Lockpicking

#1 Posted by Sinea (6 posts) -

Hiya,

I'm new to the game and digging it so far. One thing that stumps me is lock picking. I understand in bottom left it lists your inventory of lock picks, then to the right it lists what looks like a lock pick, that has a red handle. I can't find any of these. Where can you pick those up?

#2 Edited by FritzDude (2263 posts) -

It's a prismere. A - what the game calls it - "one-shot lockpick." It will automatically grant success to your lockpicking. It's rare, but you'll find it in various shops & traders and chests. I've played the game for 40 hours and found about 15 of them.

#3 Posted by Sinea (6 posts) -

@FritzDude: Do you have to have the prismere to lock pick?

#4 Edited by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

@Sinea said:

@FritzDude: Do you have to have the prismere to lock pick?

No, you can use regular lockpicks. Lockpicking is pretty easy when you know what to do. Just need to strafe the lockpick left to right and slide the lock to the right; if it shakes, that signifies it's going to break, then you either push the lockpick a little further in the direction the lockpick is heading towards or take it the other way. Often times you can open locks just by keeping the lockpick in dead centre...

But be sure to always buy the entire stock when they're being sold too, since there's a lot of room for error if you're lockpicking skill is low.

#5 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

I don't know if it's just me, but does the lock slow down just before it's going to break. I'm either noticing this, or possibly have a seizure every time I pick a lock.

#6 Posted by benspyda (2034 posts) -

@fini_fly said:

I don't know if it's just me, but does the lock slow down just before it's going to break. I'm either noticing this, or possibly have a seizure every time I pick a lock.

It does slow down. Overall I found the lockpicking so easy in this there is no point even upgrading lockpicking.

#7 Posted by Sinea (6 posts) -

Okay.. I have GOT to be missing something and it's probably slapping me in the face... I try to lock pick and I can strafe the pick left and right.. but nothing happens. The top slider doesn't move.. ugh, what am I doing wrong??

#8 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

The right stick moves the pick and the left stick moves the slider...

#9 Posted by Sinea (6 posts) -

so, when you open lock picking and it shows you what you have in inventory (I see on the left what i am guessing is basic lockpicks, and then the right is a red handled pick) i need both?

#10 Posted by Baldvinb (25 posts) -

@Sinea said:

so, when you open lock picking and it shows you what you have in inventory (I see on the left what i am guessing is basic lockpicks, and then the right is a red handled pick) i need both?

No. You don´t need both. On the left you have your basic lockpicks, if it breaks you have used one. On the right you have your prismere lockpicks, they just open the chest. Kinda like a "masterkey" works on doors.

#11 Posted by fini_fly (767 posts) -

@benspyda said:

@fini_fly said:

It does slow down. Overall I found the lockpicking so easy in this there is no point even upgrading lockpicking.

Yeah, I'm not touching it either, with the exception through paying for training since I have way too much money.

#12 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

move the right stick to move the pick

move the left stick to the right to move the top slider

Lockpicking is so easy in this game, at most i lose 2 picks on a lock. Normally 0 but if it's very hard or whatever, 2 picks max.

#13 Posted by Sinea (6 posts) -

I give up... I'll take a SS. I only have one "stick" available to move, and that's the one that strafes left and right at the bottom... no second stick that I can move.

#14 Posted by Tennmuerti (8103 posts) -

@Sinea said:

I give up... I'll take a SS. I only have one "stick" available to move, and that's the one that strafes left and right at the bottom... no second stick that I can move.

@Canteu said:

move the right stick to move the pick

move the left stick to the right to move the top slider

Lockpicking is so easy in this game, at most i lose 2 picks on a lock. Normally 0 but if it's very hard or whatever, 2 picks max.

Talking about the analog sticks on the controller.

#15 Posted by Baldvinb (25 posts) -

This has to be a joke and we have all been fooled :)

#16 Posted by Sinea (6 posts) -

Yeah.. i'm blonde and let the flaming begin... I'm also playing on pc so don't have the duality of the xbox controller.

#17 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -
#18 Posted by Grillbar (1834 posts) -

@Sinea said:

Hiya,

I'm new to the game and digging it so far. One thing that stumps me is lock picking. I understand in bottom left it lists your inventory of lock picks, then to the right it lists what looks like a lock pick, that has a red handle. I can't find any of these. Where can you pick those up?

you can buy em or get then later on either by pick up or quest reward they are a one use lockpick that opens any lock

#19 Posted by Enigma777 (6073 posts) -

Lockpicking is ridiculously easy in this game. I have 0 points in the lockpicking skill and 50% of the time I don't even move the pick and just slide the slider and it still opens up on the first try. 36 hours in and I have like 72 regular lockpicks and 30-something prismere ones.

#20 Posted by project343 (2825 posts) -
#21 Posted by YoThatLimp (1908 posts) -

@benspyda said:

@fini_fly said:

I definitely finished the game, picked every lock I found and had 0 points in lockpicking hah.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.