Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

I feel like a failure on almost every street crime.

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By GeneralZod37

The criminals always die. Out of about 10 so far only 3 times have they not died, and one of those was due to a glitch. It feels like there should be other ways to handle these situations but I am completely lost and it doesn't feel like the game voice those options too clearly.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

You know, I'm feeling the exact same thing. I've only done about 4 street crimes and I think 2 of them had the criminals put into an ambulance or something. Sometimes I shoot them in the legs to subdue them but they still end up in the stretcher, white sheet spread across their body.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @rjayb89 said:
     Sometimes I shoot them in the legs to subdue them but they still end up in the stretcher, white sheet spread across their body.
    Bullets kill man. A shot to the artery in the leg and they will still bleed out before the ambulance can get there. 
    Gashlycrumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Gashlycrumb

yeah, i've only done 2 so far.  shot one guy in the throat...the other one...well he killed himself.  aren't you suppose to be able to tackle them? 

claudius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By claudius

I feel the same way. I've done only a couple so far. I shot one guy in the head as he held another guy hostage and the other guy jumped off the top of a building. Something about the silence as the bodies are being put into the ambulance makes me feel like the worst cop.

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Moridin

I had one that ended in a fist-fight, and one where I could have disabled a getaway car - but ended up shooting the dudes driving it in the backs of their heads. Heh.

ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ApolloBob

Has it been established that the outcomes of these affect anything?  Killing a dude might not feel exactly right, but it counts as "completing" the street crime (even unlocked a completion achievement).  Gunning a guy down before he could take and possibly kill the eventual hostage seemed a fair outcome at that point.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Moridin said:
    I had one that ended in a fist-fight, and one where I could have disabled a getaway car - but ended up shooting the dudes driving it in the backs of their heads. Heh.
    awesome
    Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Silver-Streak

Agreed. I have yet to have a nonlethal resolution, even one involving chasing an unarmed man ended up poorly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The penalty for horse theft is death!

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By mfpantst

So I feel the street crimes are supposed to morally weigh down your character.  So far I've had to kill one dude and had another dude commit suicide on me.  Plus in both cases doing the street crime made things go worse in my real case.  so it seems like a purposeful fuck you to your psyche

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I tackle a lot of dudes. Also stopped a suicide once. 

So not a total failure. 
    Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Spongetwan
    @mfpantst said:
    So I feel the street crimes are supposed to morally weigh down your character.  So far I've had to kill one dude and had another dude commit suicide on me.  Plus in both cases doing the street crime made things go worse in my real case.  so it seems like a purposeful fuck you to your psyche
    You might be on to something. And it would fit the character because he is sooo moral about all his actions. Makes sense.
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mfpantst
    @Spongetwan: The more I think about it the more I'm considering this game is designed to be a big soul crush.  Which would fit the whole Noir framework.  I'm going to do a blog about what I'm seeing because there's alot of little aspects that seem to add up.  And the case I finished last really set me in this something is not quite right mindset.  (The lipstick murder).  Barring points where I'm just starting a case I'm most likely not going to do street crimes except in the free mode after I finish a desk.  I sincerely feel like doing the side missions harms my mission performance.  Even at the cost of the xp you get from the side missions.
    MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MideonNViscera

I kill them all. Not even sure I have an option with most of them. Then again, I charged a guy with a murder I'm pretty sure he didn't commit too haha

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By uniform

This is really started to irritate me.

This eventually leads to one of these all too common hostage situations, which have no result other than kill or failure. You can shoot the gun out of their hand, but not before they shoot the hostage. I have been thoroughly testing this. Satisfaction to me, playing as an officer of the law, is putting the guilty behind bars, not seeing how many of their dead bodies I can be responsible for by game's end.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

This is the 1940s, that is justice.

tictocbehemoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tictocbehemoth

I keep killing everyone on the street crimes. I am the worst cop.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By yoshimitz707

Whatever, man. These are criminals who are shooting at me and killing people. What makes me feel bad is when I rack up $11,000 in vehicle damages and kill like 8 civilians in one case.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By veektarius

As far as the department's concerned, a perp removed is a perp removed, one way or the other, I'd imagine.  Case closed.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By handlas

hummm didn't know you could NOT kill them.  Mine always end up with the guys taking a hostage and I shoot them in the head ;/

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#22  Edited By Yanngc33

Hey, there's an achievement for killing a certain amount of guys, and none for arresting them so what do you think the game wants you to do?

Moridin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Moridin

I don't have any moral issues with the street crimes that end in me having to ice dudes. If they have a gun and are shooting at me or other civilians, it's my duty to put them down for the safety of myself and everyone nearby.

I would, however, like to see more that give me the ability to tackle a guy or fire off a warning shot. I've now done 17/40 street crimes, and have only had two where someone didn't die. Haha.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By donchipotle

The way I see it, as soon as they use lethal force or gun down a fellow officer, they signed their own death warrants. Though I do tend to go for leg and arm shots.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mnzy

This must be one of the first times that you shoot bad guys in a video game and it is not what you want to do.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @mnzy said:
    This must be one of the first times that you shoot bad guys in a video game and it is not what you want to do.
    i guess that's a fun change.. 
    Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By maskedarcstrike
    @yoshimitz707: Completely agree with ya there, some of these criminals are cold blooded cop killers and kill civilians.  There was one case where I coulda gave a warning shot but instead I just shot the perp in the head while he was climbing a pipe.

Now the hostage situations.........ugh...... I miss and hit the hostage almost every first time.
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    This is the 1940s, that is justice.
    Also in most of the cases you've flat out seen the crime being committed and the perp opens fire - shooting them down is justified and appropriate for the time period.
    FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FrankCanada97
    @mnzy said:
    Police Quest
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

So long as they're off of the streets ey?
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BBQBram

I think the silent little scenes at the end of the street crimes are exactly the point; these are just futile deaths, there is no beautiful sense of justice like in the big cases, there is no conspiracy to uncover, just evil begetting evil. This provides a moral contrast to the black and white we want to see in the world of crime, while life is just shades of grey. Did all of these crooks deserve death? No, but at that point what option is there.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By briangodsoe

There's only one street crime that left me feeling guilty and that was the one where I blew out the perps brain when they hopped into the getaway car before they even drew on me. Though that was my instinct as a gamer, to get them before they got me and win, so it didn't hit me until after. There was another where I felt Cole should have yelled for a guy to drop his weapon before opening fire, but he did have a gun on a hostage and was in the middle of a countdown so it didn't feel quite as deplorable. I don't know where Cole gets the time to crack conspiracies when he's probably swamped with paperwork and departmental hearings. 

Also it seemed weird that Biggs told me he hadn't pulled his piece in years when he not only just helped me ice some robbers, but started shooting before I did.

RockAction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RockAction

I didn't know you could end it non lethally, everyone involving arms has ended with the coroner - i completed my 13th street mission and saw Carruthers walk past and laughed as i felt sorry i'd dragged him out of the morgue for the third time in a bout an hour 

i was getting concerned that by and large they all ended in a blood bath; if anything it made the street missions really unnecessary as its just a shoot out, once or twice is ok but after that it gets tedious. 

I even tried a few times to hold the cross hair on the target but i would end up getting shot badly or die as the timer for non lethal / intimidation didn't appear 

kind of annoying but i don't seek them out or play them consistently enough to get too frustrated its usually just if i'm close by

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By briangodsoe
    @yoshimitz707 said:
    Whatever, man. These are criminals who are shooting at me and killing people. What makes me feel bad is when I rack up $11,000 in vehicle damages and kill like 8 civilians in one case.
    You're a lose canon, give me your badge and your gun!
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By vitor

@uniform said:

This is really started to irritate me.

I am currently trying to apprehend Leroy Sabo. The game gives the illusion that you can hold the charge down for the warning shot, but things like preprogrammed cars getting in the way and Leroy running faster than an olympic sprinter makes this impossible.
    This eventually leads to one of these all too common hostage situations, which have no result other than kill or failure. You can shoot the gun out of their hand, but not before they shoot the hostage. I have been thoroughly testing this. Satisfaction to me, playing as an officer of the law, is putting the guilty behind bars, not seeing how many of their dead bodies I can be responsible for by game's end.

Felt the same way. Also sort of expected that mission to change more depending on where you went to first. Played it through twice and was disappointed that no such thing happened. One of the few cases where I felt like I knew more than Cole did - seemed pretty obvious to me what had happened but it takes Cole a while to catch up.

purpleinsect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By purpleinsect

I didn't feel bad at all :D

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know you could capture anyone alive when it involved guns. I just shot them all :/

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By eccentrix

I'm surprised more of you don't get satisfaction out of ending the thing non-fatally. Like playing through a stealth game without killing anyone, even though you can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.