The Metal Gear Madness

Posted by Lies (3867 posts) -

So the Kojima countdown clock reached it's conclusion to reveal.... another countdown clock.

Nothing too terribly surprising there, especially since people digging around in the source code had already revealed that the next stage was another timer. What bothers me is people tearing every frame of the new timer apart, attempting to decipher some mysterious clues. At the very latest, the game will be revealed at E3, only a few short weeks away. And even when it is revealed, we won't have our hands on it for at least a year.

So my question is this: What fuels the hysteria that leads people to obsess over such things? The grand secret will be out soon anyways, and you know that Kojima isn't going to reveal the big announcement before the timer ends, so why bother? Especially considering Kojima's reputation for trickery, the whole set of clues might just be red herrings with no relation to the announcement.

So why the bother? Is Kojima Productions that good? Or are we as a group just incredibly impatient and unable to wait for the proper time of an announcement? I understand the point of a teaser is to generate interest in a product reveal, I'm mostly just curious as to why they work, and why this particular one seems to be working so well.

I just don't get it.
#1 Posted by Lies (3867 posts) -

So the Kojima countdown clock reached it's conclusion to reveal.... another countdown clock.

Nothing too terribly surprising there, especially since people digging around in the source code had already revealed that the next stage was another timer. What bothers me is people tearing every frame of the new timer apart, attempting to decipher some mysterious clues. At the very latest, the game will be revealed at E3, only a few short weeks away. And even when it is revealed, we won't have our hands on it for at least a year.

So my question is this: What fuels the hysteria that leads people to obsess over such things? The grand secret will be out soon anyways, and you know that Kojima isn't going to reveal the big announcement before the timer ends, so why bother? Especially considering Kojima's reputation for trickery, the whole set of clues might just be red herrings with no relation to the announcement.

So why the bother? Is Kojima Productions that good? Or are we as a group just incredibly impatient and unable to wait for the proper time of an announcement? I understand the point of a teaser is to generate interest in a product reveal, I'm mostly just curious as to why they work, and why this particular one seems to be working so well.

I just don't get it.
#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (16012 posts) -

The teaser is doing what it set out to do. Impatience.

#3 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

The desire of most internet-goers to be among the first "in the know."

#4 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I find it all amusing.

#5 Posted by LiquidPrince (16012 posts) -
Claude said:
I find it all amusing.
I know right =)
#6 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Stop participating in the countdown clock craze, Lies.

#7 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

They should release an audio DVD that just has snake talking to people. I would pay 30 dollars for that and I would listen to it at every waking moment.

#8 Posted by Jensonb (1758 posts) -

A-doy? It's because...

I want me a new Metal Gear goddammit.

#9 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Well, you see, the lightning bolt in the back symbolizes Earth, and then with Earth we produce Metal, and Metals make Gears and Gears are Solid, so.....they are making a new Metal Gear Solid GAME!!!!

#10 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

You know, it's either Metal Gear Solid 5 starring Raiden, or they really like jerking their fans around.

#11 Edited by Joseppie (733 posts) -
Diamond said:
You know, it's either Metal Gear Solid 5 starring Raiden, or they really like jerking their fans around.
I think their past record speaks to that. A BIG yes.
#12 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Basically, they have nothing better to do with their time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.