This game seems kind of... bad?

• 169 results
#1 Posted by Oni (2110 posts) -

Was looking forward to this, played the demo like the rest of y'all... I don't think it's very good at all. Let me start with the things I liked: The combat and RPG underpinnings were solid. I liked the skill trees and the destinies and the general feel of the combat. The animations are decent and the feedback on hitting stuff is pretty good. If they built a solid game around those systems I'd probably play it.

Sadly, that's where they seemed to fail. First problem that basically kicks you in the face: The conversations are stilted and awful. They seemed to have copied the conversation system from Oblivion, only with Mass Effect style camera angles. It's incredibly stilted and dull. They don't do a good job of putting you in your character's shoes, because you don't really see him and (s)he is silent for whatever reason, which I think is a terrible design decision. I skipped through most of the dialogue because it was really uninteresting. Presenting the player with reams of text, voice acted or not, is just plain bad storytelling. It's a video game, y'all.

Visually, there isn't anything distinctive about the world either. It looks like WoW or Fable but without the charm or personality of either. It just feels bland as a result of the generic style.

Next problem: The game feels like two completely different games mashed together, and the two halves don't mesh at all. You've got the fast combat of a character action game, juxtaposed with slow-ass conversations, a derivative lockpicking minigame that takes too long and bunch of other shit that seems ripped straight out of an Elder Scrolls game. The whole thing feels incredibly tone deaf. Also, the MMO-like quest design, which sees you running around too much solving quests for characters you don't care about for reasons you probably won't care about, does the game no favors.

To drag the pacing down some more, there's horribly cumbersome inventory management. Wanna equip something on your feet? Gotta scroll down the whole equipment list manually, item per item. Bafflingly, they introduced a fairly stringent carry limit that I already ran into in the demo. This, again, clashes awfully with the action-y nature of the combat.

TL;DR The pacing is awful, the storytelling is bad and it's a bad combination of two genres. The combat is good.

Holla if you agree/disagree. If you think I'm being too harsh, I think more people should be. These games cost 60 bucks and there have been an awful lot of great fantasy games lately, this one just isn't up to snuff.

#2 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

Nope.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I thought it was boring.

#4 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

my three dealbreakers for this game -

1. EA.

2. dialogue trees. fuck dialogue trees. i want to skip the dialogue, not participate in it. stfu and let me run around and kill stuff and gather loot.

3. shields that magically appear and disappear. wtf when did rpg developers decide to not care about animations anymore. it's just so lazy.

#5 Posted by Doctorchimp (4055 posts) -

The character stuff I thought was compelling enough.

The only real gripe I had with it was Might/Sorcery really looked like it was a paladin and I don't really like tanks.

But man the finesse hybrids look incredible. I think I might go Might/Finesse, Finesse/Sorcery or just Sorcery.

#6 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

I only played a little but I think I generally agree. The combat and the progression and all that stuff seems really cool but everything else seems a little meh. The story seems like some generic ass fantasy, the art style isn't for me and dialogue does seem kinda bad.

#7 Posted by Sogeman (877 posts) -

It was interesting...until I left the first area and the timer started. Then I just got bored. It has solid mechanics and all, so maybe I'm just burned out on videogames.

They also played too much Dragon Age 2. The Junkitems made me facepalm again.

#8 Posted by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

From what I played of the demo, it looked like a fun combat engine with a lot of stuff to do in the game. Thats kind of all I want out of these games. I absolutely can't stand Skyrim because the combat is so boring and terrible. At least this game lets you have fun while playing it as opposed to "Hey, I'm going to go kill that dragon by... hitting right trigger over and over again while mashing potions/holding down a spell button while mashing potion/clumsily try to maneuver over to it while mashing potions because you can't really evade anything ever because you're so slow."

#9 Posted by baconbits33 (1155 posts) -

@Alkaiser said:

From what I played of the demo, it looked like a fun combat engine with a lot of stuff to do in the game. Thats kind of all I want out of these games. I absolutely can't stand Skyrim because the combat is so boring and terrible. At least this game lets you have fun while playing it as opposed to "Hey, I'm going to go kill that dragon by... hitting right trigger over and over again while mashing potions/holding down a spell button while mashing potion/clumsily try to maneuver over to it while mashing potions because you can't really evade anything ever because you're so slow."

Huh.... I love Skyrim, and maybe you're just playing it the wrong way, I was able to even avoid them damn bears when fighting, Heck I got to the point to where I could avoid dragon attacks, and use Unrelenting force to stop them from breathing fire or frost or whatever. And I loved sneaking around, seriously if you could hear yourself walking, so can your enemy, the thieves guild quests were a blast. And plus did you ever try to block with your shield, then bash to throw your opponent off, then power attack them? Dude I don't think you seriously used the fighting mechanics given to you.

Anyways, I haven't played the demo, I watched my brother play it though, and I gotta say I don't care much at all for it, I'll take Dragon Age over that.

#10 Posted by StingerMK2 (386 posts) -

i enjoyed the demo, did not like the character i was playing, might try the demo again and go for Might/Finesse build and see how i feel about it then, for some reason the straight up sorcery build got real boring quickly for me, im normally up for throwing spells around and shit, but i had most fun fighting the rock troll boss with daggers, so i might give that a go instead

#11 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

Any item that comes up you can press the compare button, then it turns into the equip button.

Mass Effect 2 had fast paced action and slow dialogue, but it worked well for that game. The Witcher 2 had fast paced action and slow dialogue.

I think allowing your character to speak is a bad design choice. When I play Mass Effect, I don't like Shepherd is me. Shepherd is a character I am playing. I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins with me being silent and having a bunch of options to choose from. I think it does a better job of making me feel like I'm having a conversation, instead of me picking diologe for a character to say.

There is a bunch of stuff from Elder Scrolls because a bunch of people who worked on those games made this.

#12 Edited by Zacagawea (1613 posts) -

It tries too hard to include every single other games somethings when all the game needs is it's own set of well made somethings. (That sentence makes sense in my head.) It doesn't feel like a game people would sensibly make, but a game where they just threw in the whole kitchen sink to check in another box on their "elements of a fantasy RPG" checklist.

#13 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

@phrali said:

3. shields that magically appear and disappear. wtf when did rpg developers decide to not care about animations anymore. it's just so lazy.

This is what I thought too but then I found amulets/talismans which you can equip and get a magical shield which doesn't break immersion like the actual shield do :)

#14 Posted by Rapid (1400 posts) -

Having played the demo, combat definitely is fun, the story is aright... but I agree generic. But the biggest criticism I have, and it seems like a lot of people agree is that your character isn't voiced.

#15 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

I'm totally fine with a lot of stuff, just the character models aren't very good in the game, and it seems pretty buggy. In the Destiny tutorial, my character started levitating and couldn't move, and, it being a demo, I couldn't reload a save to fix it.

#16 Posted by Flaboere (343 posts) -

@gike987 said:

The dialog was one of the worst parts to me. They pretty much copied Mass Effects system without realising that you need voice acting to make it work. If you don't have voice acting you need to write a whole sentence like in Dragon Age and older RPGs, otherwise your character will completely lack personality.

I think this is a very valid point, and after hearing it, I realize that's how i fellt while playing. You character is... someone who has no fate. That's it.

#17 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Yup, pretty much agree with all of that.

The conversation system is really unsuitable for this game, it's buggy and just doesn't seem to work well. The story was my biggest problem though, it's sickeningly generic and dull.

Not sure what anyone is seeing in this game.

#18 Posted by Brians (1465 posts) -

The demo was unplayable for me

#19 Edited by believer258 (12176 posts) -

@Oni said:

TL;DR The pacing is awful, the storytelling is bad and it's a bad combination of two genres. The combat is good.

Holla if you agree/disagree. If you think I'm being too harsh, I think more people should be. These games cost 60 bucks and there have been an awful lot of great fantasy games lately, this one just isn't up to snuff.

I hardly think you're being too harsh. A little harshness would do our industry good.

However, I disagree with you in the inverse way. I thought the combat was bland, but the pacing and storytelling were pretty good. As for mashing two genres, a fast-paced action one and a slow talk-y one? Remember that Mass Effect does the same thing. Fast paced action and a bunch of talk-y sections.

EDIT: And I felt that a voiced character would have been better, instead of the static Dragon Age/Skyrim characters. Why the hell can't we have main plot points voiced better, and other smaller things (like end-of-conversation exposition) given through text boxes a la Morrowind?

Regardless, this will be a game that I pick up over the summer, when I'm not swamped with college work.

#20 Posted by gike987 (1778 posts) -

The dialog was one of the worst parts to me. They pretty much copied Mass Effects system without realising that you need voice acting to make it work. If you don't have voice acting you need to write a whole sentence like in Dragon Age and older RPGs, otherwise your character will completely lack personality.

#21 Posted by Dimsey (964 posts) -

Totally agree. I'm sure it'll okay but there's no way I'm going to be picking it up at launch for full price.
Gonna wait a bit on this one.

#22 Posted by bananaz (259 posts) -

Agree. I was really disappointed in this demo. EA was really putting their weight behind this, so I was expecting something more. They are basically holding this up next to Mass Effect 3 and saying, "Look, these are the same thing!" It's not that anything is terrible, it's just dull.

The combat is not working for me. Skyrim has better melee. Why let you equip two melee weapons, if you can't use both mid-combo? Also, blocking isn't fast enough. The animation makes you put away weapons and pull out a shield. Huh? It seems like I can't switch between attack and defense without a significant delay that breaks the flow. I'll try again to see if I'm missing something.

#23 Posted by jacksmedulla (281 posts) -

Unlike the majority of people, I didn't even enjoy the combat. I was fairly optimistic about this game; I am really excited for Guild Wars 2, and I was hoping Reckoning would hold me over until that game was released. However, after playing the demo, I have no interest in purchasing the game. Everything about the game, the combat, the story, the dialogue, the art style, felt completely generic. Now my wait for Guild Wars 2 will be even more unbearable.

#24 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1263 posts) -

After playing and beating Dark Souls recently, the combat in Reckoning just couldn't do it for me. Though I know in a game like this (in the sense it will be like Skyrim), the first hour of it is definitely not enough time to judge it.

#25 Posted by ahgunsillyo (458 posts) -

I enjoyed my time with the demo. I thought the combat system was rather fun from what I played, though I like more action-oriented combat in RPGs (I liked Dragon Age II's more actiony combat, for instance). When I started out, I really wanted some sort of lock-on system so I could isolate a specific enemy to attack and strafe around, but I felt a bit better about it once the game started throwing a bunch of enemies at me at the same time. Also, after hearing Ken Rolston talk about it on the supplemental podcast last week, I wanted to have had access to the chakram weapons, but alas, I did not find a pair of those in the demo.

I've never played World of Warcraft, so I thought the game's bold colors and exaggerated style were a bit refreshing, especially after spending a great deal of time in Skyrim, which had a much more realistic art style and a much more washed-out color palette. I think one of the odd things about the art style in the game is that other games with similar art styles (like WoW and Fable, which I also really enjoy) incorporate a hefty amount of humor into the world, whereas this game seems to be playing their fiction incredibly straight, which might make the art style a bit out of place.

I agree that the dialogue wasn't very engaging. I felt like a lot of it was just "click on this topic to make this person talk more about it" rather than "have a conversation with this character." A lot of it had to do with the fact that there seemed to be two types of dialogue; a Mass Effect-style radial menu that acts more like actual responses in a conversation, and a more flat, expository list of terms that you just select to learn more about. This makes the dialogue a bit stilted and disjointed, which is unfortunate. I ended up skipping a bunch of the expository dialogue choices, but that's also partially because I don't really focus on getting engaged with world-building when I play demos.

It may or may not be an obvious conclusion to make, but Reckoning came across to me like an amalgamation of The Elder Scrolls and the Fable series. I really enjoy both series, so I'm all for another big-world RPG in the vein of those games.

#26 Posted by quirkwood (193 posts) -

@Oni:

I think a lot of people are expecting the to be Skyrim if you want that level of depth go play that (or Dragon Age: Origins). People are expecting this game to be something it was clearly not meant to be, this game is what it is; Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. From the short time the demo gives you with the game I had a great experience. Combat is fun and responsive, I also found it quite challenging when there were more than a couple of enemies bashing me at once (could be I was playing it wrong). The art style is great, people complain that it looks like WoW. I think it looks like a Todd McFarlane comic.

For me the bad reception this game has received is indicative of a problem with the gaming community as a whole. People don't want new things and when a game veers from what people expect from a genre or when a new IP isn't enough like other IPs or is too much like another IP they crack the sads. It's this attitude that is causing a dearth of creativity and ingenuity in video games today.

#27 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The only thing I liked was the Finesse combat but that doesn't remotely warrant $60.

#28 Edited by Three0neFive (2304 posts) -

Seems like yet another entirely uninteresting, watered-down, Fable-esque "RPG-Lite" where it's just a mish-mash of mechanics, none of which are particularly fleshed-out or difficult.

No thanks.

#29 Posted by Death_Unicorn (2838 posts) -

I haven't played it, but I disagree with your notion that video games need voice acting to tell good stories. See Knights of the Old Republic.

#30 Posted by Rayeth (1070 posts) -

Yeah some interesting ideas here. Maybe worth a pick up on PC for like $30-$40 some time in the future, but not a $60 game.

Maybe this will be better on consoles again? I feel pretty sad this is so CLEARLY console or at least controller focused. The controls on a PC without a gamepad are pretty atrocious. Plug in a gamepad and all of a sudden it is a whole different, better game.

#31 Posted by bwheeeler (487 posts) -

Everything that this game does, another game does better. It feels like a higher-profile version of Divinity II or Risen.

#32 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -

I completely agree with all your points but I even found the combat to not be very fun, either. And I wanted to play a sneaking character but half the time enemies just appear out of nowhere on the over world and in dungeons they're all facing you and it makes sneak really unviable early on. The whole thing was just really boring to me.

#33 Posted by Mystyr_E (1194 posts) -

@Death_Unicorn: wait...are you implying KOTOR's story wasn't good despite the voice acting inclusion or that it didn't have VA at all?

#34 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

I also agree.

The combat was pretty nice thou. I would be cool if Dragon Age 3, just copied this combat style for consoles and kept the DA: Origins combat system for pc's.

#35 Edited by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

@baconbits33 said:

@Alkaiser said:

Huh.... I love Skyrim, and maybe you're just playing it the wrong way, I was able to even avoid them damn bears when fighting, Heck I got to the point to where I could avoid dragon attacks, and use Unrelenting force to stop them from breathing fire or frost or whatever. And I loved sneaking around, seriously if you could hear yourself walking, so can your enemy, the thieves guild quests were a blast. And plus did you ever try to block with your shield, then bash to throw your opponent off, then power attack them? Dude I don't think you seriously used the fighting mechanics given to you.

Anyways, I haven't played the demo, I watched my brother play it though, and I gotta say I don't care much at all for it, I'll take Dragon Age over that.

Yeah, I did try to block and hit people. Either I'm just completely awful at hitting trigger buttons or the games hit detection is abysmal. Try popping it out into third person and see how much of a goddamn trainwreck it is. I mean, I'm sure I could just grind skills and kill things in one or two hits but I don't even want to grind in games that I actually like, let alone something that looks and feels like random flailing until "Oh, I guess this'll count as a killshot so lets pop you out into the same VATS style cutscene every time."

#36 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

I really enjoyed it. Feels a little low-budget, but also feels a little 'endearingly low-budget.' Pre-purchased after finishing the demo.

#37 Posted by spazmaster666 (1991 posts) -

@Red said:

I'm totally fine with a lot of stuff, just the character models aren't very good in the game, and it seems pretty buggy. In the Destiny tutorial, my character started levitating and couldn't move, and, it being a demo, I couldn't reload a save to fix it.

I ran into this exact same problem and I haven't gone back to it since.

Anyway, I do really like the combat though I agree the conversations do feel outdated. Also nothing about the visuals wowed me, despite the artwork being pretty good. Considering it's release date, I will probably not play this game at launch (given that I will probably still be deep into FFXIII-2 at that point) and will probably wait until later on in the year when there's more of a game-release drought.

#38 Posted by killergrapefruit (18 posts) -

The entire demo was bland and generic. From the god-awful combat with horrible animation-breaks to the stilted dialogue that seemed to switch between the ME-style wheel and Oblivion's list of boring topics at random, nothing in this game stands out as even remotely good. People were shitting all over Dragon Age II, but this is so much worse. And the writing in Amalur... The whole time I was thinking, someone just make it stop, please. There's a better version of this game already on the market. It's called Divinity II.

#39 Posted by Dtat (1630 posts) -

I have been pretty underwhelmed by what I've seen so far. For me it's really hard to get over how the visuals look like they fell out of 2006.

#40 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

That sounds pretty bad. I was playing Phantasy Star Portable 2 today and I had a similar situation where the unskipable story beats kept me out of the action and were completely uninteresting to me and really killed my enjoyment. Based on what I have seen of the game already it didn't really draw me in. 

I'll still try the demo at some point and my brother seems really excited about it so I may have a chance to play the full version still, but I bet it'll be a $5 steam purchase in two years and I'll be fine with that. If it is on Steam of course, I don't actually know but it seems like a safe assumption.

#41 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

As somebody who loves this genre of game the demo did leave me feeling very flat and I didn't feel compelled to play the full 45 minutes. I also had a weird experience of noticing all the games it's taking aspects from as they popped up and it's a real immersion breaker, the second I saw those gnomes I was thinking about World of Warcraft, same with the Elder Scrolls style crime/punishment system, I'm not sure why it was such a big deal in this game because most games take gameplay and stylistic cues from other games but this aspect came across much more jarring to me while I was playing.

It's a shame because I was starting to buy into the buzz a little but that demo has definitely put the game into more of an 'i'll play it eventually' category than an actively excited one.

#42 Posted by Tennmuerti (8174 posts) -

Yep dialogue system is kind of meh.

@phrali said:

2. dialogue trees. fuck dialogue trees. i want to skip the dialogue, not participate in it. stfu and let me run around and kill stuff and gather loot.

Actually you can do exactly that.
All the dialogue options except the ones marked as quest are just filler.
If you just want to grab quests and kill stuff you can do just that and  never bother with any of the white dialogue choices.

But it seems like a dungeon crawler like Diablo 3 would be more your style then an actual rpg like Reckoning.
#43 Posted by Skyfire543 (759 posts) -

No voiced characters?

Meh. dont give a shit. Most of the RPGs I play the character doesnt have a voice. KotOR, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, etc etc. Thats not a big deal for me.

The shield popping out of your character's ass was just stupid. If you can put a sword on your back, you can put a sheild there too.

The story seems really generic, and story is usually the main reason I play an RPG, but the combat is great and feels satisfying. So I'm probably gonna pick this game up later when it price drops to 40 bucks.

#44 Edited by Lagaroth (171 posts) -

I think the problem I have with it is that with all of the pieces and concepts taken from other games, in my limited time playing it, I didn't see anything that seemed like they were trying to either advance the genre or move on past the tired concepts of the past.

I am so sick of tutorial dungeons. The idea that you can only sell stolen items to certain merchants is silly. Conversation wheels are stupid. Dwarves should not all be Scottish.

Edit: I'll still probably buy it because I am a sucker for fantasy.

@Skyfire543:

Only the player isn't voice acted. NPCs are.

#45 Posted by byterunner (319 posts) -

I have to say I found it fun. Personally I never had the problem with dialogue but I guess I'm just a bad person and cant tell good taste if it punched me in the mouth.

#46 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I enjoyed playing as a double-dagger dude, but that's about it. Wasn't interested at all in any of the dialogue or story, but I guess I could have given it a more fair chance. I may pick it up sometime.

#47 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

Well, I went into with a dislike of fantasy in general, especially the ones with dwarves and elves as distinctive races. So I stopped playing it pretty quickly. And all those stupid names, I swear it's like they used the name generator in World of Warcraft or something.

#48 Edited by Skyfire543 (759 posts) -

@Lagaroth said:

@Skyfire543:

Only the player isn't voice acted. NPCs are.

I'm aware. I've played all of the games I listed. But people keep complaining about the main character not being voiced, yet there are plenty of great games where the main character isn't voiced. Not just in the RPG genre either. The first Jak game for example.

EDIT: So basically I'm trying to say that just because your character isnt voiced doesnt mean the game is going to be bad.

#49 Posted by Gabriel (4081 posts) -

God did not give 2 shits about the lore so I was skipping cut-scenes, it was honestly one of the worst fantasy setups I've seen in awhile especially after coming off Skyrim which is on Lord of the Rings quality level. This game should have come out before November.

#50 Posted by akeripper4 (158 posts) -

am i the only one who thought of jade empire for some strange reason but without any form of lock on mechanism?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.