Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

disable skip failed action sequences

Xsheps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Xsheps

thankfully i started playing around with the menu options soon after installing this game, because i noticed that they set as the default option to skip failed action sequences after several failed attempts.   i don't know if it automatically skips failed sequences after several attempts or if it prompts to skip like in red dead redemption (i think), but either way it seems like it should be disabled.   part of the joy of any game its challenge -- one of the reasons i loved GTA IV so much is that it took me like a bazillion times to beat some of the missions, but makes it all the more rewarding.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat
    Challenge really isn't the point of most games anymore, and that's how it should be. If it wasn't on by default a lot of people might not know it's even there. At least if it's on, and it asks you, you can decline and then turn it off.
    matrix_hiei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By matrix_hiei

yeah, it will just ask you if you want to skip it. nothing wrong with giving the player a choice imo.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By neoepoch

Challenge is fine, but it isn't fun if challenge is made by tedium and fighting with controls or mechanics. That is artificial challenge that is made by bad game mechanics and design. Infinite respawns and bad cover mechanics are just some examples of challenge that isn't fun, just tiring.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Daveyo520

It does not automatically skip, you need to accept it.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By grilledcheez

I actually ran into a situation that would have been game breaking if the option to skip had not come up (glitch during a pursuit)...LUCKILY it was there.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Devil240Z

I don't like games to be challenging, I like them to be fun. Sometimes challenge is fun but usually it makes me say fuck alot. 

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BigLemon

I didn't find any of the action sequences particularly challenging anyway...

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By mfpantst

I'm cool with that.  I haven't had that come up yet but have had sequences I wished I could skip if I hadn't gotten through them over the next 2-4 tries.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By CenturionCajun

While they present you with an open world and action sequences the option to skip both very obviously shows that Team Bondi intended the investigation and interrogation to be the focus of the game. In some ways this is a shame because they recreated 1947 Los Angeles in loving detail. The driving and shooting are also an incredibe improvement over Grand Theft Auto.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By SteamPunkJin

There are lots of games to play if you want a reflex challenge, LA Noire is not one of them. Both the shooting and driving are fairly lackluster, but they are 100% absolutely not the focal of the game, and mostly optional. I think it's good they added this for more casual players or people who just want to absorb the story and no shame in playing that way, I however play with all that crap turned off.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @xsheps said:

thankfully i started playing around with the menu options soon after installing this game, because i noticed that they set as the default option to skip failed action sequences after several failed attempts.   i don't know if it automatically skips failed sequences after several attempts or if it prompts to skip like in red dead redemption (i think), but either way it seems like it should be disabled.   part of the joy of any game its challenge -- one of the reasons i loved GTA IV so much is that it took me like a bazillion times to beat some of the missions, but makes it all the more rewarding.

Just so you know, GTA IV would ratchet down the difficulty after a certain number of failed attempts. I hope that didn't ruin your day.  :P
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Getz
    @AlisterCat said:
    Challenge really isn't the point of most games anymore
    Challenge is always the point of games; by their very definition.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

The game is more experience than challenge. Either way if you can't beat the action sequences in this game, you clearly don't play games that much, in which case the option to skip is great.  They're very easy for anyone who has played any GTA game, Red Dead, hell... any third person shooter or driving game. 

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#15  Edited By alistercat
    @Getz said:
    @AlisterCat said:
    Challenge really isn't the point of most games anymore
    Challenge is always the point of games; by their very definition.
    Maybe traditionally, but videogames are not games in the same sense. As Jeff said, they are now thrill rides.
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bybeach
    @Daveyo520 said:

As long as this is the case.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Daveyo520 said:
    I'm disappointed that you know that.

Failure!

(I kid)
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Daveyo520
    @JJWeatherman: It has never happened to me. I know because of this.
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ClaritySam

I didn't realise this option was there but I think it's a great idea.  I know plenty of people who are interested in LA Noire who aren't really gamers, so this will be good for them.  In the early years videogames were traditionally tough, probably to add more longevity in the days of low storage and memory.  With the amount of effort and money that goes into a modern AAA title though, it makes sense for developers to want everyone who buys the game to see most of it, rather than getting stuck on a gunfight/ car chase because they don't have years of gta experience.  I guess what I'm saying is that "content tourists" have just as much of a right to enjoy this hobby as we have :-D

Edit :  After just getting side swiped by cars coming out of nowhere and failing a tail mission five times, I'm extra glad it's in there!
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Sooperspy

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.