Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

My first pre-order

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By fini_fly

I like to think of myself as generally sensible and for the most part patient. The majority of games I buy are usually a couple of months down the road from the release date when the price has come down. I usually have a backlog of games to play so this is never really an issue.

However this is the first time in my long and illustrious gaming life where I do not have a backlog of games, going back to the release of Skyrim. I did not pre-order Skyrim, but I did buy it on the launch date and put a good 30 hours into it. It was enjoyable, but my interest waned as I one-hit killed everything and took out two Strongholds without having to heal myself. So right now it's on ebay for a second time thanks to a non-payment from the original winner.

Back to the point though, right now I am less compelled to play a lot of the games that have been released within the last year to the point where I just haven't bought anything. As such, there is no backlog of games. My friends keep trying to get me to play MW3, which I have no interest in. I tried to get into FFXIII and couldn't do it. I will eventually get Dark Souls, but when it comes down in price. All of this has lead to me working through my modest backlog, revisiting some classics (Chrono Trigger), and purging games that I will never tough again.

I am excited for KoA:R enough so that I have pre-ordered it, but have done so at bestbuy.ca, so I will have to wait a couple of days after the release before it comes in. I am patient enough to wait a couple of days, at least I keep telling myself this to justify the $10 in RZ points. I hoping that KoA:R can keep me interested longer than Skyrim did so that the upcoming 2012 releases will slowly drop in price.

It is my goal this year to keep my backlog at the store and not on my shelf, and it starts with my pre-order of KoA:R. Then as the price drops for Dark Souls, Bioshock Infinite, South Park, Tomb Raider, an maybe others, I can pick them up one at a time.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By fini_fly

I like to think of myself as generally sensible and for the most part patient. The majority of games I buy are usually a couple of months down the road from the release date when the price has come down. I usually have a backlog of games to play so this is never really an issue.

However this is the first time in my long and illustrious gaming life where I do not have a backlog of games, going back to the release of Skyrim. I did not pre-order Skyrim, but I did buy it on the launch date and put a good 30 hours into it. It was enjoyable, but my interest waned as I one-hit killed everything and took out two Strongholds without having to heal myself. So right now it's on ebay for a second time thanks to a non-payment from the original winner.

Back to the point though, right now I am less compelled to play a lot of the games that have been released within the last year to the point where I just haven't bought anything. As such, there is no backlog of games. My friends keep trying to get me to play MW3, which I have no interest in. I tried to get into FFXIII and couldn't do it. I will eventually get Dark Souls, but when it comes down in price. All of this has lead to me working through my modest backlog, revisiting some classics (Chrono Trigger), and purging games that I will never tough again.

I am excited for KoA:R enough so that I have pre-ordered it, but have done so at bestbuy.ca, so I will have to wait a couple of days after the release before it comes in. I am patient enough to wait a couple of days, at least I keep telling myself this to justify the $10 in RZ points. I hoping that KoA:R can keep me interested longer than Skyrim did so that the upcoming 2012 releases will slowly drop in price.

It is my goal this year to keep my backlog at the store and not on my shelf, and it starts with my pre-order of KoA:R. Then as the price drops for Dark Souls, Bioshock Infinite, South Park, Tomb Raider, an maybe others, I can pick them up one at a time.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I'm more interested in how you were able to one-hit kill enemies only thirty hours into Skyrim.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By fini_fly

@MooseyMcMan said:

I'm more interested in how you were able to one-hit kill enemies only thirty hours into Skyrim.

I was up to 100 in one-handed and had leveled up almost all of the perks. Plus I had lots of equipment that fortified my one-handed weapon.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By hwy_61

Don't know how much Best Buy is selling it for, but Newegg has it for $44.99. Just thought you should know.

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By fini_fly

@hwy_61: It's not available on the Canadian site.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Storms

I'm beginning to notice a trend that people who hate on Skyrim are excited for Amalur. And that makes my excitement for Amalur go way down. 

I just have to keep telling myself "Ken Rolston made it, it's gonna be an RPG, Ken Rolston made it, it's gonna be an RPG".

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By fini_fly

@Storms: I don't think I ended up hating Skyrim, as I did get a solid 30€€+ hours out of it. My interest just waned earlier than I thought it would. For myself I am hopeful that KoA:R will not do the same.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By EthanielRain

This is also the first time I've pre-ordered a game. Although I think I might cancel it so I can get it at midnight instead :O)

I think that just comes down to human nature; people are more likely to go out of their way to vocalize a complaint than they are to give praise to something. The WoW boards are a good example. Looking at them, you'd think it was the worst game ever...but really it's just 1% of the userbase complaining, while the other 99% are enjoying the game & don't really have a reason to go to the forum to say so. Most people aren't gonna say "I like Skyrim & I'm really excited for Amalur!" compared to "Skyrim sucks, Amalur is better!" In short: hate the player, not the game :D

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

I went ahead and pre-ordered a digital copy on Amazon for $51. They are allowing pre-loading starting about 20 minutes ago, so at least I'll have it downloaded and ready to go when it's unlocked.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.