerful gear way too quickly and all the beautiful unique epics go to waste, respectively 'get salvaged'. The game's somewhat too easy without minmaxing, and that's playing on 'hard'. I do get upgrades quite frequently though. Every chest, every dive spot, every enemy might yield that next sweet piece of gear.

I much prefer that over crafting some bland looking (I suppose?), but totally overpowered equipment.

#10 Posted by Adamsons (873 posts) -

Full sorcery - your summon steals health every time it hits and its combo is 7 hits long. You can mark 7 enemies with mark of flame. Else if that fails, just asplode everything with meteor.
 
Id probably go crafting eventually though, unless you are really lucky with drops. Except for the placed sets in the role respective factions, I didn't see a complete magic set once (in fact I never got more than 2 pieces of one set) and I used the same staff for about 20 levels, more of a stat stick though.

#11 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

@BrockNRolla:

I suppose magic gets good once you get either mark of flame or ice barrage to do direct damage. Also, a good pair of chakrams is very useful. If you go might/magic then the heal spell can be super useful. I would definately recommend hard difficulty because on normal mode you can just walk up and smack everything without ever blocking or using combos. I started on hard mode and the game is actually getting even easier as I get better geared and have more abilities.

#12 Posted by benspyda (2051 posts) -

I started might/magic combo but realized I was far more powerful sticking to might. I just use greatswords/hammers and relentless assault to overcome the slower initial swing. I'm enjoying it so far.

#13 Posted by BigDaddyTool (33 posts) -

Full sorcery here. The chakrams are my favorite weapon in the game, and all of the elemental spells are pretty fun to play with.

#14 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

So I just respecced pure Might, coming from pure Finesse. Relentless Assault turns combat into a joke. Just turn it on. Debuff the lot with that Warcry. Swing your Greatsword around in whatever manner you please. Thanks to Relentless Assault there's no such thing as proper execution. Everybody who plays a Might build and uses Relentless Assault does indeed suffer from dull combat. I'll be switching to pure Sorcery in a session or two, but I suspect Finesse truely is the way combat is best, since it has neither Unrelenting Assault or a BFG Onehitkill Ulitmate active skill like the Sorc has.

And Gambit pretty much trumps anything all in the fun and style department. Hands down.

#15 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

I am getting close to finishing Reckoning, only the last few zones to go (it's been slow, doing every sidequest). And am actually thinking of doing a second playthrough.
But with a few twists:

  • on hard obviously
  • as pure finesse as this seem to be the most active and demanding class
  • no blacksmithing, no sagecrafting (which is even more OP), no alchemy
  • no hunting down sagestones
  • the big one: Only going to do the main questline and faction quests. No sidequests period. A because i want to see how fast it would take, just mainlining the game B because it will limit XP in a huge way making the game even harder C i want to see just how will the game rubberband me, as i suspect it will not allow me to fall behind the lvl curve due to much greater XP rewards when killing tougher enemies
Basically going to beeline it, doing the best content as fast as possible, for better experience and more of a challange.
 
@Seppli
Towards the later parts of the game I am actually not even bothering with Relentless Assault in most battles. After soooo much combat you start to just know all the monster ranges/speeds (also partly since there are not that many types) and your own moveset.
It also appears I have been gravely mistaken in my dislike for static dmg skills when compared to weapon dmg output. But in a reverse way. Because weapons stop scaling halfway through the game. Once you get the top tier materials you basically plateu, a greatsword tops at about 250 paperdoll a hammer at 300. And even tho I do around 1k on a stadard swing (ocasionaly getting into the 2k range a crit when buffed by enemy kills) the top tier magic spells can do even more and mana is a non issue.
By the way Bolgan strikes actually ignore Relentless Assault and will stagger you even through it. It's wierd.
#16 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@Tennmuerti:

Sounds like a great plan for a second playthrough. Might do so too with a pure allrounder character. If I manage to get it done before SSX hits that is.

#17 Posted by Flaboere (343 posts) -

I'm playing might/sorc now, think i have 19 in both, and i'm just regular swinging away, and have mana shield on. I use the lightning spell now and then, mostly to stagger. But mostly it's just swinging away. But i'm thinking maybe i should go full sorc instead. How are mana-issues?

#18 Posted by Demoskinos (15160 posts) -

Jack of all trades. Seriously. In most RPG games I really enjoy making specialized builds but reckoning thrives when your doing everything. The ja k of all trades destinies give you +1 to all skills and the final one does +2 to all skills. Also reduces equip requirements. Its really THE way to play if you ask me at least.

#19 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

Thanks for all the input guys! This is giving me a lot of new ideas for how to approach the game.

#20 Posted by BatmanReturned (49 posts) -

Finesse, as Jeff mentioned in the most recent Bombcast enemies just cannot keep up with you, even low level you are nearly unstoppable.

#21 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@BatmanReturned said:

Finesse, as Jeff mentioned in the most recent Bombcast enemies just cannot keep up with you, even low level you are nearly unstoppable.

But doesn't that make the game not fun?

#22 Posted by BatmanReturned (49 posts) -

@BrockNRolla: In a way I suppose but finesse is also a lot more involved than the other classes. You've got to be on your feet dodging and mixing up moves more than might or sorcery. And there are enemies who are not as easily phased by your attacks.

#23 Posted by CosmicQueso (572 posts) -

Also jack of all trades, mostly chakram with some stealth/dagger stuff thrown in. Sticking mostly to the main quest, because the side quests bore the heck outta me. May go back and do some factions, but since I really don't like MMO's I'm trying to stay away from those parts that remind me most of them.

#24 Posted by steveurkel (166 posts) -

I've been playing this off and on and keep getting really bored or losing interest. I'm only level 6 but I feel like I've been playing for 20 hours because of all the running around you have to do...
 
My biggest problem is "should I be salvaging or selling everything?" If someone can answer that I can probably continue playing instead of waffling between not knowing what to do. I am so indecisive and it sucks. I need to decide if I should be selling everything and buying from vendors, or salvaging everything - early game the loot doesn't match what I can buy compared to what I can craft, please any help?

#25 Posted by Kidavenger (3629 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@BatmanReturned said:

Finesse, as Jeff mentioned in the most recent Bombcast enemies just cannot keep up with you, even low level you are nearly unstoppable.

But doesn't that make the game not fun?

It would be boring if you were only up against one enemy at a time, but that is almost never the case, against a group you have to be switching between targets fairly often to keep them all off of you. I suspect this is the same no matter what spec you are though.

#26 Posted by BrockNRolla (1694 posts) -

@steveurkel said:

I've been playing this off and on and keep getting really bored or losing interest. I'm only level 6 but I feel like I've been playing for 20 hours because of all the running around you have to do... My biggest problem is "should I be salvaging or selling everything?" If someone can answer that I can probably continue playing instead of waffling between not knowing what to do. I am so indecisive and it sucks. I need to decide if I should be selling everything and buying from vendors, or salvaging everything - early game the loot doesn't match what I can buy compared to what I can craft, please any help?

Depends on whether or not you want to craft. I sell almost everything. Some people have been suggesting that crafting makes the game a bit too easy, so maybe it depends on whether you're looking for more of a challenge or not. I have ridiculous amounts of money at all times.

#27 Posted by CosmicQueso (572 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@steveurkel said:

I've been playing this off and on and keep getting really bored or losing interest. I'm only level 6 but I feel like I've been playing for 20 hours because of all the running around you have to do... My biggest problem is "should I be salvaging or selling everything?" If someone can answer that I can probably continue playing instead of waffling between not knowing what to do. I am so indecisive and it sucks. I need to decide if I should be selling everything and buying from vendors, or salvaging everything - early game the loot doesn't match what I can buy compared to what I can craft, please any help?

Depends on whether or not you want to craft. I sell almost everything. Some people have been suggesting that crafting makes the game a bit too easy, so maybe it depends on whether you're looking for more of a challenge or not. I have ridiculous amounts of money at all times.

Crafting is a kind of fun break in the hack n slash action, but not necessary. And I've yet to buy something from a vendor, the drops generally give me everything I'd need or want. So, if you just want to get to the main questline (which is what I'm doing) loot up, pick and choose gear you want, sell the rest and don't worry about crafting or gems or potions. They're totally unnecessary to get through the game.

#28 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -

@steveurkel: i would recommend deciding on a build and then selling the items you don't plan on using. Also, it seems like vendors keep what you sell them for a really long time so you can rebuy things if you feel like you made a mistake.

#29 Posted by steveurkel (166 posts) -

Thanks for the advice. This is annoying because I am trying to do alchemy and I can only add one embereyes and one black cohosh and I can't choose a second one even though I am alchemy 4 and have 3 slots I can craft potions with. I need 2 black cohosh and 1 embereyes and when I put either of them into the box it wont let me choose a 3rd one (unless it is a different reagent) - what is the problem here?

#30 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

Mostly rogue/thief for me as far as the gear but putting the ability points in all 3 to get the one destiny that gives +1 to all skills, I tend to only salvage the gear that might have useful things on it & crafting some. So far it's been fun for a single player mmo type of game though I feel that there's many times when the combat feels rather cheap (where you can get swarmed with attacks that should be blocked but for some reason don't when using the shield). As I've been dumping all the points in finding hidden stuff & healing gems I tend to avoid alchemy but things are much better now that I've put a few points in dispel as those curses can just bite. Best to just put a few points in it then save before trying it, then try the auto dispel as that minigame is just not fun, or get cursed & see what's inside then reload the game to open it up without dying from the curse(s).

#31 Posted by steveurkel (166 posts) -

Wow this is worse than I thought - I switched to greatswords and sold all myfinesse gear and I am basically naked and am getting owned by this boss in one or two shots. lol people who want a challenge play with only a weapon and no armor :|

#32 Edited by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

Been playing Might/Sorcery, and as I posted in another thread, it's just stupid. Ofc it has something to do with my crafted armor, but the combo of Plate armor, destiny armor and resistance buff (once you reach high enough level), Hardy constitution, Stoneskin and Sphere of Protection almost makes you invulnerable. But the cherry on top is the health loss = mana and mana = heals infinite loop. Even if you actually start taking damage, nothing will hurt you quickly enough to not give you plenty of time to just heal back up again. And it's not like you're doing bad damage with Battle Frenzy and Tempest at your disposal. For the last 20 hours or so I've played I've not used a single health or mana regen item or pot, just self-sustained with my own heals and mana gain (and yes, I'm playing on hard).

#33 Posted by Supermarius (1196 posts) -
@steveurkel you dont need to use the correct ratio when you are trying to discover a potion. Just use one of each reagent and it should work
#34 Posted by RedRavN (414 posts) -

@steveurkel:

Mate you need to track down a greater potion recipe to start using the extra ingedients. You might be able to unlock the recipe by using the experiement function so you can get it early. You will find the greater recipes in shops as you get farther in the game. I have been using might/sorcery with greatsword and its really fun. Once I got bloodlust I became stupidly more powerful if you can get the first couple kills off to activate it. Also, the lightning spells comboed with the might skill that gets you +damage to stunned enemies is very strong.

#35 Posted by Nux (2424 posts) -

I'm playing as a finesse/sorcery build, its fast moving and gives you some nice options in battle.

Online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.