Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

I think LA Noire has effectively ruined games for me.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So finished LA Noire last monday and  I'm sitting here tonight enjoying myself playing some games played  Castlevania:LoS and The Witcher and the only thing I can focus on every time a cut-scene starts is how god awful the facial animation is.   Every game that I play now im wincing at how wooden the animation is.  

That is outside of a few games like Enslaved, Uncharted etc that have pretty decent animation.      I think if theres one thing I want the "next gen" of consoles to seriously  work on its animation.  Never really noticed how horrible a large chunk of games are at this. 

I might be crazy rambling again so... I dunno am I the only one here that feels this way?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

It'll obviously catch up. I think Ninja theory has a wonderful face tech, obviously no where near La Noire, but very close. I can see the next rockstar games to implement the tech soon.  

As far as the next gen handling animation easier, completely agree, and I think the next wave of systems, even cafe will have larger disc memory to handle the extra render meat. Can't wait to see all AAA games implement this tech though.

SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

It's probably the shock of how awesome L.a. Noire is. In a while it will pass.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#4  Edited By elyk247

Yes. Get over it. :)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ShaggE

I haven't even played LA Noire yet, and I'm in the same boat. 

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Surkov

it will go away after you've spent some time away from LA Noire. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

No, I haven't had that problem.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

Sure it was pretty good facial animation.   But the bodies they were attached to looked horrible so it immediately brought me out of the illusion of how real they looked.  

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

This was my reaction after playing Half-Life 2 the first time.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BBQBram

I hope they implement real actors' performances in games that call for it but don't forget the value found in stylized animated faces. But yeah, if the next GTA doesn't have this it would be pretty jarring...or not so much jarring but a half step back as we've already seen real actors performing in a Rockstar game and we would all notice the shortcomings of the uncanny valley. Go back and look at Niko, great character design and voice work but compared to everyone in L.A. Noire (or Red Dead even) he's got a serous case of the thousand-yard-stare (or dead-eye, if you will).

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By amomjc
    @Demoskinos said:
    So finished LA Noire last monday and  I'm sitting here tonight enjoying myself playing some games played  Castlevania:LoS and The Witcher and the only thing I can focus on every time a cut-scene starts is how god awful the facial animation is.   Every game that I play now im wincing at how wooden the animation is.     That is outside of a few games like Enslaved, Uncharted etc that have pretty decent animation.      I think if theres one thing I want the "next gen" of consoles to seriously  work on its animation.  Never really noticed how horrible a large chunk of games are at this.   I might be crazy rambling again so... I dunno am I the only one here that feels this way?
    Yeah, instead of pushing Graphics to the limit, I believe developers should begin to work on facial, movement, and weapon animations in the next generation. Make good graphics, but really focus on engineering the little things that make the game.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Sitoxity

It never really changed my views of other games, pretty much kept the same opinions on them. Doesn't bother me.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By ez123

Yeah, totally, facial animation is almost as important as rock textures to me.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'm happy to say that I don't have the same problem.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I'm so used to blank, lifeless faces in videogames, that a single video game that get it right won't ruin all others for me.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JCGamer

I'm still amazed how no one else has been able to get that tech right. I mean no other game does it better real time than half life 2 and that came out 5+ years ago. I'm looking at you Mass Effect.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy

I think you need to realize that there is a continuum of when games are released. Older games will not have this tech and newer games may not either - that doesn't mean it should ruin or affect anything in any way. 

Jawshua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jawshua
    @Marz said:
    Sure it was pretty good facial animation.   But the bodies they were attached to looked horrible so it immediately brought me out of the illusion of how real they looked.  
    I was looking at the faces too much to even notice.
    rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By rethla

Well there are games with good visuals and games with bad visuals. Thats how its always done.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

It's incredibly difficult to animate anything human because the motions are so familiar to us that we instantly notice if something is off. No animator is ever going to be able to compete with directly mapping a human face, and doing that is incredibly expensive right now. That probably won't change with the next generation of consoles, at least not immediatley, so prepare for more disappointment.

That being said, I like the character animation is Portal 2 a lot more, maybe that's just me. I wish more developers tried using non-human or heavily caricatured art styles for their models, it comes off way less jarring and it can look incredible when done right.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By thepantheon

It's true, I'm with the OP and have been feeling the exact same feeling.

I got this when I first played Crysis and then went back to a PS3 game, it was fucking disgusting. It was like I went back to PS1 or something.

Now when looking at QL's of The Witcher 2 or other new games, I can't help but notice their terrible lip syncing and robotic animation.

Goddamn I love L.A. Noire.. Rockstar just give me more.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sitoxity
    @ThePantheon: You want robotic animations, watch anything but the faces in L.A. Noire.

I'm shocked at how many people are acting like this. Are graphics really that vital to you guys?
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I think it's hyperbole to say that it ruined games for you. Only story driven games would benefit from it and even then not all art styles need it. For instance it would not work with a anime art style.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sooty

Hasn't for me, been playing The Witcher 2 and think the game looks great. If anything The Witcher 2 is hindering my enjoyment of a few console games as they look like ass in comparison.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.