Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Knights in the Nightmare

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 25, 2008

Knights in the Nightmare is a turn-based strategy RPG / bullet hell hybrid developed by Sting Entertainment.

Why a Atlus games like Knights in the Nightmare won't sell.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

(gamingunion)
    No Caption Provided
    Atlus' upcoming game, Knights in the Nightmare, isn't your average strategy role-playing game (SRPG). With it's touch-only gameplay, it naturally would take some time to get used to, hence why Atlus put up a demo of the game on the Nintendo Channel. So what will gamers think of it now that they get to experience a taste of the gameplay?

No Caption Provided
    The demo focuses solely on the battle basics. More than six different tutorials are available, ranging from evading enemy attacks to unleashing special charged attacks to defeat your enemies and collect the gems they drop. Each tutorial isn't too long or too short (only 3-4 minutes for each one), and doesn't get too in-depth to confuse players who might have downloaded the demo to hear what all the recent fuss was about.

No Caption Provided
    However, there are some issues with the demo. After learning about a new part to the gameplay, the game will show you how to do it, then the player gets a turn to do the same. However, even the slightest deviation from the routine will cause you to get scolded and do it over again. Atlus could have modified it so you had a little bit more leeway, especially since this type of gameplay will be foreign to most Nintendo DS owners. Also, one would expect a mock battle to be able to use all the skills you learned in the tutorials after completing all of them, but nothing happens.

No Caption Provided
    Considering most of Atlus' games fly under the radar of most gamers, giving a demo of this unique game hopefully will persuade some gamers to give a game they would have otherwise passed up a try

And this is where the problem with Atlus games reside.  Most of the games are usually quite difficult to get into.  They don't just slide you in gently.  Sure, they tried with Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure, a game that is heavily on the cute side of things and quite an easy RPG relatively speaking.  This still didn't sell.  I don't believe the nature of the game is the problem though.  Once people play them, most would enjoy the challenges the game presents.

Atlus make and distribute great games.  They are difficult to market.  If they had a generic package and a generic and stupid name that linked all the games, well, they would Ubisoft.  It isn't, however, out of the realms of possibility for a good marketing company to come up with something.

Imagine if you will, that all (well most) Atlus RPG games had a single title that could be used to link all the games in a single marketing campaign.  Like Touch! Generation in a sense.  People are really into fantasy, so why not Fantasy Generation?  Sure, it might pique the interest of S-E,'s lawyers but they don't own the word.  Perhaps linking the word with another - Fantasy Realm.  Grow the brand and give all the new games a single point of focus.

Whilst I have a background in Marketing, I am far from an expert here.  My point is that just as Nintendo learned a profit generating experience with clever marketing, so could game companies themselves.  Atlus have built there name on RPG, but only the hardcore gamers know about it.  It makes sense to reach out to the new audience.  Get them to try games outside the obvious.  When they play them, they will realise just how enjoyable these games can be.  They have the right cartoon/cute chibi style to be attractive to the new audience.  Advertising needs to present these attractive images to the right audience of new players.  Someone 'cool' to market them would help.  I know this would make most of us sick, but a popular musician/actor would do wonders for the genre.

All games had to get their audience from somewhere, but I don't believe a cohesive marketing strategy is in place for Atlus.  They are in a perfect position to have the new audience embrace them.  With the right packaging and marketing, it could be very successful specifically with the DS (and the Wii as well).

If it wasn't for me, my daughters would not know a thing about these games.  They are the target audience and Atlus can't rely on good and intelligent parents like me  :-)  they need to give them a reason to come in.

What are your thoughts?  Are we willing to share a gem in Atlus and their DS games, or should we be greedy and keep the secret to ourselves?  

Edit:  Sorry for the typo in the header - I missed that  :-(
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

So, small company publishing niche titles and making do with small profits. Apparently, they can't afford insane ad campaigns. Natural? Oh well, as long as the core fans allow them to continue doing their thing, everybody's happy. Blame the press for having the power but not helping :P

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool

I don't know that they have to spend insane amounts of money.  My point is about bringing all of their marketing into a single focus, giving it that focal point that a name has and growing that name.  Then people will automatically associate the product to that name.  The trick is about getting that name to stick.  It is dumbing down in a marketing sense, but that doesn't mean that the games are dumbed down.

It is the bait and hook approach.  It is the best interests of a company like Atlus to get more people into their games.  Marketing is the only way to cut through.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Axersia

To be perfectly honest, I already get annoyed by all these people that would normally never play a JRPG but are suddenly interested in Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run, so imagine what would happen if 50 Cent started to pimp this new hot game called Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor on his diamond-encrusted DSi -- I'd kill myself.

I just can't stand my niche getting invaded and like my obscure games to stay obscure. So no sharing, sorry. :P (not that I don't play casual games as well -- Kingdom Hearts II is my favorite game of all time and that game is extremely casual).

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool

I certainly feel your pain Axersia.  I remember seeing the B52s in concert after their big hit with Love Shack.  I was a fan instantly from Planet Claire.  SUddenly, I am surrounded by people saying how cool The B52s were, but having no real idea or love of all the albums they had before Roam, that were great, but didn't sell.  I seriously wanted to yell at these 'newcomers'.

I have more of an academic fixation on this subject though.  I kind of like loving a game that nobody as heard of.  It makes me feel superior    
    :-)  On the other hand, I just know these games could sell so much better given the right marketing strategy.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r
    oldschool said:
    I don't know that they have to spend insane amounts of money. My point is about bringing all of their ... [more]
    But if they don't do it in ways that matter, ie mainstream media as opposed to mostly online-only campaigns, it'll fall on deaf ears, it 'll only be seen by people who know of their games already, and it may just alienate some of them too... Thus, the do need to spend a lot.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Al3xand3r said:
    oldschool said: I don't know that they have to spend insane amounts of money. My point is about bringing all ... [more]
    It definitely needs mainstream and that means television during programmes the target market watches.  True, there is a backfire risk that the people who do buy their games now might be turned off by it, but as long as the quality of the games is still high, the risk is low.
    Terra1909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Terra1909

Aren't a big chunk of their games already under the Shin Megami Tensei label? Also, I don't think the Chibi/cartoon art style is a good one for attracting a mainstream western audience. Sure, anime is popular, but most huge games have a super masculine art style like Gears. Don't forget that Final Fantasy didn't become ginormous without the huge and expensive marketing campaign that FF7 got. Atlus's games, while generally awesome, also aren't revolutionary in the way FF7 was (in terms of looks and storytelling, not game mechanics). That game was a landmark--the future realized in many ways, while Atlus's games always feel like throwbacks (not that that's bad).

I feel like Atlus is fine being a niche publisher. This way they keep marketing costs down so they don't end up going broke pushing a bomb.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PureRok
    Meltbrain said:
    Axersia said: To be perfectly honest, I already get annoyed by all these people that would normally never play a ... [more]
    I got the same vibe from that post, and concur.
    Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Axersia

Hey, I know it's elitist, but at least I'm being honest about it.

I can't imagine none of you guys have felt the same way about something at some point in your lives.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By oldschool
    Axersia said:
    Hey, I know it's elitist, but at least I'm being honest about it.I can't imagine none of you guys have ... [more]
    I am generally against elitist attitudes, but I didn't really get a strong vibe on that.  You are right though, there will always be something in our lives we feel somewhat superior about.  Ego is not a dirty word.

It is like what I said about the B52s.  I bet the metal heads would be pissed off if all of a sudden there favourite metal band became the darling of the MySpace set.  It is normal to take "ownership" of something that you believe is not mainstream.  Human nature. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.