So, I'm really liking this game. It is a metroidvania game, in case there was any doubt, and you play either as a humanoid "sprite" that does normal platforming, in addition to climbing walls, or a bouncing ball that can jump higher and swing with a tether but is harder to control. After a while you get the ability to switch between the two at will.
Some random thoughts:
- Love the look of the game, lots of black silhouettes interspersed with photo-realistic colorful plants that subtly sway as if there's wind. Looks fantastic on the Vita's screen.
- The closeups of the characters aren't so hot though.
- There's a bit of dialog, and it's kinda rough. I gather this is the creators first attempt at it, and unfortunately it shows.
- Not sure where the plot is going, or how the chapters connect to each other.
- The map seems huge, filling out as you explore. The first two chapters are a bit limited in scope, but the third one leaves you free to go where you want.
- The controls are very responsive/touchy. Feels great when you're able to blaze through the environments using fancy maneuvers, but there are moments of frustration where you die because the character keeps doing far more than what you intended.
- It's very handheld friendly, segmented into one screen rooms. You can always just play a room or two, then put the Vita in sleep mode and feel you've made some progress.
- Regardless of the caveats, the game is a lot of fun, and filling out that map is a compelling hook.
Go buy it people!