I'm sorry L.A Noire i tried but.........

• 95 results
#1 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -

This game is just BORING. 
So i got this game knowing that this is not like red dead and gta4. 
I was excited about collecting evidence, using the evidence to convict a person, looking at their face to see if they are telling the truth or not...... 

But after finishing the last case on the homicide desk i have no desire to ever pick this game up again.  
This game is not FUN at all.
The whole homicide desk was just >>> go to the crimescene>>>> Go to a bar>>>>>To the husband>>>>>Arrest somebody. 

And in between all these repetetive cases you have to interrogate people. 
I don't care what anybody says but the interegattion just sucks.  
People that lie always look around and people that tell the truth just look straight towards you, thats it !  
Nothing more to it.  

I don't care if this game gets better, i just spend 4 hours working on cases that all play out in the same way. 
F this game , thank god i can return it back for a fell refund. 

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I had lots of fun.

#3 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

I had great fun with it.

#4 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

I'm glad to hear another opinion even if it's not exactly the one I was hoping for. I'm still definitely going to be getting a copy of the game. Anything Rockstar touches is practically ensured to be catered to me.

#5 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@xMP44x said:
I'm glad to hear another opinion even if it's not exactly the one I was hoping for. I'm still definitely going to be getting a copy of the game. Anything Rockstar touches is practically ensured to be catered to me.
Good luck to you...
#6 Posted by HonoredSamurai (105 posts) -

I feel your pain, but the narrative and banter are the tiny threadlike silver linings which keep me trudging onward.

#7 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@CL60@PhatSeeJay:  

What did you guys think was fun about the game? Can you explain?
#8 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Sounds like my experience with GTA4 and RDR 

#9 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@HonoredSamurai said:
I feel your pain, but the narrative and banter are the tiny threadlike silver linings which keep me trudging onward.
You had the same banter in red dead and gta...characters talking in between missions or driving to a mission.   
To me this game is just repetetive. 
#11 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@Edin8999: I liked being a cop focusing on other things than blowing  people's brains out every other minute, even if you did a fair share of that as well if you went to the street crimes. I liked building my own idea of the crime in my mind and pursuing it while playing. I pretty much found the things you found boring to be fun. 
#12 Posted by The_Grindilow (433 posts) -

I'm in the process of putting a review for this which hopeully will be done soon, if anyone reads it!

I do see where the OP is coming from. I'm personally having a good time with the game, but playing it slowly, as I think the information overload of trying to bash through the game in a few sittings means that the game, to some, loses it's freshness. It's a great, unique idea and I love what Team Bondi have done, but yes... Will be boring you with my thoughts shortly.

#13 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -

LA Noire is a thinking mans game and I can't applaud Rockstar enough for trying to appeal to a more mature audience with their games this gen.  It's not for everyone.  And I'm pretty sure every review I've read of this game has had that exact disclaimer somewhere in the subtext, but it's a great game for those of us who are tired of Action games and can't really dig sports or racing titles.  There aren't many games in existence that actually try to break out of that mold of, "Go here, shoot guy, go over there, shoot guy"...and I think they totally nailed it with LA Noire.  Bravo Rockstar! 

#14 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@PhatSeeJay said:
@Edin8999: I liked being a cop focusing on other things than blowing  people's brains out every other minute, even if you did a fair share of that as well if you went to the street crimes. I liked building my own idea of the crime in my mind and pursuing it while playing. I pretty much found the things you found boring to be fun. 
I did maybe 2 or 3 streetcrimes , those are not fun. 
And the first few cases i was excited about the game, i liked going up the characters knowing i can put them away. But the homicide desk. 
Every case is the same, nothing really changes, instead of going somewhere and blow somebody's brains out you go there and collect evidence and have talks with people? 
It's not like its different everysingle time because all of the cases at homicide are the same.
#15 Posted by Yanngc33 (4461 posts) -

You don't enjoy harassing suspects?

#16 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@phish09 said:
LA Noire is a thinking mans game and I can't applaud Rockstar enough for trying to appeal to a more mature audience with their games this gen.  It's not for everyone.  And I'm pretty sure every review I've read of this game has had that exact disclaimer somewhere in the subtext, but it's a great game for those of us who are tired of Action games and can't really dig sports or racing titles.  There aren't many games in existence that actually try to break out of that mold of, "Go here, shoot guy, go over there, shoot guy"...and I think they totally nailed it with LA Noire.  Bravo Rockstar! 
A thinking man's game? I'm sorry but i use my head more while playing starcraft 2 then this game.
#17 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
@PhatSeeJay said:
I did maybe 2 or 3 streetcrimes , those are not fun. And the first few cases i was excited about the game, i liked going up the characters knowing i can put them away. But the homicide desk. Every case is the same, nothing really changes, instead of going somewhere and blow somebody's brains out you go there and collect evidence and have talks with people? It's not like its different everysingle time because all of the cases at homicide are the same.
Well you've passed judgement without finishing the game so there's really not much I can tell you to convince you otherwise. The homicide cases dragged on for quite a bit since they tried to build a serial killer thing, but the Vice and arson cases were a lot of fun and disturbing so yes. Things get better, but again. You already said you don't care so.  

Also I like to go to places and talk to people instead of shooting them. It's a nice change. Which is why it's fun for me.
#18 Posted by HonoredSamurai (105 posts) -
@Edin8999:  I won't argue that it's not repetitive, I will however say that the subtlety and context of your conversations, and the character dynamics are far superior to GTA and a simple step up from Red Dead Redemption. I feel that I am learning much more about Cole Phelps and his life experiences, relationships, and the like in comparison to John Marston or any of the GTA gents. This experience is aided by top notch acting, top shelf graphics, and the nuances of this setting.
#19 Posted by OtakuGamer (1287 posts) -

I have to agree that some of the missions (Mainly the homicide cases) were extremely repetitive. But despite that, I’m having an enjoyable time with the game so far.

What really annoys me is the lack of depth in the interrogation/questioning sequences.

#20 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -
@Edin8999: Starcraft?  You're seriously going to sit there and compare this game to Starcraft?  Apples and oranges my friend. Of course there are a handful of games, mostly in the strategy genre, that involve a fair bit of actual critical analysis, but I'm talking about a 3rd person open world action adventure game.  And I mean, if you want to get back to your original point, being that LA Noire is "boring" then you certainly can't sit there and tell me that Starcraft isn't.  I mean, sure maybe for some people watching little explosions and aliens scamper across the screen is enough to feed their very limited sense of appreciation of video games, but Starcraft is boring as fuck when you get down to it's core elements.  It's incredibly deep with it's level of strategy, but it's akin to Chess or Go in the sense of it's fundamentals are just boring in every sense of the word.  Harvest, build, attack, defend...that's about it.  You can argue that LA Noire is repetitive, and I totally respect that, but you can't say in the same breath that Starcraft is not.  Every video game is to some degree or another, but that's how you learn and get better at games, and that's one of the defining features of video games is that ability to learn and get better at them.  You take that away and what do you have?  Interactive cinema at best. 
#21 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -

I thought the gameplay was great. The ending and plot to the last third of the game however.... that's a different argument

#22 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@phish09 said:
@Edin8999: Starcraft?  You're seriously going to sit there and compare this game to Starcraft?  Apples and oranges my friend. Of course there are a handful of games, mostly in the strategy genre, that involve a fair bit of actual critical analysis, but I'm talking about a 3rd person open world action adventure game.  And I mean, if you want to get back to your original point, being that LA Noire is "boring" then you certainly can't sit there and tell me that Starcraft isn't.  I mean, sure maybe for some people watching little explosions and aliens scamper across the screen is enough to feed their very limited sense of appreciation of video games, but Starcraft is boring as fuck when you get down to it's core elements.  It's incredibly deep with it's level of strategy, but it's akin to Chess or Go in the sense of it's fundamentals are just boring in every sense of the word.  Harvest, build, attack, defend...that's about it.  You can argue that LA Noire is repetitive, and I totally respect that, but you can't say in the same breath that Starcraft is not.  Every video game is to some degree or another, but that's how you learn and get better at games, and that's one of the defining features of video games is that ability to learn and get better at them.  You take that away and what do you have?  Interactive cinema at best. 
Wow....did you just say that starcraft is just as boring as LA noire? 
In starcraft you have to make quick decisions.You have different builds you can use. You have to scout your enemy and respond. 
In La Noire...you press A.....then A again...and maybe X or A. And watch long cutscenes.
Thank you.
#23 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
@phish09 said:
A thinking man's game? I'm sorry but i use my head more while playing starcraft 2 then this game.
Thinking, as in a slow moving methodical adventure game, which LA Noire clearly is. 
The underlying mechanics and design of Starcraft (No idea how you made the jump to use StarCraft as your comparison, but let's run with it anyway?) have more of an immediate momentum to them than any adventure game. Possible reasoning is due to the fact that it's a completely different genre of game...

Now, one can argue that the adventure design can be interpreted as watered-down in comparison to other adventure games, but I personally have found that turning off hints and audio cues remedies this effect. Complaints though on the game's repetitive nature in comparison to StarCraft are kinda silly, given the repetitive nature of that game if you break everything down to it's bare fundamentals. 
So...The argument still is pretty shallow.
#24 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Yup it's an overrated game once again lapped up by the video game websites.

The ending is a joke.

#25 Posted by Daveyo520 (7003 posts) -

It is tons of fun.

#26 Posted by zityz (2360 posts) -

I'm having fun with it so far myself. If different and it's set in a time period I find interesting. That being said I've never picked up RDR and I never intend to. I'm sure it's a great game I just don't like the setting. In the end, you might not have had a good experience, but this doesn't mean this is a shitty game. It just means it's not for you.

#27 Posted by Animasta (14726 posts) -

I really don't get all of the rockstar apologists who come into any thread like this and say "oh you just don't GET IT" or, the one you headed off, "you just expected to blow up cars and run over hookers, this game is more than that" it's annoying.

#28 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

I think it's a lot of fun.

#29 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I understand your complaints but I just finished it and it was a lot of fun.

#30 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
@phish09 said:
Wow....did you just say that starcraft is just as boring as LA noire? In starcraft you have to make quick decisions.You have different builds you can use. You have to scout your enemy and respond. In La Noire...you press A.....then A again...and maybe X or A. And watch long cutscenes.Thank you.

Scout and Respond? That shit sounds boring.
#31 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks said:
@Edin8999 said:
@phish09 said:
Wow....did you just say that starcraft is just as boring as LA noire? In starcraft you have to make quick decisions.You have different builds you can use. You have to scout your enemy and respond. In La Noire...you press A.....then A again...and maybe X or A. And watch long cutscenes.Thank you.
Yeah...walk around a crimescene pressing A and then A again is alot more fun............
#32 Posted by AlexW00d (6444 posts) -

Tbf I was expecting a cool little adventure game about the gritty life as an L.A.. cop, but so far it is just go to crime scene press X when pad rumbles, talk to witness, if they look at you they are telling the truth, if they look away they are lying, choose evidence, drive for far too long with bad clunky driving, choose to do a shooting bad guys mini game, get to end point, case closed. 

I was expecting far more adventuring and I was hoping I'd have to use my brain a lot more than I am. But then I guess there is only so much they can do with it being a videogame and all.

#33 Posted by phish09 (1110 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
@DeShawn2ks said:
@Edin8999 said:
@phish09 said:
Yeah...walk around a crimescene pressing A and then A again is alot more fun............
By that logic, all Starcraft is is hit a key, then click a mouse button, then hit a key then click a mouse button.  That sounds pretty exciting when you put it in those terms too right?  Every game is boring if all you focus on is the user interface.  
#34 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
@DeShawn2ks said:
@Edin8999 said:
@phish09 said:

Yeah it is almost kinda like clicking around a map looking for someone. Honestly though it is cool you don't like the game it is not for everyone nothing wrong with that. I bought Starcraft 2 day one because I was curious and got bored with it pretty quick and I haven't touched it since. Game wasn't for me oh well but I can see way other people may like it.
#35 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

I really enjoy the game but if someone say its too boring or repetitive I see their point. 

#36 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -
@CL60 said:

I had lots of fun.

#37 Posted by Sunjammer (926 posts) -

I think you need to have some kind of love for adventure games to get into LA Noire. It's what you can call an ambient game. If you don't get a kick out of simply being in the environments it provides you with, i think you may be shit out of luck. Personally I think the less of the game you play the better. It's at its best when it's not being a game.

#38 Posted by Edin899 (629 posts) -
@AlexW00d said:
Tbf I was expecting a cool little adventure game about the gritty life as an L.A.. cop, but so far it is just go to crime scene press X when pad rumbles, talk to witness, if they look at you they are telling the truth, if they look away they are lying, choose evidence, drive for far too long with bad clunky driving, choose to do a shooting bad guys mini game, get to end point, case closed.  I was expecting far more adventuring and I was hoping I'd have to use my brain a lot more than I am. But then I guess there is only so much they can do with it being a videogame and all.
There you go !
#39 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (619 posts) -
@phish09 said:
QFT.  There's no easy way to say "You didn't enjoy the game because you're not smart enough" without sounding like a dick.  But I think you nailed what I enjoyed about the game, maybe some people just like more immediate gratification.
#40 Posted by vidiot (2737 posts) -
@phish09 said:
@Edin8999 said:
@DeShawn2ks said:
@Edin8999 said:
By that logic, all Starcraft is is hit a key, then click a mouse button, then hit a key then click a mouse button.  That sounds pretty exciting when you put it in those terms too right?  Every game is boring if all you focus on is the user interface.  
Holy-mother-of-god, wait, are we honestly comparing the mechanics and input of StarCraft to L.A. Noire?! Why?! Why not compare it to a game that's relevant to it's genre? 
There are most certainly tons of avenues and obvious points of debate regarding L.A. Noire. What are you doing?! o_O

Now if you will excuse me, I have to start up a thread comparing and contrasting the mechanics of Heavy Rain to Halo. My reasoning will be that Heavy Rain is boring and repetitive, but Halo isn't because I'm constantly shooting things. 
I'm miss-reading something here. I gotta be. This is too funny.
#41 Posted by NickL (2247 posts) -
@Edin8999 said:
The whole homicide desk was just >>> go to the crimescene>>>> Go to a bar>>>>>To the husband>>>>>Arrest somebody.
Literally all games can be generalized like this, every FPS is shoot a room of dudes >> advance story a tiny bit >> shoot a room of dudes, at some point do the shitty required driving portion, you have an FPS

With that in mind, I still love me some FPS games but yeah, when you get right down to it all games can be considered repetitive
#42 Posted by Xpgamer7 (2400 posts) -

If you don't like it it's just not your game. I'm sure you'll find other ones you do enjoy. 

#43 Edited by Zimbo (875 posts) -
@CL60 said:

I had lots of fun.

Same here. I'm actually replaying the game in black and white and bringing the law to LA the ruthless way and I'm still having a lot of fun. I must just be a sucker for the setting or something.

I've noticed so many negative nancies in the LA Noire board. We get it, the game isn't for everyone and that's fair enough. But does that really mean everyone who didn't like it has to create a new thread?
#44 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

I didn't like it, and I didn't like Heavy Rain - but I'm glad that people do, because those sales help to fund the advancement of technology that we are seeing in these games. So we should let the people who like it.......well, like it.

#45 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

The 'You're not smart enough to enjoy it' argument is fucking bullshit.

The game holds your hand through everything.

#46 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1270 posts) -

I really enjoyed L.A. Noire but it is an adventure game. You have to like the story it's telling you and I do think playing a case or two a day is a better way to go. Each case is kind of like an episode of a cop show.

#47 Posted by Maajin (1089 posts) -

The advice I would give you is to play L.A. Noire in short bursts. You would enjoy it much more.

I was also getting annoyed by the similar investigtion route on the homicide desk. But that does not happen by chance or lazyness. Every woman was met by the murderer in a similar fashion, in a similar place and in a similar condition, it all ties up to the story.

#48 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1058 posts) -
@vidiot: Hell probably it looks like it.  It is fun though.
#49 Posted by theguy (797 posts) -
@the_hiro_abides said:
I really enjoyed L.A. Noire but it is an adventure game. You have to like the story it's telling you and I do think playing a case or two a day is a better way to go. Each case is kind of like an episode of a cop show.
I agree with playing it slowly, I played a few cases a day towards the start and it started to wear on me but now that the cases are longer I do about 1 or 2 a day and I'm really enjoying it. It's a slow burn but an excellent game in my opinion.
#50 Posted by Agent47 (1892 posts) -
@Edin8999: Wow man pretty shallow.I didn't find it fun neither, I thought the game was more interesting than anything else.The characters aren't that good neither mainly cause you never learn much about them.Yeah the homocide cases are boring as hell but after that the vice cases HEAT it up.I mean the story cranks up and I found it hard to put down the controller because I wanted to see what happened next.I would tell you to give it a second try but it seems you're one of those people that get boring easy mainly by repetiveness.I assumed IF you played Assassins's Creed you probably gave up before the awesome ending too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.