Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire - Final thoughts (spoiler warning)

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By krummi

Finished L.A. Noire yesterday and main thought is disappointment. I had forgotten the game some time ago (was on the To Buy list for ages), but found the Complete Edition for sale at 38€ which I thought would probably be a ok price for it. But now thinking about what it offered I think I paid 10€ too much anyways.

I felt really intrigued about the game in the start and was enjoying it through the first disc - Traffic desk. Mechanics felt ok and the face animation stuff whatnot still looked nice in my opinion. The city seemed really nicely done as well. Half way through homicide desk things started to go downhill. Cases got repetative and characters boring/annoying and you start to notice how the story is being stretched - not encouraging as theres more than half to go. Vice was so-so until the end where Cole was turned into a cheating asshole to make the demotion to arson desk plot turn possible. He was not the greatest personality even before and at that point I had about zero interested to see how his story continued (he still wore the ring to the end though..). The shoot-out of the end was just plain idiotic.

I really like film-noir movies and there was some of the spirit in the game but I dont ever remember seen movies where the main character is plainly as dis-likeable as in L.A. Noir (I thought the character should(?) be someone with charm but who is running out of luck due to someone elses work - not because he himself fucks things up by fucking behind his wife). I have to say that Elsas role as femme fatale was well written in my opinion.

I don't want to pick the game into smaller and smaller pieces by simple small things as it deserves better. And talking about good things, the music was excellent all the way through! I would give this 3/5 or something around that. Chopping the lenght into half would have helped heaps.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By krummi

Finished L.A. Noire yesterday and main thought is disappointment. I had forgotten the game some time ago (was on the To Buy list for ages), but found the Complete Edition for sale at 38€ which I thought would probably be a ok price for it. But now thinking about what it offered I think I paid 10€ too much anyways.

I felt really intrigued about the game in the start and was enjoying it through the first disc - Traffic desk. Mechanics felt ok and the face animation stuff whatnot still looked nice in my opinion. The city seemed really nicely done as well. Half way through homicide desk things started to go downhill. Cases got repetative and characters boring/annoying and you start to notice how the story is being stretched - not encouraging as theres more than half to go. Vice was so-so until the end where Cole was turned into a cheating asshole to make the demotion to arson desk plot turn possible. He was not the greatest personality even before and at that point I had about zero interested to see how his story continued (he still wore the ring to the end though..). The shoot-out of the end was just plain idiotic.

I really like film-noir movies and there was some of the spirit in the game but I dont ever remember seen movies where the main character is plainly as dis-likeable as in L.A. Noir (I thought the character should(?) be someone with charm but who is running out of luck due to someone elses work - not because he himself fucks things up by fucking behind his wife). I have to say that Elsas role as femme fatale was well written in my opinion.

I don't want to pick the game into smaller and smaller pieces by simple small things as it deserves better. And talking about good things, the music was excellent all the way through! I would give this 3/5 or something around that. Chopping the lenght into half would have helped heaps.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mosespippy

Maybe the complete edition was the wrong edition to get if yo thought it was dragging on. How many extra missions are there in the complete edition anyway? As for the shootouts, I bet they wouldn't have included them if they didn't have to but it's a video game so it has to have a machine gun, or so says the business guys. I genuinely think Cole was a decent guy and not a fuck up. War messed him up (and most people in his squad) in a way that his wife couldn't help him with.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JoeyRavn

I think the game peaked at the last Homicide case. The whole desk was extremely good, but after that the game did not manage to maintain such a high quality. It's a good game overall, if you ask me, but that particular case was amazing.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By John1912

Yea, Noire was a novel game which I enjoyed playing threw, but after letting it digest for a few days it really wasnt all that great. Good lord and the hype of the motion capture >.> I knew it wasnt going to amount to much in the long run, but the things people were saying.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I thought the game was an interesting experiment. It definitely would have worked better as an adventure style game, with some driving segments and much less shooting and it needed more of an emphasis on the separate cases, rather than trying to have an overall story tying them all together.

The characters were totally underdeveloped too, I don't think Cole was a bad person, you just never really got a feel for who he was supposed to be. The ending was also very forced and very predictable. I'm glad I played it and it was mostly enjoyable, but I'd have no interest in a sequel.

krummi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By krummi

I have no idea about the extras of the complete edition, its the one that happened to be available (bought from a local store). Should've probably checked more about the game instead of blindly getting it but what is done is done.

The problem with homicide was that you had no choice but to charge framed people due to the way the game was made (jumping between cases is not an option but you have end one before the other) - and even though it came obvious that the guys were framed you were forced put them away so you could progress on the overall game. They were assholes yes but still one should not put them into jail for something they didnt do. Oh this reminds me what an asshole the homicide chief was (if he was the one raving about justice smiting those who do wrong). Asshole in a good way - I hated his guts from the start.

The fall of Cole was stupid in my opinion because you knew nothing about the family - suddenly you get to see his wife throwing him out. One thing they should've stretched is to tell more about Coles family life. Something showing that his realtion with the wife didnt work for example. Something to make a reason for him to go to Elsa..

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Really loved the 1st couple of chapters, saw it out but it fell apart at the end. Really enjoyed the style of game though, would love for them to get the Blade Runner license for some future detective work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.