Replay value?

#1 Posted by louis0nfire (205 posts) -

Games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallout, Dark Souls, Dragon Age have replay value in either completely re-rolling or continuing on in the world. Does this game provide that urge to keep playing? I know that's subjective, and that the content is definitely there; but is there value in it?

#2 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

I think it has just as much replay value as most of those others. I played through the entire game (every single quest in the game) on my playthrough I just finished, and I played as 100% warrior. Now I am restarting just to play as a mage because the combat will be completely different. So as it might not have as much replay value for someone like me that did every quest my first run(every quest that wasn't and evil version of a primary quest line.) it still has enough to at least get two plays out of most people I would think.

#3 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

There is enough to warrant a second playthrough if you want to see the other possible outcomes of your first games choices, class wise though you can completely respec everything at near enough any time with no penalty.

#4 Posted by Tennmuerti (8093 posts) -

In terms of content? NO. Your game choices don't mean shit past a few minutes and there are only a few of them at the end of faction questlines, giving different twists of fate.
In terms of class/character stuff? Depends , you can respec in the game anyway.
For me there is a replay value in terms of trying to make the game more difficult by introducing artificial self imposed restrictions.

#5 Posted by Lazyaza (2180 posts) -

I just hit 60 hours with Reckoning, not much in the way of quests left to do and I'm running out of achievements to obtain as well. Overall I think the game has tremendous value but I wouldn't say replaying as a different class is really worth it, especially given how easy it is to respec.

Reckoning isn't a game you will be playing for story either, by about midway I found myself skipping dialogue entirely and focusing solely on leveling and looting which is fine since the gameplay remains incredibly fun and is easily the best gameplay of any rpg ever imo.

#6 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5447 posts) -

@Louis0nFire said:

Games like Skyrim, Mass Effect, Fallout, Dark Souls, Dragon Age have replay value in either completely re-rolling or continuing on in the world. Does this game provide that urge to keep playing? I know that's subjective, and that the content is definitely there; but is there value in it?

Only one of these games has replay value really, that being Dark Souls of course. If you're talking about really terrible replay value where the game changes ever so slightly then sure this game has replay value, but ingame you can respec all you want and just play a completely different style halfway through. The best thing about this game is the loot is almost completely random, in that respect it does have a great deal of replay value, though ultimately you're still doing almost the same thing. It's a much longer version of Diablo 2 in that respect.

The only game with actual replay value that doesn't have higher difficulty on multiple playthroughs is The Witcher 2, vastly different storyline if you go at it a second time, completely new areas and NPCS to interact with, as opposed to the garbage that most Bioware games will grant you. Bethesda gets a pass since the games are so damn big to begin with.

#7 Posted by fox01313 (5072 posts) -

As it's a bit more linear with less to do, there's not a lot to go back to replaying this unless you're after achievements or like me never tried out playing much of one of the classes (missed the persuasion achievement & never really tried the pure mage class much), as you can respec just about whenever it means you have less likely motives to play the game again as it doesn't seem to change much between races. If you missed some quests after finishing the main story, you can go back to do whatever you want afterwards as the game doesn't shut off after you're done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.