This character creator is terrible....

#1 Posted by The_Ruiner (1001 posts) -

Seriously it's so limited in options and combinations. You are limited to the one way too buff for a wizard or rogue body type..how does anyone release a game with an editor this limited after Saints Row and Skyrim?

#2 Posted by adoggz (2038 posts) -

by not caring that every game doent have crazy deep customization.

#3 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

Your Terrible!!! But on topic, Not every game needs customization up the wazu.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7047 posts) -

The demo in general really disappointed me. The character creator was fine but the game overall was just super generic fantasy. If other people enjoy the game, more power to them but I didn't enjoy anything beyond the stealth stuff.

#5 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

I thought the character creator was the best part of it. That's not saying much, though.

#6 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Dagbiker said:

Well if you include it, they should make it good at least.
#7 Posted by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@Dagbiker said:

Well if you include it, they should make it good at least.

I haven't played the game, but I agree with your statement.

#8 Posted by Irvandus (2808 posts) -

I thought it was just alright, like everything else in the game.

#9 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

It could be better, but it was certainly serviceable.

#10 Posted by believer258 (11624 posts) -

It worked.

Besides, the ability to create decently attractive characters without having to spend obscene amounts of time with every slider was handy. I know Oblivion was a long time ago, but the characters that came out of that were some ugly motherfuckers.

#11 Posted by louiedog (2333 posts) -

I loved Saints Row's character creator. Seeing the ridiculousness that you create in the cut scenes and while running around really gave me a good payoff after spending so much time with the options.

In Bethesda games I don't care what my character looks like. I never see them because of armor. From my time with the demo of Kingdoms of Amalur I only remember really seeing much of my character at the beginning before I started getting covered up. It doesn't bother me at all.

#12 Posted by Demoskinos (14559 posts) -

Eh...not bothering me so much. You should in theory be rocking awesome crazy armor and not have to look at your fugly dude without armor.

#13 Posted by Mystyr_E (1189 posts) -

I found it pretty easy to make attractive females and decent looking guys but some of those preset faces are god awfully ugly. Like did no one on the design team go "um, guys, why would anyone wanna be THIS face?"

#14 Posted by TheHT (10871 posts) -

Yup, the character creator's nothing special. But I imagine once you find some sweet armor your face won't matter that much. Something about the demo put me off. The close camera angle, unresponsive menus, I dunno what exactly it was, but I do know that the one redeeming quality was that the combat was really fun. Trying to play as a greatsword wielding light/heavy armor hybrid magic user that only dodges was significantly different than playing as a dagger beast.

The latter was super fast and mashy, but the former required precise timing and constant awareness of what's going on all around you. Overall the demo didn't really sway me towards day one purchasing or avoiding the game at all costs. Still gotta wait to see/read more when the game comes out.

#15 Edited by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

I thought it was okay, but I always make really generic looking dudes so pretty much any character creator is fine by me.

#16 Posted by Zippedbinders (983 posts) -

Its passable, there's a decent variety of options considering the game is less about what you look like, and more about how you play. Had a ton of fun with the rest of the demo though.

#17 Posted by The_Ruiner (1001 posts) -

@adoggz: ....it's an RPG dude...

#18 Posted by Cincaid (2953 posts) -

Considering the demo was a part of a several months old build, maybe they'll spice it up in the final product? I'm not too bothered personally, but I can understand why some RPG players wanted a more fleshed-out character creator. Sad to see the amount of complaining on this game since I personally really enjoyed it and can't wait for the release date, I just hope it won't badly flop.

#19 Posted by ahgunsillyo (443 posts) -

Whoever made the character creator probably figured it was easier both for them to construct and for players to create reasonably attractive people by limiting the choices available. I'm all for attribute sliders because I often try to make characters that look at least somewhat like me, but I know that I spend way too much time tweaking the hell out of those sliders to fix the most minute detail, which, considering that the face in the character creator screen is NEVER exactly the same as in-game (because of lighting or whatever), ends up being for naught anyway because I end up being less-than-satisfied with the face and end up restarting the game to construct a hopefully "better" face. So, in that sense, while it's slightly disappointing to not have those options in a game of this type, I'll likely be fine with it in the long-run.

Plus, more sliders doesn't necessarily result in a better character creator. Seriously, have you tried making an attractive character in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? More difficult than the actual game.

#20 Posted by Floppypants (798 posts) -

I've been able to make a few different characters I thought looked alright.
"Alright" actually sums up the entire demo pretty well.

#21 Posted by kiwi_whisker (125 posts) -

If it only had a "sex appeal" slider...

#22 Edited by Mesoian (1572 posts) -

I actually found it to be a bit more robust than Skyrim's. I was just annoyed that every set of hair in that game looks like helmeted plastic.

@kiwi_whisker said:

With the way the default female character clothes are in that slider, I am genuinely surprised they didn't. Ass hanging out on all of them.

#23 Edited by mordukai (7133 posts) -

@Mesoian said:

I actually found it to be a bit more robust than Skyrim's. I was just annoyed that every set of hair in that game looks like helmeted plastic.

@kiwi_whisker said:

With the way the default female character clothes are in that slider, I am genuinely surprised they didn't. Ass hanging out on all of them.

Why are you so sure he was talking about females? ;)

#24 Posted by Binbay55 (134 posts) -

@ahgunsillyo said:

Plus, more sliders doesn't necessarily result in a better character creator. Seriously, have you tried making an attractive character in Demon's Souls or Dark Souls? More difficult than the actual game.

This is the most true thing ever! I spent an hour just trying to make my character not look like a mannequin before giving up.

I thought this game had a great character creator, it wan't so detailed that I had to spend a lot of time trying to make a serviceable character. Actually I thought the end product turned up really well!

#25 Posted by kiwi_whisker (125 posts) -

@Binbay55: Agreed. I never bother tweaking cheek bone sliders in games like Skyrim anyway, you spend the most time looking at their back/legs/hair/ass. Perhaps games should just have a bunch of 'back' and 'ass' sliders now that I come to think of it! I need 50 degrees of control on that behind!

#26 Edited by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

It's fine to me. I could make every fantasy race look black, which is good enough for me and better than other fantasy WRPGS.

#27 Posted by yoshisaur (2634 posts) -

@adoggz said:

by not caring that every game doent have crazy deep customization.

#28 Posted by MrKlorox (11203 posts) -

Yeah it is pretty bad. This whole game reeks of "my first RPG".

#29 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

I never understood some gamers' fascination with character customization. Does it really affect the gameplay in any way ? It really seems like a very secondary "flavor" element in gaming like game story, music, graphics, voice acting, mini-games, game length and so on.

Why spend so much time customizing your character when you spend most of the game either in first person view or over the shoulder weaing a ton of armor and NEVER SEEING what your character actually looks like. The only thing that you would see is male/female and body type. Even for that only the aesthetically pleasing types are even needed.

#30 Edited by Tennmuerti (7997 posts) -

@Neeshka said:

I never understood some gamers' fascination with character customization. Does it really affect the gameplay in any way ? It really seems like a very secondary "flavor" element in gaming like game story, music, graphics, voice acting, mini-games, game length and so on.

Why spend so much time customizing your character when you spend most of the game either in first person view or over the shoulder weaing a ton of armor and NEVER SEEING what your character actually looks like. The only thing that you would see is male/female and body type. Even for that only the aesthetically pleasing types are even needed.

It kind of becomes more important in games that focus on your character a lot, either in cutscenes or in dialogue, like say Mass Effect or Saints Row 3 (first things that jumped to mind)

Heres the kicker tho. You spend a whole shitloads of time in Amalur when the camera is staring directly at your unmoving unspeaking characters face during conversation...

#31 Posted by QKT (249 posts) -

role playing games should have customisation...

#32 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Neeshka said:

I've never understood people that don't like character customization.
#33 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

If the game spends a huge amount of time focusing on your character's face; SURE, customization is nice. Like mass effect or dragon age yea. But what about games where you barely see your character's face ? (skyrim). Also a lot of RPGs have characters wear a ton of armor and a helmet that obscures any kind of customization; and if so, why is customization so important ?

#34 Edited by handlas (2658 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@Neeshka said:

I've never understood people that don't like character customization.

or, if you have customization...make it good. Otherwise, why bother?

I didn't fool with it for this demo; because why? I ended up not liking the demo anyway so I'm glad I didn't waste my time. I reckon it's as bad as Mass Effect's then? That character customization is also terrible.

I liked Saint's Row's. Too bad I didn't like the actual game.

#35 Posted by Tennmuerti (7997 posts) -

@Neeshka said:

If the game spends a huge amount of time focusing on your character's face; SURE, customization is nice. Like mass effect or dragon age yea. But what about games where you barely see your character's face ? (skyrim). Also a lot of RPGs have characters wear a ton of armor and a helmet that obscures any kind of customization; and if so, why is customization so important ?

Because under that you still know what your guy/chick looks like, regardless of how much time you spend looking at them. Which is important to some people.

PS: personally I play Elder Scrolls game in third person a lot, so I actually saw my dudes face a lot in Skyrim. (open helmet and , constantly panning camera in dialogues for lack of shit to do, or just panning while traveling)

#36 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@handlas: Yeah mass effect is the worst and I hate people that make purposefully ugly characters.

@Tennmuerti
 I play 80% of the time in skyrim in 3rd person.
#37 Posted by Diablos1125 (179 posts) -

It's fine for what it is. They weren't out there touting like it was going to be the best customization either. From what I've seen, your character is going to be covered in helmets and hoods etc. so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm more interested in the world and the combat which look pretty good. I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

#38 Posted by Neeshka (118 posts) -

don't helmets in skyrim pretty much completely obscure the PC face ?

#39 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Diablos1125 said:

It's fine for what it is. They weren't out there touting like it was going to be the best customization either. From what I've seen, your character is going to be covered in helmets and hoods etc. so it doesn't really matter to me. I'm more interested in the world and the combat which look pretty good. I'm happy with what I've seen so far.

The first option in options is "hide helmet"
#40 Posted by Hunkulese (2640 posts) -

@The_Ruiner said:

Seriously it's so limited in options and combinations. You are limited to the one way too buff for a wizard or rogue body type..how does anyone release a game with an editor this limited after Saints Row and Skyrim?

How do you think game design works? Saints Row and Skyrim have been out for two months.

#41 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Neeshka said:

if you wore a helmet would you care what you look like?
#42 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

@kingzetta said:

@Neeshka said:

Also no there are helmets that still show a majority of the face, like the Dragonscale helm.

#43 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@ShiftyMagician said:

@kingzetta said:

@Neeshka said:

Also no there are helmets that still show a majority of the face, like the Dragonscale helm.

all the light ones and the first 3 heavy ones
#44 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Give me designed quality preset heads or give me death.

#45 Posted by UlquioKani (1025 posts) -

I find that the bigger problem with that game is how boring the narrative is. Otherwise it seems awesome. I'm kinda glad that the character creator doesn't have many options so I don't waste my time on it and the presets seem decent enough

#46 Edited by Zacagawea (1580 posts) -

Yeah...This character creator game is terrible.

#47 Posted by Banggoo (112 posts) -

I think the character creator is a large problem because it's indicative of the lack of variety in the NPCs. When I ran into the first town I said,"Goddamn it this NPC has the exact same hairstyle and the exact same complexion as me." He looked exactly like me aside from a different preset face and different clothing. I felt utterly generic which really set a poor tone for an already generic feeling fantasy RPG.

#48 Posted by wjames811 (10 posts) -

Ya, I am suffer because of create a character in game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.