Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Koei Tecmo

Company »

Tecmo was a Japanese video game company founded in 1967 and merged with KOEI in 2009 to form Tecmo Koei. In addition to being one of few Japanese companies to have made large sales in the West, they were known for several franchises, including Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, Fatal Frame, and Tecmo Bowl. They renamed themselves Koei Tecmo on July 1st, 2014.

Tecmo Koei buy Gust, plan to make Atelier social game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael
    http://andriasang.com/comz8b/tecmo_koei_gust/ 

Koei Tecmo Holdings announced today that it will be making Atelier series developer Gust into a subsidiary. 

Koei Tecmo Holdings will be acquiring all 495 shares of Gust stock from current 100% shareholder Keiken Holdings, making the small independent publisher into a wholly owned subsidiary. 

The involved parties signed a deal for the stock purchase earlier today. The transfer is planned for the middle of this month. The purchase price for the stock will be 22 million yen.

http://andriasang.com/comz8f/atelier_social/

In a brief report on Tecmo Koei's buyout of Gust, Nikkei writes that the publisher plans on turning Gust's Atelier series into a social game. 

Atelier has most recently appeared on the PlayStation 3 through the Arland subseries, which includes games like Atelier Meruru, Atelier Totori and Atelier Rorona. The games combine adventure, RPG and item synthesis elements. 

For fans worried that the Atelier series as we know it may be coming to an end, it should be noted that Nikkei's report did not say that the series will be exclusively social from here on out. It's possible (and likely given recent sales) that Tecmo Koei is planning social developments in addition to standard games.

Well, this is... unexpected. I never thought we'd see cutesy JRPGs and social games with the Tecmo label.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

Atiler Warriors!!!!!

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

That is unexpected. Are Gust game any good? I've been wanting to play one for a while but can't find any.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kingzetta
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

That is unexpected. Are Gust game any good? I've been wanting to play one for a while but can't find any.

you can't find any? they do make a lot of games.
    Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

What the hell does this mean? That the series will become Persona 4? Or a dating sim? Or a Facebook game?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

@Icemael said:

Well, this is... unexpected. I never thought we'd see cutesy JRPGs and social games with the Tecmo label.

Actually, Koei's already done this. They created a social game called Nobunyaga no Yabou, which is basically a social game version of Nobunaga's Ambition, but all of the officers are cute anthropomorphic cats.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@kingzetta said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Granted I do live in a small isolated town with few stores to purchase games.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @Video_Game_King said:

What the hell does this mean? That the series will become Persona 4? Or a dating sim? Or a Facebook game?

social gameing means facebook games
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By beforet

A social game is one of those Japanese cell-phone games students play on the trains, right?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kingzetta
    @Beforet said:

A social game is one of those Japanese cell-phone games students play on the trains, right?

either that or a facebook game
    beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By beforet

@kingzetta: Well, I'm thinking within the context. I'm not sure how popular facebook is in Japan.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@kingzetta:

Well, shit. I'd be pissed, but I've never played an Altair's Iris game.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By endaround

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@kingzetta said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Granted I do live in a small isolated town with few stores to purchase games.

You basically have 3 choices for new. NISA's own website, Gamestop or Amazon. And Amazon doesn't always keep them around long. Individual Gamestops don't always get copies.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Chop
    @ImmortalSaiyan said:

Fuck no. Stay away from Gust...unless you're a big fan of underage naked cartoon pussy.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#15  Edited By Hailinel

@Chop said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Fuck no. Stay away from Gust...unless you're a big fan of underage naked cartoon pussy.

Uh...way to stereotype?

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SuperWristBands

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

They make some cool niche JRPGs. Atelier Iris 2 on the PS2 is one of my favourite JRPGs. Some shit can be said about the Ar Tonelico games too but I had a good time with the first one. Not so much the third...

I've been meaning to get Hyperdimension Neptunia for awhile too. Everywhere I looked had it for $60-$100 :(

Also, I really hope this doesn't turn into GUST being shut down. The Tales studio was shut down recently, right? If GUST goes I'll have to play Final Fantasy or something for a JRPG fix.

EDIT: Aww shiiiit. I just checked out NIS's store and they have some mother effing copies of Hyperdimension Neptunia! $30! Brand new! Maybe because the sequel is coming out, they are printing more? That shit is $65 minimum on amazon right now. Some prices as high as $180 but that is effing crazy. Crazy people would pay that.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Vorbis

@Chop said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Fuck no. Stay away from Gust...unless you're a big fan of underage naked cartoon pussy.

They are Rated T for Teen, not quite sure what games you have been playing.

SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Vorbis said:

@Chop said:

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

They are Rated T for Teen, not quite sure what games you have been playing.

Ar Tonelico 3 is rated M and is, I believe, the second most recent release by GUST (I'm probably wrong about that, BUT it was recent). It is also one of those games that knows who it is selling to and pulls no punches...

The main point in the battle system is to strip your female companion to make her stronger. Also, each character who doesn't normally strip, strips down to their undies after performing a special attack. Dudes too, not just the ladies.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Vorbis

@SuperWristBands: My mistake, I wasn't aware Ar Tonelico was made by Gust and was talking about the Atelier series. Even so I highly doubt there is any "naked underage pussy" even as an M rated game.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#20  Edited By Icemael
    @SuperWristBands said:

Also, I really hope this doesn't turn into GUST being shut down. The Tales studio was shut down recently, right?

No. It was just absorbed by Namco (it was previously a subsidiary).
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SuperWristBands

@Vorbis said:

@SuperWristBands: My mistake, I wasn't aware Ar Tonelico was made by Gust and was talking about the Atelier series. Even so I highly doubt there is any "naked underage pussy" even as an M rated game.

Nah, you are totally right. It's a giant bomb "thing" to write "naked cartoon pussy". I doubt he meant it literally. If he did, then, yeah, he is wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.