Nintendo Outs New Kirby Game In Quarterly Report

• 98 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Look forward to a brand new, non-yarn-based Kirby game for the Wii. Nintendo of Japan dropped a small mention of a fresh Kirby game in its quarterly report alongside a small video demonstration of the game in action. 

The title, which is being developed by HAL Laboratory, doesn’t appear to be a direct follow-up to last year's Epic Yarn. As you’ll see in the video, this is a Kirby game with a wholly different visual style and a different set of powers. As Joystiq notes in its article about the sudden reveal, you’ll catch Kirby swinging around a massive sword and summoning a fire dragon. Also, vomiting enemies. 

If or when this is coming to North America is anyone’s guess at the moment, though I’m sure we’ll be hearing much more about this one rather soon. That last Kirby game turned out pretty darn well, after all.
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Look forward to a brand new, non-yarn-based Kirby game for the Wii. Nintendo of Japan dropped a small mention of a fresh Kirby game in its quarterly report alongside a small video demonstration of the game in action. 

The title, which is being developed by HAL Laboratory, doesn’t appear to be a direct follow-up to last year's Epic Yarn. As you’ll see in the video, this is a Kirby game with a wholly different visual style and a different set of powers. As Joystiq notes in its article about the sudden reveal, you’ll catch Kirby swinging around a massive sword and summoning a fire dragon. Also, vomiting enemies. 

If or when this is coming to North America is anyone’s guess at the moment, though I’m sure we’ll be hearing much more about this one rather soon. That last Kirby game turned out pretty darn well, after all.
#2 Posted by adoggz (2042 posts) -

cool

#3 Posted by Evelgest (122 posts) -

Can't get enough Kirby these days.

#4 Posted by juanvaldes (181 posts) -

ohh new classic kirby game. 

#5 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

oh snap

#6 Posted by MegaGoat (219 posts) -

Kirby is a sex master

#7 Posted by MisterMouse (3540 posts) -

more kirby!!!!!!

#8 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

I wanna hump it.

#9 Posted by XenoNick (1390 posts) -

Still don't have epic yarn in the UK. :(

#10 Posted by spankingaddict (2659 posts) -

Not these kirby games! :(

The only ones I really liked were Kirby's Epic Yarn and Canvas Curse...

The old school ones are a bit boring,imo...

#11 Posted by PlasmaMachine (244 posts) -
Is...is that Indiana Jones Kirby? AAAUGH IT IS SOOOOO RAD!
#12 Posted by fwylo (3556 posts) -

I'm so sick of these franchises.

#13 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

More like pretty YARN well!!!

#14 Posted by FreakAche (2949 posts) -

I still gotta play Epic Yarn. So much Kirby, so little time!

#15 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1867 posts) -

nice.

#16 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

Oh my god, all those classic dreamland sound bites are giving me some serious wood.

#17 Edited by Crushed (884 posts) -

Wait, this is the Kirby game that was announced for GameCube back in 2005.  They moved it to Wii a year later, then it seemed like it was canceled.

HAL Laboratory was still making it!?

#18 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -

Back to sucking and blowing

#19 Posted by TooWalrus (13136 posts) -

Looks like they made old Kirby, eh? I'll buy a copy of Nightmare in Dreamland if the put it out on the 3DS virtual console. Or maybe I should buy another GBA SP to replace mine that was stolen at LAX.

#20 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3172 posts) -

Straight classic I like it. 

#21 Posted by masonl87@gmail.com (12 posts) -

SOLD!

#22 Posted by Krixok (156 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:
" Looks like they made old Kirby, eh? I'll buy a copy of Nightmare in Dreamland if the put it out on the 3DS virtual console. Or maybe I should buy another GBA SP to replace mine that was stolen at LAX. "
My brother's GBA SP was stolen at LAX too! 
What the hell LAX?
#23 Posted by deyanne (66 posts) -

seeing this kinda of batshit crazy stuff really makes me wonder, WHY ARE THERE NOT MORE KIRBY GAMES!? 

#24 Posted by ThePilgrums (423 posts) -
@Crushed said:
" Wait, this is the Kirby game that was announced for GameCube back in 2005.  They moved it to Wii a year later, then it seemed like it was canceled. HAL Laboratory was still making it!? "
Yeah, this was my first thought, too. This is a game that's like seven years in the making haha! Kirby's Duke Nukem Forever.
#25 Posted by Pepsiman (2459 posts) -
@Crushed said:
" Wait, this is the Kirby game that was announced for GameCube back in 2005.  They moved it to Wii a year later, then it seemed like it was canceled. HAL Laboratory was still making it!? "
That was my exact thought, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognized what it (probably) is. The game's had such a weird development saga, although so did some other former GameCube games back then. I think Super Paper Mario had similar delay issues, but as we all might have noticed, that game actually came out. But yeah, freaky thing to bring back from the dead, at least publicly.
#26 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

I WANT THIS SO MUCH.

#27 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Too bad they didn't do another installment in the Epic Yarn game as I think on the new DS it'd go quite well compared to a Kirby game that to me looks like so many other Kirby games.

#28 Posted by Darknaut (126 posts) -

Always down for more Kirby.

#29 Posted by JJOR64 (18907 posts) -

No THAT is the Kirby game I want.

#30 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

looks awesome!

#31 Posted by OldManLollipop (306 posts) -

I told myself I'd appreciate Epic Yarn more when they went back to a faster more action-y Kirby game, and I guess I was right.

Looks cool.

#32 Posted by Rxanadu (504 posts) -

Power-up super moves?  Indiana Kirby?   
I don't care what year this comes out in.  It's GOTY, regardless in my book.

#33 Edited by Bloodgraiv3 (2712 posts) -

semi follow up to epic yarn? 
sold. 
#34 Posted by AndrewB (7491 posts) -

I hope HAL has some awesome new ideas, because Kirby is just about as stale of a franchise as Sonic in their main game iterations. Not entirely the same, of course, since there has been a modern DS Kirby game that cribbed off of existing content, but also added fresh new levels and a whole companion system for single player and co-op.

#35 Posted by Tally_Pants (591 posts) -

i just got Epic Yarn and its SO FUN! this game will be a definite buy!

#36 Posted by nick_verissimo (1380 posts) -

I dunno, the main draw of the last Kirby game was just how charming and damn cute the aesthetic was.  Take that out and you've got a game I'm not all that interested in. 

#37 Posted by elko84 (1038 posts) -

that's a big sword

#38 Posted by Cybexx (1151 posts) -

This is kind of a letdown after Epic Yarn, I mean I like Kirby but I've played too many Kirby games of this style so this seems like a step back.

#39 Posted by JackSukeru (5903 posts) -

i'm planning on getting Epic Yarn when it's released but this regular style of kirby, with crazy powers and whatnot, has gotten a bit old to me. 

I would rather see them taking a risk with this series and make it into a 3D platformer, or is the age of converting 2D playstyles into 3D playstyles too far gone already?

#40 Posted by Lifestrike (481 posts) -
I'm glad Kirby is receiving so much attention again!

This looks pretty neat, I hope it has an arena mode and coop options.

#41 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

Look at that sword. Jesus.

#42 Posted by BjornTheUnicorn (356 posts) -

Epic Yarn was my GOTY last year. And even though that's not the most traditional Kirby game, I'm still excite.

#43 Posted by Sepultallica86 (120 posts) -
@spankingaddict: Huh, some one who doesn't like or find the Dream Land games fun, that is wierd.
#44 Posted by Mumrik (1076 posts) -

Arrrrrhhh yeah baby, swallow all of it!

#45 Posted by virtorio (248 posts) -

Looks fun, but I hate the fucking music (actually all Nintendo music). 

#46 Posted by afrofools (1313 posts) -

Kirby>Mario

#47 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

So they went from no abilities to FUCKING CRAZY abilities.  I am so ok with both.

#48 Posted by robertp12 (13 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTDdLzM2t9k

#49 Posted by dvorak (1496 posts) -

A more classic Kirby game is something I would totally love.

#50 Posted by mrsmiley (1053 posts) -

oh man... this is one of the few games that makes me wish i had a wii...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.