Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Knack

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

An action-platformer from Mark Cerny and SCE Japan Studio for PlayStation 4. Knack was the first game ever shown on PS4.

Anyone else think the check-points are perfectly fine?

Avatar image for primefivebyfive
    PrimeFiveByFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While playing through Knack for the first time, I kept thinking back to the reviews that said the check-points were unfair. Some, according to them, even being 10 to 15 minutes apart. Now call me crazy, but I can't remember any check-points being that far away from each other. Unless they meant boss battles, but even those were perfectly fair in my opinion. They required precision to get through, something I expect from an old-school game.

I 'did' approach this game as an old-school action platformer, and by old-school game standards, the check points were very generous. Am I the only one thinking this?

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

I go back to it every know and then and the checkpoints stop me from continuing. Some aren't that extreme, but they aren't that good.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I had no problem with it. You don't get one every minute, but it made it a bit more tense.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By GunstarRed

There are a couple of places where there should definitely be a differently placed checkpoint, but for the most part Knack is completely fair with its difficulty and checkpointing.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

After finishing the game I didn't have too much of an issue with the checkpoints, I had more issue with every level feeling and playing the same with a different skin basically over it.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I wouldn't have had as much of an issue with the checkpoints if it had been fun to play through that stuff again; the issue I had was mostly that it was frequently multiple combat encounters between checkpoints, and the combat encounters were so far from being fun that it was just rage-inducing.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

I'm sorry but no, you are 100% wrong. The checkpoints are way too far apart for the repetitive, zero-fun bullshit platforming and combat they make you do. Having to play any part of this game over is a chore, and for the checkpointing to be what it is in what's ostensibly a kid's game is laughable. And whoever decided not to save you at mid-level checkpoints so you have to start an entire level over if you quit before you finish - especially considering how crash-happy the damn game is - is a war criminal who needs to be brought to The Hague.

Fuck Knack, what an awful game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By GERALTITUDE

@iamjohn said:

I'm sorry but no, you are 100% wrong. The checkpoints are way too far apart for the repetitive, zero-fun bullshit platforming and combat they make you do. Having to play any part of this game over is a chore, and for the checkpointing to be what it is in what's ostensibly a kid's game is laughable. And whoever decided not to save you at mid-level checkpoints so you have to start an entire level over if you quit before you finish - especially considering how crash-happy the damn game is - is a war criminal who needs to be brought to The Hague.

Fuck Knack, what an awful game.

PASSION.

Love posts like this!

For me it was pretty much.. not this at all!

Totally see where iamjohn be coming from but all in all I had very little problems with the checkpoints. Makes the game a little white knuckle but it's also a perfect trade-off co-op thing.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By turboman

The checkpoints aren't the problem with the game. Lack of variety in this game was the problem.

I actually somewhat enjoyed the punishing difficulty of the combat.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By bwheeeler

I'll let you know when this is free on PS+!

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I'll let you know when this is free on PS+!

I think a metacritic score has to be about 70% for them to put it up there. Though that's more of a guideline than an actual hardline rule. Knack is in the 50s.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

I tried to do a second playthrough of Knack but it was so stressful because of how repetitive and tedious the game was. The checkpoints were in odd spots the majority of the time and felt very spread out in a real bad way.

I approached Knack as a more family orientated game, but it definitely did not feel that way at all. At least the end credits were charming, that made it a bit more worthwhile to go through all of that crap.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.