Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an open-world singleplayer RPG with combo-based action and the trappings of an MMORPG. Reckoning is set in Amalur, the same setting as 38 Studios' planned MMO codenamed "Copernicus."

Why do people think this looks good?

• 124 results
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#101  Edited By ericdrum

@TheLeamenator: But isn't that an everyday part of being a gamer that hangs out on forums and talks about this stuff? I see something EVERY SINGLE DAY that someone else thinks is amazing and I think is just okay. I'm not good at explaining why I like pizza. I can tell you a few things that make up why, but in the end I just freaking like pizza. Games are often the same way. We can give you the combat, art style, exploration, whatever components, all day long. But with those of us that think the game is cool, we just like how they all meld and we find it interesting. I think you just need to leave it at that and move on. There are surely games you like that other people hate. It makes sense to you, it doesn't to them. All entertainment is this way to me. Call this explanation lazy, but it's really that simple. I freaking loved Too Human, and I'll be damned if I can ever explain that to someone who hated that game.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By Blind_Evil

@TheLeamenator said:

I suppose I just don't understand why some people are going absolutely "gaga" over it. It looks all right. It looks like a fairly competent fantasy RPG, but nothing special. At least not in a "MOST ANTICIPATED GAME OF 2012!!!" sort of way. 1. The story and the storytelling is pretty awful. 2.Sure, the world is big, but the paths in between key locations are relentlessly narrow. The game does have an okay art style and the combat is certainly a huge improvement over something like, I dunno, Skyrim. 3. But that's really only as a result of it being developed solely in third-person. So, 4.if the only thing this game is really doing better than other recent fantasy RPGs is having a somewhat distinctive art style and a combat system that doesn't suck, but is then failing at doing what those other games do so well (storytelling, vast exploration, etc.), I just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me just what it is that makes it so appealing? I'm all ears. I won't be a dick. I'll listen... Just as long as you don't lazily continue on with saying "opinions". Now, that's just lazy.

Okay, here goes. I'm inserting some numbers into your post and corresponding counterpoints. Note that a key piece of a person's anticipation for a game is their frequency of game consumption. I buy 1-2 new games per month, I have Final Fantasy XIII-2 coming, Syndicate most likely as well. If someone is the type that buys a game every 4-5 months, hitting only the biggest tentpoles at launch, I wouldn't expect them to be super excited about Reckoning.

1. I can't do anything with that but tell you that the plot premise holds potential, and I've dug a little into the lore on amalur.com and think it'll be pretty good in broad strokes. The conversational part of the storytelling, you're right, is not the best. Watching NPCs go through canned gesticulations while exposition flows forth is a few steps behind Mass Effect 2, which I consider the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling to this point. If you value others' views on such things, the guys on GBcast this week all seemed interested by the premise.

2. That's the negative side of the coin. To use the natural comparison, areas in Skyrim are terribly vast, so much that I'm often wasting my time trying to find paths up mountains that simply aren't there. The narrower pathing also allows for more specialized, unique-looking set pieces. Whether or not that pays off, we'll see.

3. That's not really true. Plenty of third person RPGs with shitty/passive combat. I see plenty at a glance on my shelf.

4. Here's a big thing. I'm done with Skyrim. I'm done with Dragon Age 2, and The Witcher 2 isn't coming til April. There's room at my gaming table for more than one or two RPGs per year, because I love the genre. If people still have things they want to do in Skyrim, by all means wait for a sale or skip Reckoning. I'm just ready for the next RPG.

I just see a lot of potential. That's why I'm excited, why I'm taking Tuesday off. I want to see the places and people connected to the entries on the lore website, more pieces of fantastic gear like the two purple pieces I've seen in the demo.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Storms
    @TheLeamenator said:

It looks like a fairly competent fantasy RPG

SOLD 

Sure, the world is big, but the paths in between key locations are relentlessly narrow.

That's what I thought at first, too. After moving around for a bit, I see more openness than I did at a glance. Not every game can be Skyrim, unfortunately. 

But that's really only as a result of it being developed solely in third-person.

Agreed. But that doesn't diminish how it felt when I was swinging those Faeblades around. 

So, if the only thing this game is really doing better than other recent fantasy RPGs is having a somewhat distinctive art style and a combat system that doesn't suck, but is then failing at doing what those other games do so well (storytelling, vast exploration, etc.), I just don't get it.

That sounds like the formula for every great game. Do one or two things quite well, get passing grades on everything else and you've got something wonderful. I'd say my favorite game ever, Skyrim, does two things amazingly well. The complicated, mystical lore and the massive open world. Everything else -- the combat, the crafting, etc... Is just good. But it adds up.

I just don't get it. Can someone please explain to me just what it is that makes it so appealing? I'm all ears. I won't be a dick.

The guess I venture is that people who are 'gaga' are seeing the forest for the trees. Nothing is amazingly impressive all by itself. It's all the parts that add up to create a big new world with new lore that's calling to us to see what McFarlane drew and hear what Salvatore wrote and build up our characters along the way. 
    TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#104  Edited By TheLeamenator

@Blind_Evil: Fair enough. Just one thing I wish to say: I personally think Grand Theft Auto IV is the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in video games - not Mass Effect 2 (so maybe that just shows where my interests lie). Thanks for the detailed opinion.

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#105  Edited By Blind_Evil

@TheLeamenator: GTAIV is definitely strong in that regard, but to me Rockstar has a bad habit of making 8 hours of amazing narrative surrounded by 20 hours of non-optional filler gameplay. Had the same issue with Red Dead Redemption. The last 4 or so hours were amazing, but the middle 10 seemed like nothing but a tease.

TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By TheLeamenator

@Blind_Evil: It's interesting how everyone always says the middle of Red Dead Redemption is the weakest part of that game, whereas that whole side story set during the Mexican revolutionary war is easily the best part of that game for me. From the characters to the beauty of the terrain to the grandiose scope of all the events that happens there, Nuevo Paraiso easily stands above the other two acts... At least, that's how I feel.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By kindgineer

Opinions.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#108  Edited By kingzetta
    @TheLeamenator said:

I won't be a dick.

it's a little late for that
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By NTM

I haven't looked into this game, almost to the extent that it doesn't really exist, not because I have anything against it, it was just never a game I had on my mind. But I was just on IGN, and they have their review up if you want to go check it out.

TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By TheLeamenator

@kingzetta: I won't be a BIGGER dick.

Desiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#111  Edited By Desiant

@DragoonKain1687 said:

It felt like the first Fable, but with more cool stuff.

That's essentially what I thought. A mix of Fable, maybe a dash of Oblivion, and a drop of God of War, and we get Reckoning.

Graphics were never really one to irk me unless they're spectacularly bad, not as in ugly-bad, but unoptimized-PoS-bad. Combat looks fun, and the story holds some potential, so it's definitely on my radar.

optimalpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By optimalpower

Damn you all. Grow up and stop bickering.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@TheLeamenator said:

@Blind_Evil: Fair enough. Just one thing I wish to say: I personally think Grand Theft Auto IV is the pinnacle of cinematic storytelling in video games - not Mass Effect 2 (so maybe that just shows where my interests lie). Thanks for the detailed opinion.

I despise GTA IV. So yeah :P

Also..Because I like the colors and the combat :D

TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TheLeamenator

@Still_I_Cry: I think the very idea of "despising GTA IV" is ludicrous. So yeah :P

Enigmatical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#115  Edited By Enigmatical
    @TheLeamenator I'm with you on this. I wasn't truly impressed with Red Dead's visuals until I reached Mexico and I was absolutely blow away.
    Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Storms
    @Desiant: Ever played Dragon Age? 

The menus and level-up screen are carbon-copies of that at some points.
    Desiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Desiant

@Storms said:

@Desiant: Ever played Dragon Age? The menus and level-up screen are carbon-copies of that at some points.

I have, actually, both the first and second (enjoyed them both, I'm not horribly picky about my game mechanics).

Though the thought on the menus is interesting. I played on PC, and found it rather clunky (the UI and the camera are just about the only problems I have, aside from that, it works better than when I played it on my PS3, especially in the framerate department). Strange that I didn't even notice the similarities.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The only reason I think this game looks good is because it's fucking incredible.

Other than that, no reason I guess.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#119  Edited By Yanngc33

"cough" some of the devs are friends of the site "cough" "cough" that's why "cough"

Joking aside I also think this looks boring. I thought Skyrim was boring so i'm a lost cause. Some people are just into this whole fantasy stuff which is why it's appealing to them.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By jmrwacko

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

Because some people have different opinions on what is generic and boring than you do. /gasp

I don't get how generic can be an opinion.

Okay, let's put it another way. Your definition of generic is wrong.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Karl_Boss

Because Curt Schilling

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By TheHumanDove

why do people like thngs!

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Nottle

@jmrwacko said:

@Nottle said:

@Lagaroth said:

Because some people have different opinions on what is generic and boring than you do. /gasp

I don't get how generic can be an opinion.

Okay, let's put it another way. Your definition of generic is wrong.

1 a: relating to or characteristic of a whole group or class :general

But facts can't be wrong, This ^^^ is a definition of generic. If something is factually similar to it's group that isn't an opinion.

BatmanReturned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By BatmanReturned

An RPG that doesn't play like absolute garbage and is nearly on par with a character action game, nobody would ever enjoy that. So the story is generic fantasy but to be realistic here for a second every fantasy is generic fantasy and if you can't see that you're in an absurd state of denial.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.