Is it possible to role play in Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning?

#1 Posted by Legion_ (1496 posts) -

Hey there guys and girls. Been thinking about finally playing Reckoning, because it's kind of a RPG draught right now, and the combat in the game looks super good. There's one thing keeping me on the fence though.

Generally when I play RPGs, I love to just make a mercenary type character that just lives in the world like everyone else. Like in Skyrim, my main character is a dunmer rouge that just takes on stray jobs. I haven't even started the main quest with that character, so not a single dragon can ruin my experience with the game. Just now I'm done building my own little cabin in the woods, fitting it with the books and items I want there.

For some, this might seem super boring, but I love to play that way. Anyway, back to the question at hand. Is it possible to role play like this in Kingdoms of Amalur, or are you basically required to do the main quest?

#2 Posted by JBG4 (430 posts) -

There are menial side quests that will keep you occupied but you aren't going to have the immersive role-playing experience that you will in an Elder Scrolls game. I will say that I really liked the game and it is definitely in my Top 10 for the year. Very fluid combat. I would give it a go but just know going in that it doesn't have the same depth or character interaction as Skyrim.

#3 Posted by HH (617 posts) -

It took me a long time to really get into this, but just this past week i lost myself in it. i finished the main quest and rerolled immediately with a roleplay character, i can tell you it is plenty easy to just go off and do your own thing, although the final third of the map does seem to be locked off until you get there through the main quest, unless there is another way I don't know about.

I recommend Kingdoms as a solid rpg fix, the world is interesting once you get used to the bland nature of the dialogue scenes, and the weapon options make for a good variety in approaches to combat, i also really like the destinies class system, i figured players would naturally gravitate towards the top tier of each style every time, making the lower tiers just stepping stones, but thanks to the carefully balanced skill trees, it's much more specifically how you want to perform in combat that decides where your points go, and i ended up with interesting results class-wise on both characters - one melee-heavy Crusader, one chakram/faeblade Polymath.

I will most certainly be returning to this game.

#4 Edited by believer258 (12106 posts) -

Kingoms of Amalur: Reckoning is not Skyrim. It has a bunch of sidequests and you can roleplay in the Bioware sense (i.e. there's a set story and you can be an asshole, a guy of incorruptible pureness, or a few things somewhere in between) but not in the "fuck saving the world, I want to become the world's best blacksmith" Elder Scrolls type sense.

It's worth noting that from the ten or so hours I've played of it, the world seems to open up pretty well. If you start the game and decide you want to do other things and wander to other places, you can - but unlike Skyrim, the game expects you to get down to business at some point or another.

It's also a very easy game, I recommend bumping the difficulty up to hard.

#5 Posted by CaLe (4041 posts) -

Dragons don't ruin anything in Skyrim.

#6 Posted by project343 (2837 posts) -

While I'm sure it's possible, I just don't think the world is compelling enough to immerse yourself into a role. While there are some neat ideas behind some aspects of the lore, most of that stuff ends up feeling like a sideshow attraction in practice. The game's presentation just doesn't lend itself well to grounding you in that fiction.

#7 Posted by believer258 (12106 posts) -

@project343 said:

While I'm sure it's possible, I just don't think the world is compelling enough to immerse yourself into a role. While there are some neat ideas behind some aspects of the lore, most of that stuff ends up feeling like a sideshow attraction in practice. The game's presentation just doesn't lend itself well to grounding you in that fiction.

I can't say that I see where you're coming from on this one. I stopped playing because I was trying to play ten or so RPG's at once, not because the world was boring. The voice acting and dialogue seem mostly good, there are some interesting story beats, the graphics aren't technically astounding but they are very colorful and pleasant to look at... was there some specific part you didn't like or did you just not care for it?

#8 Posted by project343 (2837 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@project343 said:

While I'm sure it's possible, I just don't think the world is compelling enough to immerse yourself into a role. While there are some neat ideas behind some aspects of the lore, most of that stuff ends up feeling like a sideshow attraction in practice. The game's presentation just doesn't lend itself well to grounding you in that fiction.

I can't say that I see where you're coming from on this one. I stopped playing because I was trying to play ten or so RPG's at once, not because the world was boring. The voice acting and dialogue seem mostly good, there are some interesting story beats, the graphics aren't technically astounding but they are very colorful and pleasant to look at... was there some specific part you didn't like or did you just not care for it?

I think the fact that it's third person really hurts your sense of place and belonging in world (in comparison to TES series, anyway). The deepest connection you have to the world is the ability to sift through the countless lines of meaningless, woodenly-presented dialogue, the ability to smash up boxes, and the ability to loot generic piles of shiny things. It doesn't feel like a world... it feels like a bunch of RPG mechanics with a really plain backdrop.

I also think the 'quantity over quality' approach absolutely shits all over any amount of investment you have with the game's narratives; it's a lot of people spouting pages and pages of lore at you, then tasking you with going through the same copy-paste dungeon or tasking you with killing another number of generic mobs.

#9 Posted by Morningstar (2232 posts) -

No you cant.

#10 Posted by squidraid (136 posts) -

It'll keep you busy a long time, for what it's worth. There's an obscene amount of content in the game. But yeah, it gets repetitive very fast. The distinctive art style and the solid character development kept me entertained for awhile, but I never did put much of a dent in this game.

#11 Posted by mordukai (7184 posts) -

I had such high hopes for this game but after 6 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. I just don't understand how a game with really good combat. great loot, cool leveling system, gear world and lore can be so crushingly boring.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (15112 posts) -
@mordukai

I had such high hopes for this game but after 6 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. I just don't understand how a game with really good combat. great loot, cool leveling system, gear world and lore can be so crushingly boring.

Yeah, its baffling really on paper this game should have been one of the best things last year by a landslide. But it's just....bland.
#13 Posted by mordukai (7184 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@mordukai

I had such high hopes for this game but after 6 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. I just don't understand how a game with really good combat. great loot, cool leveling system, gear world and lore can be so crushingly boring.

Yeah, its baffling really on paper this game should have been one of the best things last year by a landslide. But it's just....bland.

The awful quests were a big part of that. Sad that such a huge effort was made in every other aspect but the one that is most important.

#14 Posted by madman356647 (342 posts) -
@mordukai

@Demoskinos said:

@mordukai

I had such high hopes for this game but after 6 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. I just don't understand how a game with really good combat. great loot, cool leveling system, gear world and lore can be so crushingly boring.

Yeah, its baffling really on paper this game should have been one of the best things last year by a landslide. But it's just....bland.

The awful quests were a big part of that. Sad that such a huge effort was made in every other aspect but the one that is most important.

In my opinion it was the jack-of-all-trades, master if none argument. They had a lot of great ideas, but they tried too hard to do it all.

Good game though, but definately shot for the moon.
#15 Posted by FirePrince (1765 posts) -

@mordukai said:

I had such high hopes for this game but after 6 hours I just couldn't take it anymore. I just don't understand how a game with really good combat. great loot, cool leveling system, gear world and lore can be so crushingly boring.

It's so wrong that you are so right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.