Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Could this be 2012 sleeper hit?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

Up until today i had no idea what Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning was all about. Hell, I didn't even know that there was a company called Big Huge Games. So I just got done watching the EA press conference and when this game came on I thought to myself  "Ok another action RPG". However as the game "demo" started the presenter mentioned three names that are very well known in the fantasy universe. 

The first is lead designer Ken Rolston who is very well known to be the lead designer on two of the most revered RPG games of all times, Elder Scrolls III and IV. The second is world and lore creator and  R.A. Salvatore who is very well known for creating one of the most iconic characters in the D&D world Forgotten Realms including a very famous drow and his work in the star wars universe. And last is none other then the mastermind behind Spawn, Todd McFarlane, who will be creating the artwork for the game. 

With these names behind a single game you would think that Big Huge Games have hit a home run but given how games with big names attached to them have a tendency to fall short then I still have a reservation towards it. This game can potentially become a great success story and I really hope it would be as it looks promising and the names attached to it are certainly big.  

What do you guys think? Do you think this game will be good enough to actually be a game we mention when talking about Skyrim? Or do you think this game and it's developer have bitten off more then their mouths could chew? 

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By valrog

Who knows? I don't have much hopes for Skyrim, but I like what I saw from Reckoning so far. Unless it fails miserably, I will probably prefer it over Skyrim.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By sixpin

Sadly big names don't always make for a great game. It might be good. I'm not sure yet. What they showed at EA's press event yesterday wasn't enough to 100% win me over. I'm still looking forward to Skyrim more than Reckoning. That said, I hope Reckoning is great because I like the people involved.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

Not really a Sleeper....

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

I welcome the game with open arms.  Seems people are making RPGs less and less these days or they are becoming hybridized with other genres to the point they don't resemble one anymore.

springtoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By springtoast

To me the big names don't mean anything: Never read a Salvatore book, never seen any McFarlane art I thought was cool and as much as I like ES3 and ES4 I'm not sure if it means anything for an action RPG.

The graphics looked stylized for sure, but something was off, as if I was looking at a 3-year-old footage or something.

It could very well blow my mind away come 2012, considering how low my expectations are now.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
    deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

It looked pretty lame to me. Maybe I will be surprised.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I doubt it'll be a sleeper. There isn't much fuss over it at the moment, but that's because it's still a long way off and we still no practically nothing about it. Closer to release, once word gets out and people see that it's a big open world game, there will be excitement, regardless of how it turns out. Personally, I'm pretty worried by all the big names attached to it. Instead of a couple of game designers putting together something like the Elder Scroll series, we have a bunch of big names all developing it.. could turn into a huge mess very quickly.

Avatar image for deathmachine117
    Deathmachine117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Deathmachine117

I don't know I thought Kingdoms just looked a bit bland, the art style looked borrowed from every other fantasy game and the combat just boring and simplistic.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.