Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kirby

Franchise »

The genre-spanning series of games centering around the pink puffball known as Kirby.

I've never played a Kirby game, where to start?

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By STUVNING

After watching two cursing babies play Epic Yarn, I realized I've never played a single game in the Kirby franchise.

What game should I start with? I've got acess to a few older Nintendo consoles but only the Wii U and 3DS are ready to go. Any good Kirby games on Virtual Console yet?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Kirby's Dream Land which was on the WII as a downloadable. Assuming they still do that. I don't know about WIIU- i'm gonna say probably.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Corevi

Super Star (SNES) is the best one and will give you the entire Kirby experience, it's my favourite 2D game ever. Return to Dreamland on Wii and Triple Deluxe on 3DS are also adorable. Kirby's Epic Yarn is different but it still is stunningly cute.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kirby Super Star Deluxe on the DS is phenomenal. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (remake of the first) and Kirby's Dreamland 3 are great as well, I believe both or at least one are available on the Wii U eShop.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By YI_Orange

Grab a friend and play Kirby Superstar for the SNES. It's easily the best Kirby game and one of my favorite games of all time.

itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You should probably play Kirby Super Star. I'm pretty sure this is the only answer.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another vote for Super Star. If you can find it, the DS remake (Super Star Ultra) would be a good option.

Canvas Curse was pretty good too, but it's pretty different from a typical Kirby game.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Kirby's Dream Land which was on the WII as a downloadable. Assuming they still do that. I don't know about WIIU- i'm gonna say probably.

You can get it on 3DS through Nintendo's rewards program until tomorrow.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Canvas Curse was my first one but its different from the typical Kirby games and finding it may take a while since its a near-launch DS game.

defe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll echo what plenty are saying already. If you just want to dive right in, see if you can dig up a copy of Kirby Super Star Ultra for the DS. It's a remake of Kirby Super Star for the SNES (often called the best in the series) with cleaned up graphics and some new content thrown in. If you just want a standard Kirby game with Kirby gameplay, that's the way to go.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Is Wii U backwards compatible? I should probably know the answer to that. Anyways, if it is and you are willing to pay for convenience then Kirby's Dream Collection for the Wii contains Dreamland 1-3, Super Star, Adventure, and 64 on a single disc. It sells for something like $40 used these days as it was a super limited release, but that would give you all of the classic games on a single disc. From my (limited) Kirby experience, most of the games featuring the core mechanics are pretty similar. There are a ton for handhelds. I think there were like four on GBA, and two or three core entries on the DS as well as the new one on 3DS. Then there was Canvas Curse and Mass Attack on DS(haven't played the former but I really enjoyed the latter) which both use the touch screen for some interesting mechanics but aren't your core Kirby platformers, and then on Wii you have Epic Yarn (which again is not a normal Kirby platformer) and at least one or two core Kirby platformers. They also did a Kart Racing Kirby game on either the N64 or Gamecube, I don't recall which right now. But your best bet for pure Kirby gaming is probably that collection or one of the numerous handheld titles.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yup Dream Land was a wonderful game. Spent hours glued to my brick Gameboy back in the day.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By MEATBALL

Kirby Triple Deluxe on the 3DS is a fine starting point, classic Kirby gameplay with some fun little twists and I think it's one of the series' best.

Kirby Super Star on the SNES is also a great starting point. It's on the WiiU Virtual Console, so a smaller investment than a new 3DS game, too.

Also, I don't recommend it as any kind of starting point, since it's barely even a Kirby game, but I just wanted to say I love Kirby's Dream Course.

STUVNING

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Really grateful for all the tips, thanks!

I think I'll give Super Star a try on Virtual Console. Seems like the easiest way to get going and the Wii U need to see some use.

Dvsshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: That is the only Kirby to play. I could never really get into the sequels.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'll throw my hat in the ring and go with Kirby's Adventure. It's one of the last NES games Nintendo made and it is incredible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.