Has Fallout ruined your ability to play through games with old music?

• 59 results
#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
#2 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I can never take this game seriously ever again.

#3 Posted by jking47 (1248 posts) -

What? how? Maybe its cause I would download new radio mods for fallout when I got bored of the old ones...

#4 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (659 posts) -

No...without Fallout 3 or New Vegas, I would have never heard any of the great songs that Bethesda utilized in the games via GNR (F3) and Mojave Radio/Radio New Vegas (F:NV). I loved how the songs fit each game.

#5 Posted by hinderk (690 posts) -

No. I downloaded a couple radio station mods so hearing the same song over and over again wasn't a problem for me.

#6 Posted by metalsnakezero (2342 posts) -

I grow up with a mother who listens to old musics from the past so I'm really in to it when I hear them anywhere, including in games.

#7 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

Never. I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies and love the old soundtracks. I could listen to it over and over and over... to dreams.

#8 Posted by PerryVandell (2109 posts) -

I will admit that I now associate most of the Ink Spots songs with Fallout 3 as that's where I first heard them, but I wouldn't say it's "ruined". I just always associate the song with mutated heads exploding in slow motion. Not a bad image at all.

#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I'm not saying it is bad, it's great music.

BUT I NEVER WANT TO HEAR IT AGAIN.

EVER.

#10 Posted by Blair (2531 posts) -
@shadowknight508 said:
No...without Fallout 3 or New Vegas, I would have never heard any of the great songs that Bethesda utilized in the games via GNR (F3) and Mojave Radio/Radio New Vegas (F:NV). I loved how the songs fit each game.
#11 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

The music fits the time period so no.

#12 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

EVER.

Yeah, fuck me hard.

#13 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (714 posts) -

If anything, it's necessary for L.A. Noire a hell of a lot more than it was for Fallout considering how inappropriate a lot of it felt during the later stages of Fallout and in the wasteland. 

#14 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

No, I fucking love games with music from this era. One of the things I liked most about Fallout.

#15 Posted by rjayb89 (7728 posts) -

I never listen to the music in the Fallout games except that one Butcher Pete one because its existence in that time period bewilders me.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

No.

#17 Posted by Zealousadonis (132 posts) -

I wouldn't say it ruins it, but whenever I hear the songs outside of FO3 or New Vegas I automatically think of the games. It's like a mental link.

#18 Posted by Milkman (17316 posts) -

I don't think I really get the question. You're saying that because you heard the same music over and over in Fallout, you can't listen to it anymore?

For the record, the music in L.A. Noire is one of my favorite parts of the game. It's perfect.
#19 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

No... In fact it has made me absolutely love older music even more.

#20 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Milkman said:
I don't think I really get the question. You're saying that because you heard the same music over and over in Fallout, you can't listen to it anymore?

For the record, the music in L.A. Noire is one of my favorite parts of the game. It's perfect.
I'm saying for that the few hundred hours I invested in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas the radio was never not on.

That is what I am saying.

What I am saying is that I wrote the third poll answer from memory having heard only 3 seconds of the opening.

I haven't played Fallout 3 in two years.
#21 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

I've made it through Bioshock, Bioshock 2, Mad Men (TV), Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, and there's no way I could ever be burnt out. Taking a Contemporary American History class in the fall (1950s-1980s) just to unravel that older era. But I'm obsessed.

#22 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -
@Resident4t said:
No... In fact it has made me absolutely love older music even more.
I used to hate older music a lot, but after flipping the radio stations on while running around in F3 caused it to grow on me pretty fast.
#23 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

I've always loved older music so what was in Fallout 3 wasn't an issue for me.

I really, really like L.A. Noire's soundtrack because a lot of what you hear in game is original stuff composed for the game, rather than just licensed tunes. I actually bought the OST on Amazon this morning. It's damn good.
#24 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1771 posts) -

Nope, and I listened to the radio throughout most my 120 hours of Fallout 3.

#25 Posted by Getz (3154 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:
@Milkman said:

I'm saying for that the few hundred hours I invested in both Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas the radio was never not on.

What I am saying is that I wrote the third poll answer from memory having heard only 3 seconds of the opening.

I haven't played Fallout 3 in two years.
Sorta like how I haven't played a pokemon game since silver but I can still hum the battle theme, intro music, and gym leader themes from memory. Once I started hearing the same songs over and over I stopped listening to the radio in Fallout so I was spared the isanity.
#26 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I have found that I am drawn to any media that features Bobby Darin's Beyond The Sea, probably my favourite song ever; even Finding Nemo benefited from it and that had the shittest version ever recorded by that Robbie Williams cunt.

#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4216 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: You can never get tired of this song.

#28 Posted by Silverbrand (101 posts) -

I have a nice collection of 40s and 50s music on my ipod. In fact, the 40s is generally my favorite era of music anyway, so...no. Not even a little. Love it in anything.

#29 Posted by Daveyo520 (6997 posts) -

I did get reminded of Fallout but it is not ruined. I still like the stuff and it fits.

#30 Posted by NickLott (793 posts) -

It isn't that I'm tired of old music, it's just that Fallout is a very long game and relatively few songs that are heard over and over again. A nice remedy is someone made a mod for the PC version that will add a ton of other period pieces to the rotation that fit in nicely. 

#31 Edited by BBQBram (2291 posts) -

Nah, the oldies are great. Play the game while listening to trip-hop for absurdity's sake if you're burnt out on 'em.

#32 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Actually, I really love the radio stations in Fallout, but I turn them off because I like to be able to hear if my death is quickly approaching.

#33 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2398 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish: I do not understand your threads at all. No offense.
#34 Posted by dragonzord (823 posts) -

Nah. Mafia had fantastic radio stations

#35 Posted by the_gallo (141 posts) -

I don't want to set the lone star civilization on fire with the big iron on my hip.

#36 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Can you explain why it would? I love the music from that era, but unless you hated it, I fail to see why new music like that in the one other game about to use it is a big deal. I'm a total 20's-50's fanboy, so I love it all.

#37 Posted by Jackel2072 (2279 posts) -

no. but  wish i could turn off the fucking radio in the car off every now and then. i like some of the music from the time period but there is A LOT of annoying music from that era.  

#38 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

I liked old music before old music was cool

#39 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Good thing i didn't play much Fallout

#40 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

I find when I hear old music in a game, it is so refreshing compared to the usual rock guitar songs found in so many games.... The same goes for orchestral music, I get pumped when I hear that kind of stuff!

#41 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -

No, I like old music.

#42 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

Somehow when I play LA Noire I can't help but feel like it's a prequel to Fallout 3 because of the music. Fortunately I don't hear it that much.

#43 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

I would sooner listen to the whole Fallout 3 soundtrack before the whole Fallout: New Vegas soundtrack. New Vegas just has some songs that are extremely irritating, like Johnny Guitar. My god.

#44 Posted by dungbootle (2428 posts) -

I don't really understand the last option but I liked it.

#45 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1356 posts) -

No, it did not :)

It gave me few different people to listen to :D

#46 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish said:

EVER.

This is an accurate summation of my feelings on the matter.
#47 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

I don't know man.  I was listening to Doo-wop music like the Inkspots and old jazz musicians like Billie, Ella, etc since long before Fallout 3 was ever even a concept, so I don't think it's done much to increase or decrease my enjoyment of the music in the slightest. 

#48 Posted by melcene (3034 posts) -

Funny that somehow I missed this.  Just yesterday I decided I was in the mood for my Fallout Playlist on Youtube.

@LordXavierBritish said:
Also, this can't be completely true because there were areas that didn't receive GNR's signal until you completed certain quests, or just didn't get the signal period.  :P
#49 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -

No, but Bioshock 2 did.

#50 Posted by ShaggE (6699 posts) -

That soundtrack is glorious. I keep meaning to swap out the vastly inferior New Vegas soundtrack with FO3's. (but I'll keep Johnny Guitar)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.