Konami Goes HD Collection Crazy, Announces MGS, Zone of the Enders, Silent Hill Collections

Posted by Alex (2401 posts) -

Though Konami's pre-recorded pre-E3 press conference was a bit of a letdown in terms of both big, new game announcements and the kind of Napoleon Dynamite-esque chicanery we've come to expect from them--pre-recording it might have, in fact, been specifically designed to counteract any unwanted stupidity--the publisher did have quite a showing when it came to HD collections of their own classic titles.

Over the course of the hour-long event, Konami announced individual HD Collections for the Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, and Silent Hill franchises, all of which will be released between 2011 and 2012.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which is schedule for release this November, contains newly HD remastered versions of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker--sadly, no original Metal Gear Solid, for as-yet-unknown reasons.

These are not emulated versions of the games, but rather updated versions specifically designed for the Xbox 360 and PS3. These versions will include all the usual bells and whistles, like upgraded audio, redrawn art, an updated UI, right analog/force feedback support, new trophies/achivements, and a new piece of tech Hideo Kojima has labeled "transfarring."

The oddly-named technology is designed to let players transfer save data between their PlayStation 3 and PSP systems, with the idea being that you will be able to simply play your game seamlessly at home, and on the go.

Next up is the Zone of the Enders HD Collection, which combines both Zone of the Enders and Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Though nothing was specifically shown of this collection in action, Kojima explained that it would have the same transfarring tech as the MGS collection, and would be released in 2012.

Lastly, buried within the Silent Hill: Downpour section of the conference was a brief mention of the Silent Hill Collection, which puts remastered versions of Silent Hill 2 and 3 together into one package. No details of any kind were given beyond the list of games and their HD capabilities, so hopefully we'll get more info on that come E3.

#1 Posted by Alex (2401 posts) -

Though Konami's pre-recorded pre-E3 press conference was a bit of a letdown in terms of both big, new game announcements and the kind of Napoleon Dynamite-esque chicanery we've come to expect from them--pre-recording it might have, in fact, been specifically designed to counteract any unwanted stupidity--the publisher did have quite a showing when it came to HD collections of their own classic titles.

Over the course of the hour-long event, Konami announced individual HD Collections for the Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders, and Silent Hill franchises, all of which will be released between 2011 and 2012.

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, which is schedule for release this November, contains newly HD remastered versions of Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, and Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker--sadly, no original Metal Gear Solid, for as-yet-unknown reasons.

These are not emulated versions of the games, but rather updated versions specifically designed for the Xbox 360 and PS3. These versions will include all the usual bells and whistles, like upgraded audio, redrawn art, an updated UI, right analog/force feedback support, new trophies/achivements, and a new piece of tech Hideo Kojima has labeled "transfarring."

The oddly-named technology is designed to let players transfer save data between their PlayStation 3 and PSP systems, with the idea being that you will be able to simply play your game seamlessly at home, and on the go.

Next up is the Zone of the Enders HD Collection, which combines both Zone of the Enders and Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. Though nothing was specifically shown of this collection in action, Kojima explained that it would have the same transfarring tech as the MGS collection, and would be released in 2012.

Lastly, buried within the Silent Hill: Downpour section of the conference was a brief mention of the Silent Hill Collection, which puts remastered versions of Silent Hill 2 and 3 together into one package. No details of any kind were given beyond the list of games and their HD capabilities, so hopefully we'll get more info on that come E3.

#2 Posted by CoruptAI125 (77 posts) -

This is great. METAL GEAR!!!

#3 Posted by niamahai (1394 posts) -

YAYZ

#4 Posted by drag (1206 posts) -

SH2 in HD is a pretty awesome announce ... if only because more people might play it. 

#5 Posted by clank543 (99 posts) -

Cool!  I've wanted to play Peace Walker but couldn't since I don't have a psp!  Good that it's coming to 360, too.  Honestly, third party exclusives just don't make any sense anymore.
#6 Posted by LiquidPenguins (181 posts) -

MGS3 on the 360 is probably the best thing I could have hoped for. That's my favorite game.

#7 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

But...They more or less built Shadow Moses for MGSIV...I want MGS1 HD :(

#8 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6403 posts) -

That's so weird. I have the first MGS but none of the rest, and I have none of the Silent Hills so these two releases will be an easy decision to run out and get.

#9 Posted by Sinful (211 posts) -

Best News Eva!

#10 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3119 posts) -

Silent Hill 3 in HD will be awesome, because that game is already gorgeous.  Will be kind of weird to play it without Silent Hill 1 there, though.

#11 Posted by Kesselrun (67 posts) -

It really is a bummer that the first MGS isn't included. I somehow managed to go without playing any of the Metal Gear games after the NES era, and it would have been nice to scoop them all up (minus 4 of course) in HD in one go.

#12 Posted by Punk1984 (549 posts) -

Here I was waiting for the PSP download version of Peace Walker to go on super sale...oh well

#13 Posted by cubi (2 posts) -

if you check this page: http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2011/ you can see, that peace walker is standalone and *not* in the hd collection http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2011/jp/imgs/lineup_mgspw.jpg http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2011/jp/imgs/lineup_mgs.jpg

#14 Posted by laserbolts (5370 posts) -
This is amazing!
#15 Posted by bucky (116 posts) -

METAL GEAR?!?!!?!?!

#16 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5818 posts) -

THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS

#17 Posted by Brockly46 (645 posts) -

Metal Gear for 360 finally

#18 Posted by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

Wait...MGS on 360? I'm in.

#19 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Curious how the Metal Gear collection will work on 360 as the PS2 games made fairly significant use of the pressure sensitive face buttons. The 360 controller doesn't have them. Although if the controls are reworked to be more like MGS4 that may not be an issue.

Think the ZOE announcement is great news though. Hope it leads into something else.

#20 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1836 posts) -

I really wish the Silent Hill collection had the first one in it, but I will buy this regardless.

#21 Edited by RockAction (373 posts) -

I've been hoping to play the metal gear games in HD 
really wish they'd included MGS1 though, did they state why? it was updated for gamecube it wouldn't be hard; unless they're planning something bigger with it but i doubt it  

still very happy to have MGS in HD

#22 Posted by Legend (2664 posts) -

Transfarring.. LMAO

#23 Posted by Jeffsekai (7054 posts) -

IS ZONE OF THE ENDERS GOOD 

#24 Posted by Moonshadow101 (575 posts) -

Transffffffffffffffffffffffffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring.

#25 Posted by QKT (251 posts) -

YEAH! FINALLY, I GET TO FINISH SNAKE EATER! 

mgs1 is available on psn, so i guess its bad luck for the xboxers out there.

#26 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

Fuck YES. Zone of the ENDERS! 

Now is the time for Zone of the Enders 3.

#27 Posted by oscar (113 posts) -

So much Silent Hill stuff coming out lately... so freaking awesome!

#28 Posted by buhssuht (435 posts) -

metal gear and zone of ender with achievement/trophy? oh my 

#29 Posted by RXSideEffect (31 posts) -

Nice. ZOE 1 with the MGS2 demo was the first ps2 game I bought; it will be nice to play all of these on my 360....maybe a ZOE3 in the works?

#30 Posted by Poki3 (529 posts) -

ZOE Collection. Done. Here. Take my money.

#31 Posted by ValiantGoat (378 posts) -

How am I supposed to fit 3 MGS games in this November with all the new releases? I need to clone myself twice, two of me to play games and one of me to work.

#32 Posted by HubrisRanger (488 posts) -

Silent Hill Collection will be a first-day purchase for me, Silent Hill 2 is one of the best games ever made and 3 ain't half-bad either. 

#33 Posted by GravityProof (282 posts) -

I was JUST thinking about buying a ps2 to play through MGS3 again. SO stoked.

#34 Posted by LibraryDues (335 posts) -

Hopefully the titles on the box are just artistic license and these are actually Substance and Subsistence, not Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater.

#35 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Zoe is awesome 

dont forget ps3 has tranfarring

#36 Posted by xync4 (171 posts) -

absolutely nothing new 
great job! 
when the next generation image format comes out they can crank them all out once again!

#37 Posted by AmericanNinja (157 posts) -

boooo MGS collection should be Ps3 exclusive

#38 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -
#39 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

Never got to play ZoE2. A friend let me borrow it, but it was so damn scratched up I couldn't even get past the first part. So.... this is fantastic.

#40 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4899 posts) -

I like the MGS collection, but others... whatever. 

They're already making MGS3 on 3DS, too right? 

#41 Posted by cheddartyme (132 posts) -

the guys at konami are transfarring from SD to HD

#42 Edited by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

Great news! Can't wait for zone of the enders.

#43 Posted by mracoon (4979 posts) -

Ha, I print screened those images from the conference stream as there wasn't anything else to go by but glad to see Alex making use of them.

#44 Posted by billyblaze (60 posts) -

The oddly-named technology

That was beautifully diplomatic of you.
#45 Posted by XenoNick (1483 posts) -

Sure these are not new games but this is still an awesome idea.

#46 Posted by clumsyninja1 (816 posts) -

TRANSFERING TRANSFERING TRANSFERING!!!!!!

#47 Posted by crusader8463 (14429 posts) -

Looking forward to the Zone of Enders stuff if it means we might one day see a ZoE 3, but nothing else interested me. If the Metal Gear thing had all of them I might have picked that up since MG was one of those series I never got into at the time, but since it's missing the first one I will pass.

#48 Posted by Hector (3380 posts) -
MGS Peace Walker is all I want.
#49 Posted by KuribosShoe (640 posts) -
@AmericanNinja said:
boooo MGS collection should be Ps3 exclusive
why
#50 Posted by halibut (31 posts) -

ZOE was okay, but ZOE2 was fucking amazing. Beautiful and fun to play. It appears that I will be buying all of the HD releases.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.