Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning demo impressions

• 181 results
    Bawlsz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By Bawlsz

I played and completed the demo on the 360, didn't notice any glitches, but I found the demo kinda... bland and generic, the combat is OK, the graphics technicly is not that great, also the art-style seems pretty poor and generic.

For me the game seems to be lacking an identity, the demo didn't really hook me in, and while exploring the place and doing the side quests, I honestly did not enjoy it, it's not bad, but just boring and lacking excitement.

However it's a demo, and I'll wait for the reviews and other peoples view on it.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#102  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

You can get the demo on Steam.

I am not sure yet how I feel about the camera.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Gargantuan

My impression: 
    It didn't work on my PC, downloading 360 version now

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#104  Edited By Seppli

@Gargantuan said:

My impression: It didn't work on my PC, downloading 360 version now

Turn off post effects and it works just fine (at least that fixed it for me). Other than that odd slowdown at the beginning of every enounter, it's been smooth sailing for me.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Seppli

Gave it another shot today, after feeling a bit underwhelmed yesterday. Back on the wagon again. I believe setting the game on hard will do wonders for it. Normal is just way too easy to make dodging and proper blocking meaningful. The character system is awesome. Looking forward to build up my fighter and explore the world.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#106  Edited By bibamatt

Played fifteen minutes or so of this last night. Put it down after that though, because I really want to wait for the full game! Do you get any bonus stuff for this or ME3 for finishing the demo? Or is it just the stuff you get when it first boots up?

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By SlasherMan

The combat system seems nice, but overall, it just felt like an MMO to me. Everything about it just felt cheap, you know? Oddly felt like I was playing DDO, which I can play for free. Nothing about it seemed to grab me, except the first few minutes with the music and cutscene. It just went downhill from there. There was just nothing unique about it, nothing that made it stand out. It all felt pretty generic to me.

As far as technical issues, I had to turn off post processing because otherwise all I'd get is a black screen. The sound quality is sub-par. Game is kind of ugly overall with a lot of low quality textures, though the environments can look pretty good sometimes. The characters tend to forget to move their lips when they're talking. I assume most of these issues would be resolved for the retail version, since they did say the demo was an older build of the game, so I'm not too bothered by most of these issues.

I don't know, this just isn't a $60 game. I'll consider it once it gets to a price I find reasonable.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#108  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I'm a little put off by the fact that every weapon I've found so far, stave excluded, looks like a giant toy instead of an actual weapon. Well, that and the constant lockups during stealth kills on the 360. That was also unfortunate. Still, it's interesting, and I'll give it another shot or two.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By unchained

If I hadn't already pre-ordered the game on Origin, I'd likely not be buying it after playing through the demo. It's okay. Honestly, though, I was disappointed. I was hoping for more Elder Scrolls than Fable.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#110  Edited By Hector

Not for me. Controls were loose and game was buggy. I'll stick to Fable, since this seems to be trying to be that.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bibamatt:

When you first start the game it links itself to your EA account then rewards you with a few items, then when you complete the starting area you get another few items. Complete the whole 45mins of the demo and you get one more item (which may mean you need to play the demo several times to get a full armour set? I plan on playing it again tonight just to find out).

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By Vorbis

Wasn't that interested until I hit the open world, then I just darted off and did whatever. Was great fun, especially once I found the Chakrams. Will pick it up for sure.

Didn't encounter any of the issues people are complaining about other than the black screen which was fixed after 30seconds on google.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#113  Edited By jorbear

It got tons better as soon as I hit the open-world part, but it didn't hook me the way I hoped.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#114  Edited By veektarius

My download hasn't finished yet, but I'm surprised they released an apparently unpolished demo as a promotional tie in with their biggest release of the year. It seems like a pretty large caliber shot in the foot.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By phrosnite

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

I'll pretend I didn't see that.

Anyways devs said you'll be able to remap everything in the retail version. Apparently that didn't make it into the demo. rofl

Why? The game was obviously designed with a gamepad in mind.

Darksiders makes your agruement invalid. PC is king. Everything works better on PC.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Dogma

I liked the demo. I played it twice on 360 and had no crashes or horrible bugs. Bethesdas RPG:s have never hooked me because it's style don't jive with me. I have trouble understanding people that calls this game generic in it's style while Skyrim looks to be inspired straight up by Lord of the Rings. I actually prefer the stylish WoW design. It was really beutiful in some places, they only real problem I had with the graphics/design was my own character. Not because she was ugly or anything but because the emoted bad and was silent. I can handle a silent hero but they have to emote a bit more then. Different strokes.

I also don't like combat in Elderscrolls games and therefore I hoped this one would be interesting and it was. I will say that the camera leave some to be desired sometimes but overall I liked the combat. My weapon of choice was first the dagger and then the awesome hammer. It also started out slow but when I got the message that I had 45 minutes of exploring I almost got overwhelmed. That was a very genereous demo. I did some sidequests BUT I did not enjoy myself fully because I felt rushed because of the timer even if I managed to A LOT more then I had expected. It's only in my mind I guess. Lastly I want to point out that the compare/equip now option was a nice one to have. If you used that wisely then you didn't have to go into the menus all the time.

I'm optimistic by this game. Seems like a fantasy RPG that I finally can get to grips with.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Grissefar

Watered down RPG + Watered down action = Not for me, but I might borrow it from the libeary some day to play for an afternoon. My bet is that it will rank high on Jeffs top 10 game of the year list, and being EA published, you know the sequel is going to be hastily produced in 14 months.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#118  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

Anyways devs said you'll be able to remap everything in the retail version. Apparently that didn't make it into the demo. rofl

Darksiders makes your agruement invalid. PC is king. Everything works better on PC.

No one said about not playing it on PC.
    You can play it on PC with a gamepad. Just like Darksiders.
    The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By The_Ruiner

this game seems cool enough...but after Skyrim I'm pretty sick of elves and shit..... that's the one thing I miss about good JRPG's..there used to be some real originality in those worlds....

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Ares42

Played the demo on 360. Just can't shake the feeling that the game was made like 5-6 years ago.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By phrosnite

@Tennmuerti said:

@phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

No one said about not playing it on PC. You can play it on PC with a gamepad. Just like Darksiders.

rofl. Darksiders play PERFECTLY with KB&M!!! Shove your gamepads where the sun doesn't shine!

Hennet_sim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Hennet_sim

After playing the demo it seemed like a fun game it felt a lot like fable from the demo I liked the daggers weapons very fast. Not sure if the game is worth 60 bucks after playing the demo. Now if it was 40 then I would be sold on it.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Catarrhal

If not for the Ken Rolston connection, no one would ever think to compare this to the Elder Scrolls series. Fable is the true frame of reference here; unfortunately, this game seems to have virtually all of Fable's problems and none of its charm.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#124  Edited By JasonR86

@phrosnite said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

No one said about not playing it on PC. You can play it on PC with a gamepad. Just like Darksiders.

rofl. Darksiders play PERFECTLY with KB&M!!! Shove your gamepads where the sun doesn't shine!

...Forks, Washington?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#125  Edited By spazmaster666

@phrosnite said:

It doesn't matter if it works "perfectly" or not. Something that works perfectly can still be inferior. The fact is certain games just work better with a gamepad. Go try and playing DMC4 on the PC with the keyboard. It also works more or less perfectly but is still far inferior as a control scheme compared to a gamepad.

MrBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By MrBelmont

I had no issues on the 360 with glitches. I had one spot where the camera got stuck halfway in the ground but it cleared up as soon as I left combat. I love the bright visuals and im excited to see some later game weapons and armor as Todd McFarlane is a mastermind with making cool looking stuff. I did think the controls were a tad loose, but (since you mention Darksiders), its controls felt loose at first too and then got a lot better the more you played. As for bugs and glitches, the gaming community gave Skyrim Game of the Year, and thats by far the glitchiest game ive ever played. Dont get me wrong, I love Skyrim and have way too many hours in it, and I think it deserved Game of the Year (given the competition) but it really says something about good game content and fun combat outweighing some annoying glitches. Either way, im pretty excited to see the full release of KoA.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By fini_fly

I just finished the demo on the PS3 and although I had a few glitches where the ground wasn't rendered in patches (happened twice), I experience no framerate issues. The conversations are a bit awkward in that the switch from a list to a radial list isn't uniform, but otherwise I thought the voice acting was phenomenally better than that of Skyrim.

The combat was fun, responsive and very intuitive. I was wracking up some pretty decent combos, with my daggers, special moves and magic. The game world, although may not have the polish or visuals as some games, was impressive.

The main thing I noticed though is ceiling height, as compared to Skryim. In Skyrim, dungeons for the most part felt claustrophobic, with narrow passages and low ceilings. Here, the high ceilings really give a fantasy feel and makes everything seem that much more epic.

I could go on and on, but this demo has me sold. It's too bad that others are having game crippling glitches, because after playing the demo, because I really think this game is going to be hit.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@JasonR86 said:

@phrosnite said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

...Forks, Washington?

Yo, are you in Washington? This snow be crazy, son.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Fenris82

I have to say that I'm feeling disappointed after playing the demo on 360.

I was looking forward to Reckoning a lot but it feels somewhat half baked to me and, like says it feels like a game that is a few years old.

I like the idea of the combat but not the way you can't break out of animations, which is particularly bad due to the very close camera view.

There's a bit of "MMO made into single player game" about the whole experience where everything somehow feels slightly disconnected from you. It's hard to explain but once I was out of the first dungeon and was free roaming I felt that I was playing WoW with no other players.

I also made a longer post on my blog that describes my issues with the demo in greater detail: http://www.lightspeed-gaming.com/2012/01/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-demo.html

I'm still interested in the game but it's definitely dropped off my "games that I'm super excited for" list

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @phrosnite said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

I know it does. I played it with both K+M and with a gamepad.
    If you don't like gamepads that's your problem. Plenty of PC gamers use them when and where they find them apropriate. Just like you would use a joystick, or a steering wheel.
    But my mistake for arguing with an immature child.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By JasonR86

@PeasantAbuse said:

@JasonR86 said:

@phrosnite said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

...Forks, Washington?

I've got 10 inches. It's great, I'm able to not do a damn thing and not feel guilty about it.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@JasonR86 said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@JasonR86 said:

@phrosnite said:

@Tennmuerti said:

@phrosnite said:

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

...Forks, Washington?

I've got 10 inches. It's great, I'm able to not do a damn thing and not feel guilty about it.

Yeah, I don't know exactly how many inches we have here in Olympia, but I haven't seen a single car try to leave my neighborhood today.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By amir90

Was a bit underwhelming to be honest.

The camera seemed to be too close to my dude, auto target didn't work half the time (sometimes I would shoot stuff in the wrong direction)

Shield appearing from no where, why?

Graphics are ok, I liked the style though, the troll fight was awesome.

I got random stop stutter, then normal fps.

Didn't bother with dialog or cinematic, because I want to do it on the full game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Tennmuerti

To topic at hand.

The camera is way too close.
    Making camera control and movement with k+m very unwieldy.
    And even with a gamepad when you are in combat with several enemies the camera is still a problem as your view is too limited.

As for the game itself it seems like an absolutely generic RPG with a good combat mechanic.
    Another problem to me is with the combat: the constant split second pauses at the end of strikes, especially for heavier weapons.
    It's kind of off putting for the flow of combat imo.

But I'm a sucker for decent RPGs so will pick it up and am likely to enjoy it just the same.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#135  Edited By spazmaster666

@Tennmuerti said:

To topic at hand. The camera is way too close. Making camera control and movement with k+m very unwieldy. And even with a gamepad when you are in combat with several enemies the camera is still a problem as your view is too limited. As for the game itself it seems like an absolutely generic RPG with a good combat mechanic. Another problem to me is with the combat: the constant split second pauses at the end of strikes, especially for heavier weapons. It's kind of off putting for the flow of combat imo. But I'm a sucker for decent RPGs so will pick it up and am likely to enjoy it just the same.

My problem with the camera was that when sprinting, it does a poor job of following my character and given the placement of the sprint button, it's awkward to use the right stick to control the camera while sprinting.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By phrosnite

@spazmaster666 said:

@phrosnite said:

It doesn't matter if it works "perfectly" or not. Something that works perfectly can still be inferior. The fact is certain games just work better with a gamepad. Go try and playing DMC4 on the PC with the keyboard. It also works more or less perfectly but is still far inferior as a control scheme compared to a gamepad.

If you have watched gs's darskiders review(console) that ass Tom McShea said that the controls are complicated and he couldn't do some thing properly. I was like... what? u mad?

Also I've played DMC4 on the PC with a keyboard and I admit that it's easier with a gamepad. This is not the case in Darksiders. Also DMC4 fucking sucks. Worst game I've ever played.

Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Dogma

@Fenris82 said:

I like the idea of the combat but not the way you can't break out of animations, which is particularly bad due to the very close camera view.

Weren't there a video/trailer that talked about this? You can break your attack animation during the first three fases but after that it will get gradually harder to break it. It was some kind of risk and reward thing they talked about. The trailer was here on Giantbomb.

Fenris82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By Fenris82

@Dogma: After going back and playing the demo again I believe you're right. That does make it a bit more reasonable

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Seppli

@Catarrhal said:

If not for the Ken Rolston connection, no one would ever think to compare this to the Elder Scrolls series. Fable is the true frame of reference here; unfortunately, this game seems to have virtually all of Fable's problems and none of its charm.

Outside of the core world design and combat mechanics, it's pretty much a feature checklist covering every feature found in Elder Scrolls games.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By FritzDude

This game is just right up my alley in pretty much everything. I really hope when the game launches that it wont be a game-pooper with frequently game crashes, because I can easily ignore bugs and annoyences, but when the game crashes and I need to restart the whole system I get easily disappointed and will automatically draw me away from its world.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Tennmuerti

Already found 2 very bad bugs:

If you talk to the healer in the first inn while positioned not in front of her but to the side your character will be forever stuck behind her with no way to exit behind the table except by killing her.
    Got noticed by the guards while escaping jail, but did not kill them. Every guard and character in town went hostile with no way to pay a fine or make them passive again. Completely breaking all the quests in town since now everyone just tries to kill me.

Needless to say without a save/load feature in the demo, the 2 above were major kicks in the balls.

Stepside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Stepside

Just played a bit of the PS3 Demo. I've been super stoked for this game for months now...

Pros:

• Combat seems fluid and dynamic. Definitely God of War-like (always a plus).
    • Playing Rogue/Thief would be fun using the stealth mechanic
    • Interesting new IP and story.
    • I like the archery mechanic, auto lock-on had a nice arcady feel.
    • Good voice acting.

Cons:

• Controls are really loose and too floaty
    • Camera is too close at default. Also, the camera is much too floaty.
    • Audio bugs everywhere...missed half the conversations. Messed with my 7.1 sound pretty bad - I had to adjust my center speaker on a number of occasions.
    • Pretty generic looking environments/character models, especially the initial dungeon. Looks like a 2-3 year old game.
    • Menus are really janky, lots of back and forth between sub-menus, although I do like the compare mechanic.
    • Serious FPS drops, audio lag and character animation lag.
    • Crashed my PS3 after 20 minutes. Twice. <---The killer

I'm downloading the demo now on Steam to see how it compares.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By JasonR86

I'm really not getting the comparisons of the combat in this game to God of War. At all.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By babblinmule

I really enjoyed the combat side of it (helped by the fact that I'm a big fable fan), but the story, environments and dialogue were just..... not terrific. Also incredibly glitchy and abit unpolished in spots (ran around with my staff protruding out of the top of my head for most of it).

iBePeRFeCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By iBePeRFeCT

I thought the demo was okay. I haven't been keeping up with the game much, but I did find the combat quite fun. I spent the majority of my time in the demo just hunting out more people to fight. I don't know how the story and everything else will hold up, but I definitely see myself picking this game up during a Steam sale later this year for the combat if nothing else.

razeeverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By razeeverything

@Tennmuerti: I just ran out of jail also. I murdered everyone in town and upon exiting the black smith shop they finally told me i was going to jail but my bribe was successful and everything went back to normal. Except the everyone being murdered part that is.

LAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#147  Edited By LAR

The demo turned me off from the game a bit. I was constantly fighting with the camera and it didn't seem like much more than your generic, came out at console launch, rpg. Hopefully it gets better as the game goes on, but will definitely take a wait and see approach to it.

The marketing push also makes me a bit hesitant.

Looking forward to GB's coverage.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By RVonE

Apart from the bugs, assuming they'll have fixed most of that stuff for the final product, the demo was kind of a mixed bag for me. I think I am on board with the visuals and the combat was alright (although somewhat simplistic). I also think their lore is interesting and is probably the game's strongest aspect. That said, it was kind of overwhelming with all the names being thrown around.

Voice acting was all over the place; some of it was good, a lot of it wasn't. I also wasn't impressed by the dialogue--a lot of the writing seems stilted and forced. Combined with often subpar delivery of the lines makes this my biggest gripe with the game fo far. That and a lot of the NPCs I encountered weren't very likable, I think. I mean, the dwarf in the beginning was way too forceful and his lines were kinda grating. And the whole "we brought you back to life by tampering with souls and bodies" really rubs me the wrong way. It doesn't help that everyone I've encountered so far thought very highly of the guy that was in charge of the well of souls.

Oh and a quick question: do weapons break in this game? I think that is what one of the numbers on the item stat screen indicates. If that's the case, that might be the worst thing about this game.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Tennmuerti

Played some more and so far the camera is my biggest issue in this game regardless of control method. Gives me a headache.
    It's too close, does not reset well when not being controlled and moving. Buggy in dialogues.
    I don't remember when was the last time a games camera detracted from the experience so significantly.

The game world feel less a lot like an mmo. But haven't seen enough of it. Nor is it a necessarily a negative thing.
    But it feels "gamey" compared to say openess of Skyrim or insane density and detail of Witcher 2.

Blocking with shield is super unresponsive, but this might be a 2h issue, not sure yet.

@RazeEverything said:

@Tennmuerti: I just ran out of jail also. I murdered everyone in town and upon exiting the black smith shop they finally told me i was going to jail but my bribe was successful and everything went back to normal. Except the everyone being murdered part that is.

I tried going in and out of houses to try and reset it too, but sadly everyone remained hostile.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By RVonE

@Tennmuerti: I agree with the camera being too close. That and the camera feels "swimmy", for lack of a better way to put it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.