Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

Is it just me that hates this? (Potential spoilers)

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

I didnt realise it was gonna feel so 'gamey'. For all the immersion and attention to detail creating a believable world you can interact with, I really fucking HATE the stupid interrogations, whereby if multiple pieces of evidence can hint at fowl play, only ONE will do the job, and if you dont get it right, all you get is a blanket refute statement from your witness that doesnt even relate to what the evidence is!! Even if what you're trying to present isn't the most vital piece necassary, I think Phelps should still talk about it in relation to the case, instead of the game being 'nope sorry' and cutting that whole dialogue option out the scene. 
    It just really bugs me how you end up with a ton of evidence for each case, but theres no fun in talking through it all with your suspects.
    Btw I'm just on the white shoe murder on the 3rd desk , so no spoilers for after this please!!
    What you guys think?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

I don't mind it.

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By FireBurger

While I agree that the interrogations are pretty cut and dry, the technology behind the facial animations is so expensive and time consuming that recording dialog for every possible piece of evidence wouldn't be feasible. Anyway, when you're done with the Homicide desk, check out my blog post where some discussion about the lesser points of the game is going on. That blog has spoilers through homicide, so be warned.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By Sooperspy

I finished it about an hour ago, and I absolutely loved the game. The ending was kind of disappointing, and it was a bit repetitive but overall I enjoyed the game quite a lot.

TROLOLOLOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By TROLOLOLOLO
    @ShalashaskaUK666:  i know for a fact there is at least one time in the game where you can say lie, and two pieces of evidence can be used to get a slightly different (but still correct) responce 
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By EVO

There's definitely some kinks that need ironing out.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By fjordson

It's not a perfect game, but it's still the best thing I've played this year. Loved it.

The only two problems I have is the mediocre combat and the integration of the side cases/street crimes. I don't really have a good answer for how they can do that, but as it stands they just sort of upset the flow of the game at times. 

One minute you're in the thick of a murder case, piecing together clues, questioning witnesses, heading over to the morgue for analysis results on different kinds of rope, and the next you're gunning down groups of thugs in the middle of the street.
    Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

I just got to Arson, so I am judging without finishing the game, but.........I really think that once the "new technology" sheen wears off, there is a well made but repetitive and very linear game. 

I'm surprised that I haven't heard more criticism of the engine as well. The textures are great, but the physics, pedestrian and vehicle A.I., and framerate are pretty bad.
    And it appears that everyone in Los Angeles both talk to themselves constantly, and say the same fucking thing over and over again.
    danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By danimal_furry

I have two thoughts on this topic. Usually games don't live up to the level they are usually hyped. On that note, you can either view the game as a whole or nitpick. On the other side, if a major aspect of the game isn't entertaining to a player, then that game has failed that gamer. Games can't always live up to hype nor can they please everyone. But I have heard more great things than bad about this one. I know people who hated Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect 2. To them, those games are garbage and the developers did not do a proper job. That is opinion... and it doesn't have to fit the majority. My over all point... I can understand your thoughts on the game, and that idea may seem nitpicky, but you provide a valuable observation. I haven't heard much bad news from this game, but when someone is able to provide a serious negative it provides a more realistic expectation for the game. I don't know if that came across as clear as I hoped. Maybe a short version. Your observation of what may seem a whiney grievance about the game has helped me lower my expectations about the game, because constant good reviews sometimes push those expectations beyond what can be met.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Getz

In before the in b4 "is it just me" image spam

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aetheldod
    @FireBurger: Then perhaps they shouldnt wasted that much money in this "gimmick" and better  had  made a FUN game to play .... not a tech demo.

I wasnt hyped for this game truth be told and I went and bought the game after all the good mentionsthis game was getting , but after you look past the gimmick of the faces the game falls down and becomes a chore and boring game , well that is how I feel anyway.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By I_smell
    @ShalashaskaUK666 said:

if multiple pieces of evidence can hint at fowl play, only ONE will do the job?

Oh my god I just had that problem! I had to interview a guy like 4 times cos I couldn't get it to accept anything. It was the pervert guy at the prop house.

Yeah the biggest thing that's annoying me so far is that it's got the same old problem that adventure games've had since day 1: They only accept 1specific answer. How could Team Bondi or Rockstar not know that was gonna be a big problem?
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By ThePickle

There were definitely times were I felt like I had evidence to nail the guy to the wall, but it didn't do anything. 

Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 25

#14  Edited By Lelcar

I agree that the interrogation system was definitely the biggest bummer of L.A. Noire, it could have been handled much better. However, there were actually a few occasions where multiple pieces of evidence would work for a single answer. There's even one where pressing Doubt or Lie would net you a correct answer.   

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#15  Edited By Sin4profit

I've run into this problem, and yes,it got frustrating.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PillClinton

The truth/doubt system seems completely arbitrary almost half the time to me.  I really don't like interrogations as a main game mechanic. 

Avatar image for shalashaskauk666
    ShalashaskaUK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ShalashaskaUK666

ARGH!!! I'm sick of this, especially later on when you have multiple pieces of evidence that implicate the same thing, picking the wrong one ends the entire conversation!! Its a joke, and utterly unrealistic!! :(

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By recroulette

At least the game lets you continue if you mess up, and the only thing you can really screw up is your rank. (Unless you completely botch an interrogation)

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShalashaskaUK666 said: 
     fowl play
    hah
    yeah there's some weird design stuff in there. i'm still enjoying the game though, even if i can't exactly place why
    hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By hoossy

I agree to the point that I"ve had a few question sequences now where even with the incredible facial expressions and dialogue, your still kinda left up to guessing what piece of evidence Team Bondi wants you to use, or there have been other times when I find out after replaying the mission several times in a row that Bondi wanted you to travel and talk to someone else first, because that would be the only way to collect the evidence needed to properly interigate another suspect...

But there was nothing in place to guide you in that direction.  (not that I don't like having many options and figuring things out myself, but I found that a tad frustrating)   The Stocking murder case comes to mind.

I still love it though!  one of the few games I have ever been able to sit down with my girlfriend and play!  We are both totally into it.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BBQBram

How many topics does it take to remind everyone there is a difference between suggestive evidence and solid evidence?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.