Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

is Reckoning worth my time and money

Brice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brice

I really want this game, i am a huge RPG fan but the lack of creativity that i can use making my character is a little depressing. Sure i will have a helmet on but also what is going on with the DLC i read stuff about it but i am still confused, and maybe it is just me but i feel really worried about having EA's money hungry nose in a RPG. And last would it benefit me to get Reckoning or Skyrim.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

games not out till tuesday. nobody can tell you for sure... just wait for the reviews or just go get Skyrim now... and once your done with Skyrim enough people will have played KOA by then to give you a good idea on how good it is. Unless your just trolling throwing out these petty complaints about character creation and EA hating... those are stupid reasons to not play a game.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Blind_Evil

Get Skyrim first if you don't have it yet.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671

Holy crap.

Ok, you'll spend most of the game staring at the back of your character's head from a distant third-person camera, so limited character customization (honestly, I didn't find it very limited at all) is a minor issue.

As far as I know, buy the game new and you'll get whatever DLC is available.  More importantly, buy games for games, not for their DLC.

Would it benefit you to buy Reckoning or Skyrim?  It would benefit me to know what you're looking for in a game when telling you which game to pick.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Storms

Reckoning is worth your money. 

@Brice said:

the lack of creativity that i can use making my character is a little depressing.

Yeah, the character creation in the demo is pathetic. But it just might be better in the full game and even if it's not, you can still make good-looking characters... even though good-looking isn't as good as "yours". 

also what is going on with the DLC i read stuff about it but i am still confused

If you buy the game new it doesn't matter. If you buy it used, you have to spend a little money to get some bonus content -- if you care about it. 

And last would it benefit me to get Reckoning or Skyrim.

If a huge vast open world you can live in is extremely important to you, get Skyrim. It's a pretty different game from Reckoning. More gritty, realistic and immersive. A game that appeals to mature people and is more suited for hardcore roleplaying.

Reckoning is still an RPG, but it's a bit more... outlandish. And not as open as Skyrim, but still pretty open. And pretty big and more varied in environments. The lore seems great and interesting, the combat is fun. About as interesting in the story department as Skyrim, from what I've seen -- Maybe not quite as good, but we really don't know yet.
    avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By avidwriter

In the demo I had trouble getting past the camera distance and controls. I'm going to wait and see how that works out in the full release.

TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TentPole

@Blind_Evil said:

Unless you want a game with combat that is actually fun.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Storms
    @TentPole said:

@Blind_Evil said:

Unless you want a game with combat that is actually fun.

And can't find Skyrim's combat fun like most people who play it do. And are into RPGs more for the combat, not the roleplaying.
    Etnos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Etnos

Only you can tell, your question is a logic inconsistency.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Still_I_Cry

I loved the demo.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking about holding out for a Steam sale. I can't really tell you if it's worth your money because, it's your money.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

To be honest if you haven't played the demo go play it NOW. I was on the fence about this game but I fell in love with the demo and cannot wait for the full game. I had more fun with the Amalur demo than I did with the full game of Skyrim, no jokes. It's just so much more of an RPG.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.