Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

I'm actually quite excited about this game

trylks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By trylks

Which is not usually the case. This game seems to be all what fable 2 should have been. After fable 1 I could picture a game like this (more than like fable 2), and finally it looks like it's becoming a reality. I can't believe they (the industry as a whole) took so much time to produce it, but I'm very happy it is finally done.

Sure enough it is very far from being "the ultimate game" for its genre*, but it's looking quite good.

* saints row is probably closer to that goal (for its genre), I mean, what else could be included in that game?

Rave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Rave

Art style still doesn't impress me but the ask me anything with Brad has intrested me alot more. I just hope it is more like elder scrolls then dragon age or fable in lore and detail.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By valrog

I was very excited for it, but I'm not sure how I feel now that it reminds me so much of Fable...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

It's written by Bobby Sal, so get ready for it be FUCKING CLICHE, but hey, I'm still in. Art style definitely looks like we need new consoles.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

The combat alone looks great enough for me to buy it.

Anything else will be bonus.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Was going to pass on this, but then i saw Brad's video of it. The gameplay looks cool and i like the colourful game world.

I don't think the title is doing the game any favours though, sounds kinda generic.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By RVonE

@Brodehouse said:

It's written by Bobby Sal, so get ready for it be FUCKING CLICHE, but hey, I'm still in. Art style definitely looks like we need new consoles.

It's video games, so get ready for it to be FUCKING CLICHE.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TobbRobb

Shitty title, probably shitty story.

AMAZING looking art and combat. I'm so fucking getting this.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BigChickenDinner

I pretty sure it was the latest Bombcast where they were talking about this game, and how they hate how its being referred to as just "Reckoning", it was kinda irritating. I also remember them talking about how its based off an MMO that was put into development AFTER this game's development was started? It sounds kinda like a clusterfuck, but the art is nice, and the combat could be neat, I like the idea of a cover system and such in a game like this.

EDIT: ehehe post 69

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jack268

I think the whole questing system REALLY does a good job at making it look like a single player MMO. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, as long as the world is as huge as it seems and the quests and combat manage to stay exciting throughout the whole game.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fetchfox

I kind of want to like this game, but I really dislike the artstyle... You may say that's no good reason to ditch a game, but if I'm going to look at it for hours and hours, it's a very good reason.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

It looks really cool so far- and since it's like the only new IP coming up next year that has any hype- I'm definitely going to play it.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

It does look pretty interesting and I'm definitely looking forward to more. I do hope they change how the conversations look because I don't like how much the screen minimizes. I also wasn't too keen on how the UI looks. Besides those things, the game looks neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like the way it looks and everything Rich touches is gold, so it should be good.

Seesic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Seesic

I'm interested though at this point it could go either way for me. It looks cool but I'm not sure how long I'd play it for. I need a better sense of the world, and then I'll know.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themangalist

@Trylks said:

Which is not usually the case. This game seems to be all what fable 2 should have been. After fable 1 I could picture a game like this (more than like fable 2), and finally it looks like it's becoming a reality. I can't believe they (the industry as a whole) took so much time to produce it, but I'm very happy it is finally done.

The thing that defines Fable for me is the morality, the "consequences"(though very weak), and the "openness" (which isn't much). Kingdom of Whatever: Something is more like WoW with Fable combat. But I'd hardly call it a Fable "done right".

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArcLyte

as long as the story is passable, i'm down. the combat and rpg mechanics look awesome.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Cincaid

I'm also very excited, seems like a MMO made for single player which is actually what I've wanted from a game for a long time. Maybe I'm alone on this thought, but I would totally play the hell out of a single player World of Warcraft for example. Weird, I know.

The only thing that is somewhat disappointing is the fugly UI...it really looks underwhelming.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

The combat looks really great and if there are points that I can assign to skills and stuff, I am even more intrigued. Other than that, I'm still a little weary of it. 

MMO style questing can get old for me really fast, but if it's much more than just kill 20 dudes whenever you get to a new area followed by collect 15 pelts from the 20 dudes that you just killed but didn't count towards that quest because you didn't turn in the "kill 20 dudes" quest yet so you have to kill 15+ more of the same dude, then I'll definitely give it a closer look.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By emergency

@themangalist said:

@Trylks said:

The thing that defines Fable for me is the morality, the "consequences"(though very weak), and the "openness" (which isn't much). Kingdom of Whatever: Something is more like WoW with Fable combat. But I'd hardly call it a Fable "done right".

Wait what? The things that define Fable for you seem pretty fable. Weak consequences? Not much openness but still some..?

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By themangalist

@emergency said:

@themangalist said:

@Trylks said:

Wait what? The things that define Fable for you seem pretty fable. Weak consequences? Not much openness but still some..?

What don't you understand? The things that define Fable for me is SUPPOSED to be pretty Fable. I'm just saying Kingdom of Thing isn't like Fable in terms of... being Fable.

Avatar image for deactivated-60844520306be
    deactivated-60844520306be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TobbRobb said:

Shitty title, probably shitty story.

AMAZING looking art and combat. I'm so fucking getting this.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai

@Brodehouse said:

Salvatore only wrote the history of the game world and gave initial ideas for the main story line.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By veektarius

@Mordukai: Based on the story trailers, whoever he handed it off to only made it worse.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pweidman

Finally a decent Fable game, lol.   The combat and the art are both awesome.  First day play for me.
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Wuddel

I love RPGs. Love Fable etc. What puts me off is the action combat. I like combat in RPGs to be dice rolls and winning to be determined by making smart choices and combining abilities rather than "skill".

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pezen

The art style has me on the fence, and the recent Bombcast interview made me even more unsure. One of them (I can't recall their names) just made too much fuss with a high pitched voice whenever he was talking about how it was something new it almost felt like he was trying to convince himself. Also, when they began talking about pattern recognition in enemies you fight.. blah. I am sure some will enjoy it but I'm skeptical at best, glad there's a demo coming.

theWarren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By theWarren

That was Ken Roslston. He's been making RPG's of all sorts since the '70's. He's a little eccentric if you couldn't tell, but he has a good track record when it comes to these games. This game isn't Skyrim, it's not Fable. He's trying to get across that it is something different. While it takes good points from many great games, it's trying to meld them all into something fun.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By retrovirus

I like the look of the combat, and one-button loot sounds handy. Definitely want to see more footage, though, before I make a decision.

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Zelyre

Looks sweet, and I'm pretty interested in it.

I'd like to see some PC footage, though. Most importantly, the UI. I don't care for health and mana bars that take up a large portion of the screen. Not that its game breaking or anything, but it's a pet peeve.

Hopefully it ends up on Steam. I'd preorder it, and my friends tend to pick up games I pick up. Otherwise, I'll snag it on Amazon. Origin tacks on a 10% tax onto my purchases.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mordukai

@Pezen: LMAO. You get used to Ken Rolston...eccentricity. I just wonder how it is working with him on a daily basis. You might not know him but you do know the games he made. He was lead designer on 2 little known games called The Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls IV:Oblivion.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pezen

@theWarren@Mordukai: Ah I see, now it makes sense naming wise. I commented on this off the top of my head. I haven't heard/seen him talk before so it was a bit jarring as that type of random voice fluctuations tend to imply someone being nervous rather than excited, and I don't doubt his credentials. Nevertheless, I'm curious to see if it'll win me over or not, I'm skeptical at best right now but I think that has more to do with the art design than anything. Maybe the demo is a better marketing tool than what they've been throwing out there.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CptBedlam

It's the opposite for me. The game couldn't look any more generic in my opinion. And according to people who played it, there are lot's of boring mmo-style quests in this game ("destroy 10 boxes" or "kill x amount of enemy type y"). Maybe the combat will save it.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for the demo!

g6065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By g6065

My excitement level has certainly been growing as the release date approaches. Hearing that there is to be a demo only increases it!

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By coakroach

I'm gonna wait for a review to confirm that the game isn't busted technically, but i'm actually cautiously optimistic.

It looks like a big colorful world I can fuck around in as a crazy wizard.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Seppli

Will likely be my frist game purchase of 2012. Unless the demo kills it for me. I doubt that will happen though.

My gut feeling tells me, this will be my favorite game of all of 2012.

It's an original experience too. Sequels, no matter how much better they are, rarely have the impact of an original. If it delivers what it sets out to do, it's 'GotY 2012' material.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By captain_clayman

this game seems really promising. the combat looks like my kind of game for sure. i'll wait it out for reviews. my brother will probably get it for his birthday though because he seems to be into it so we'll play it.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingzetta
    @Seppli said:

Will likely be my frist game purchase of 2012. Unless the demo kills it for me. I doubt that will happen though.

It's an original experience too. Sequels, no matter how much better they are, rarely have the impact of an original. If it delivers what it sets out to do, it's 'GotY 2012' material.

yeah it's like playing elder scrolls or dragon age orgins for the 1st time.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mordukai

@Seppli said:

Also from a new company. I can't even imagine the amount of pressure on those guys.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.