6 months later, is this game still worth 50 dollars?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by tankintheair315 (351 posts) -

Hey guys, so the complete edition went up on steam recently and it looks intresting and all, but is it still worth the 45 or whatever steam is asking for? I know it was supposed to be amazing when it came out, but I heard negative opinions as well. So does it live up to the hype?

#2 Posted by Swoxx (3006 posts) -

Game play wise it gets quite repetitive, but the animations are really impressive and worth seeing. The story is fairly decent. I'd say i'ts worth it.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Even though I have yet to play it (there are about a billion other games vying for my attention), it does come with a film reel and a decent manual. So yes. It probably is worth it.

#4 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Yes.

#5 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2169 posts) -

Yes.

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

Yes.

#7 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

Yes, and you can probably get it cheaper than that anyway.

#8 Edited by 9cupsoftea (654 posts) -

I'm gonna say no. I wasn't impressed with the story. It's stylish, but poorly written and felt like it was just going through the motions for me.

#9 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

wait... 6 months? holy shit.

#10 Posted by SamStrife (1286 posts) -

Sorry to be a combo breaker here gyus but no, not at all.

L.A Noire left such a sour taste in my mouth that I regretted wasting my time and money on it. It really isn't that special of a game and whilst I'm not going to tell you not to play it, I'd say you're better off getting it for a third of that price on a console if you have one to play it on. The last thing I wanted to do when I finished that game was to play any more missions so spending the full whack for all the DLC seems silly because the DLC just isn't worth playing in my opinion.

If you you want to play the game, get it on the cheap.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

I got it from gamefly even and only spent like 4 hours in it; it was super boring. also the controls were terrible

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

L.A. Noire is not worth more than 30$ IMO. Bought it day 1 for the PS3 like a fucking idiot.

#13 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

It wasn't worth it when it first released.

#14 Posted by Dtat (1627 posts) -

I say wait for another price drop.

#15 Posted by Jimbo (9938 posts) -

It wasn't worth $50 6 months ago.

#16 Posted by kermoosh (911 posts) -

it has a certain type of gameplay that some people like, and others dont. look up a gameplay video and decide for yourself

#17 Posted by Village_Guy (2658 posts) -

No, I was impressed with the game when it came out, but the game isn't that good at all.

It have a mediocre story, characters and gameplay. And except for a few times you can always see how the characters you talk to, goes from their talking animation to their lying or telling the truth-animations.

Wasn't worth full price at release and isn't worth 50 bucks now.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11458 posts) -

It gives a fantastic first impression because the facial animation is second to none. But, if you don't get into the story, then you start to see how repetitive the actual gameplay is.

I was loving the game up until the last couple hours when I lost interest in where the story was going. But if you like Noire-y detective-y stuff, then you should like it. It's fairly long too, especially with the DLC.

#19 Posted by DeF (4958 posts) -

since you get all the DLC with it - of course!

#20 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

The game was good until the end. I basically watched a let's play of it, and the plot just gradually became more and more stupid as the story went on.

To confirm that I wasn't just being a noob and not giving it a fair chance, whenever I hear it come up in conversation, people basically outright say that the end was total horseshit, but the rest of the game was decent.

#21 Posted by SSully (4278 posts) -

I would say it is worth it if you are sure you will enjoy the gameplay. I got it new on release for 60 bucks. 2/3s of the game is great, but once you hit that last section it becomes a little tedious and the ending is horrible. So while I enjoyed it and thought I got my moneys worth, many people would argue it isn't worth full price.

#22 Posted by BleedingStarX (283 posts) -

Gameplay is boring, graphics are terrible (aside from the facial stuff) and the driving is poor. I would honestly stay clear

#23 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

The first half is good. Second half was tedious. Also they story was a big turn off toward the end

#24 Posted by RE_Player1 (7574 posts) -

No. Not saying it is a bad game but just wait for the Steam sale.

#25 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@Aus_azn said:

The game was good until the end. I basically watched a let's play of it, and the plot just gradually became more and more stupid as the story went on.

To confirm that I wasn't just being a noob and not giving it a fair chance, whenever I hear it come up in conversation, people basically outright say that the end was total horseshit, but the rest of the game was decent.

I had no problems with the end. Seemed pretty typical for the setting.

#26 Posted by imsh_pl (3298 posts) -

I'd give it a rental.

#27 Posted by bybeach (4979 posts) -

i just debated it. the real conflict was PC vs PS3, plus the pc had all the dlc plus GTA3. I was sorely tempted for $44.99(not 50.00 in the title btw) on steam till monday. The answer is no, because I already bought the season pass, though I was hoping I did not. Dling now, it's going to take forever.

As for the game, some ppl. didn't like it.

I did.

#28 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Yup.

#29 Posted by MocBucket62 (1262 posts) -

I'd say wait for a price drop as well. The game definitely has some revolutionary technology behind it and personally I feel the story and writing is strong for the most part, but the gameplay does get repetitive at times, especially those side missions.

#30 Posted by dudeglove (8165 posts) -

@tankintheair315: LA Noire is a matter of style over substance. The face capture stuff is very impressive. Too bad about everything else, which ends up as a steaming pile of shit. It's a linear game in a sandbox that offers nothing rewarding, so there's no point in deviating from the golden path (not even the so-called "side missions" which are just arbitrary shootouts or chases on foot). Although a couple of supporting characters are likeable, the writing becomes horrendous from the Homicide Cases onwards and the final two chapters or so make no goddamn sense whatsoever. I really wanted to like this game, and I did at the start. But then halfway through I realized it was all just so dumb, and I was actually getting angry at myself for playing it (something that's never happened before), yet soldiered on with it because otherwise it would be a waste of money on my part. Face stuff aside, it is a really really bad game.

I resolved to looking at an FAQ for the interrogation crap towards the end of the game because I was becoming so fed up with the repetition and bad writing. Think Assassin's Creed 1, but with no throat stabbing or numerous horse rides - or actual fun.

#31 Posted by A_Dog (744 posts) -

I'd not bother yet. It'll be pretty cheap during the Steam Christmas sale.

#32 Posted by DonPixel (2605 posts) -

Noup I say, but some other would say otherwise.. what a dilemma!

#33 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

I would value that game at around 30$ myself, I look back on it as pretty mediocre once I got past the visuals.

#34 Posted by AlisterCat (5712 posts) -

I think it is an amazing game and the PC version should get over some of the hardware limitations.

#35 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

I got it for 40$ still shrinkwraped with the pre-order bonuses and got a free DLC code from someone on GB when the PSN was down. I have not played it once but my friend has and I told him once he beats it. im selling it :D

#36 Posted by Knetic2341 (243 posts) -
#37 Posted by DAFTPUNK (1213 posts) -

yes!

#38 Posted by Bam_D_Leprechaun (795 posts) -

got it when it was 40$ at Best Buy, not the best game i ever bought, but not the worst (thanks Turok 3)

It was okay, story was a bit dull, investigation was tedious, and i haven't finished it because i dread playing it, how it got amazing scores is beyond me (sure it had amazing facial animation) but that's it

pass

#39 Posted by Karmum (11519 posts) -

DLC included? Yeah, perhaps. I wouldn't mind the $60 back I paid for it though. I haven't touched it since July when the last DLC was released, and that was pretty boring. Visually and animation wise it was great, but something with that gameplay...

That's what I get for jumping into almost any game that is backed or developed by Rockstar.

#40 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

@DeF said:

since you get all the DLC with it - of course!

Really? Of course it's worth 50!

#41 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Waiting for the PC version myself.

#42 Posted by CharleyTony (924 posts) -

Once the beauty of the facial animation wears of, the games got a lot less interesting for me. I haven't finished it yet, but one thing is for sure, I would have been bummed out if I paid 60$+taxes (which amounts to about 70$ in Canada) for this game.

30$ for the normal games would be okay, 50$ for the game + all dlc imo is a gamble. Just don't expect a open, living world like a GTA game. The game forks at a couple of occasions but the game is still linear and will drag you along even if you don't perform well.

[I got it by trading Fallout New Vegas to another gamer. I got Fallout New Vegas from Play-Asia for around 24$]

#43 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -

The story is an incoherent mess and has a terrible ending, the game mechanics are mediocre, and the open world serves no purpose beyond padding out the game. So no.

#44 Posted by Sanity (1950 posts) -

Just thought i would add its 20 bucks from amazon this week, just ordered a copy myself.

#45 Edited by NickL (2247 posts) -

Edit: ^ what he said

#46 Posted by DjCmeP (1148 posts) -

I didn't pay 50 for it when it was new so..no?

It's a pretty entertaining game, I say go for it if you can get it for less than 50.

#47 Posted by bennyboy (329 posts) -

It wasn't worth anywhere near 50 bucks when it came out so no.

#48 Posted by WilltheMagicAsian (1547 posts) -

@bennyboy: Great necro.

#49 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

It was on my GOTY 2011 list, so yes.

#50 Posted by CounterShock (420 posts) -

Yes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.