Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kirby's Epic Yarn

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 14, 2010

Kirby's first console outing since Kirby Air Ride sees our lovable pink hero using the power of magical yarn, rather than his usual inhaling abilities, to explore a world made of arts and crafts.

E3 Quick Impressions: Kirby's Epic Yarn

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By dantebk

I played a three level demo of Kirby's Epic Yarn cooperatively with a very nice lady from Nintendo.  The first thing you should know is the game looks beautiful.  Artistically, it may be the best-looking Wii game so far.  It's got virtually nonstop charm, from Kirby himself, made of a loop of twine, to the whole world of fabric and buttons.  Kirby no longer eats things, he whips them, and he can wrap his whip around buttons and protrusions to literally pull on the level like it's a curtain, revealing secrets and changing the landscape.  As a co-op game, it plays like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, only not as competitively.  Sometimes it's useful to grab your partner and throw him at an enemy or a wall of blocks, but it doesn't harm him.  Besides the art-style, it plays like a fairly conventional (and fairly easy) 2D platformer, but I can't wait to play more just because I love looking at it so much.

If you have any questions, comment and I will try to answer.

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dantebk

I played a three level demo of Kirby's Epic Yarn cooperatively with a very nice lady from Nintendo.  The first thing you should know is the game looks beautiful.  Artistically, it may be the best-looking Wii game so far.  It's got virtually nonstop charm, from Kirby himself, made of a loop of twine, to the whole world of fabric and buttons.  Kirby no longer eats things, he whips them, and he can wrap his whip around buttons and protrusions to literally pull on the level like it's a curtain, revealing secrets and changing the landscape.  As a co-op game, it plays like New Super Mario Bros. Wii, only not as competitively.  Sometimes it's useful to grab your partner and throw him at an enemy or a wall of blocks, but it doesn't harm him.  Besides the art-style, it plays like a fairly conventional (and fairly easy) 2D platformer, but I can't wait to play more just because I love looking at it so much.

If you have any questions, comment and I will try to answer.

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By kelbear

What can you tell us about the controls?

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dantebk
    @kelbear said:
    " What can you tell us about the controls? "
    Good question.  Sorry I didn't cover this before.  I played it with a Wii remote turned sideways like a NES controller.  D-pad to move, 1 to whip, and 2 to jump.  Tapping 1 just destroys an enemy, but if you hold 1 down you snag the enemy and can carry them around or throw them.  Holding down 2 slows your fall by morphing Kirby into a parachute.  You can also push down in the air to slam like an anvil, and double-tap left or right to turn into a fast-moving car.  The demonstrator said they wanted to add Wii MotionPlus support, but had "no comment" when I asked what that could possibly mean for a game like this.  Otherwise use of motion didn't seem that vital, except for one area where we turned into a giant tank, and could tilt the Wii remote to aim our weapons (we each had control of different weapons, but I think only I could actually move the tank).  

Thanks for reading!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.