L.A. Noire Gag Reel

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

One of the defining features of L.A. Noire, if not the element that made the game unique compared to others like it, was the Australian tech firm "Depth Analysis's" facial recognition technology that Team Bondi used for the motion-tracking in L.A. Noire.

The video above is of a gag reel released by Depth Analysis themselves and further shows just how accurate the technology is when it comes to tracking the actors' performance. Makes me curious to see if we'll see similar "gag reels" in games if the technology is used more often than not in the future.

#2 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

The Tongue !!!!!

#3 Posted by RawknRo11a (562 posts) -

Man, that is still some impressive tech. regardless of whether or not you liked L.A. Noire the faces in that game were pretty amazing.

#4 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3179 posts) -

Reminds of how impressive this technology is and how unfortunate all the other animations in the game are.

#5 Posted by TooWalrus (13153 posts) -

That was weird. And cool. I love this tech, I wish it'd get picked up by someone and used more.

#6 Posted by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -

Cool, what else did you find interesting on reddit today?

#7 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

@George_Hukas said:

No need to be a pompous dick, this has been making rounds across the internet all day today. I'm glad he decided to share this with the GB community, because if he didn't I was about to.

#8 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@George_Hukas said:

I don't visit Reddit and it's probably foolish to assume everyone does. I didn't see it posted here, so I thought some who didn't see it would be interested in it like I was.

#9 Posted by wjb (1653 posts) -

FUCKING WEIRD...

Can't sleep...clowns will eat me...

#10 Posted by Krullban (1034 posts) -

SURRENDER NOW AND NOBODY HAS TO-ALLAOWALO

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4168 posts) -

I was about to post this dammit!

But I just saw this right now and that was so creepy yet amazing. It was better then the game itself! Just kidding! This should be DLC!

#12 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10821 posts) -

Rad!

#13 Posted by Khemitude (222 posts) -

Fuck I love gag reels so one for a game is awesome, but my god that tongue and eybrows, also Cole sneezing alot is hilarious.

#14 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

@DaMisterChief said:

The Tongue !!!!!

#15 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

That was really cool. A little creepy, but cool.

#16 Posted by A_Cute_Squirtle (684 posts) -

Someone please gif that tongue scene.

#17 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

I could never get past the lifelessness of the body animation when compared to the faces.

"SURRENDER NOW AND NOBODY HAS TO LAUAAAAAA" got a good laugh out of me, though.

#18 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

@Brighty said:

@George_Hukas said:

No need to be a pompous dick, this has been making rounds across the internet all day today. I'm glad he decided to share this with the GB community, because if he didn't I was about to.

No kidding. Even if he did find it on reddit I don't visit that site and sure do appreciate being shown this video.

As for the video, I didn't realize just how impressive the tech was. The video left me knowing it is more impressive than I thought it was when I had seen the game for the first time.

#19 Posted by BaneFireLord (2918 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@George_Hukas said:

I don't visit Reddit and it's probably foolish to assume everyone does. I didn't see it posted here, so I thought some who didn't see it would be interested in it like I was.

I don't visit Reddit, this was the first time I saw this and it was really cool. Thanks.
#20 Edited by mellotronrules (1179 posts) -

that reel is (pardon the pun) really awesome. it's a damn shame that tech is entirely proprietary and trapped beneath layers of bureaucracy. i hope we get to see it again soon, but i'm not optimistic.

edit: they really should have put that in-game as a unlockable.

#21 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

i hope we get to see it again soon, but i'm not optimistic.

If anything, I'd say it's more than likely we see it again in Whore of the Orient.

#22 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

Wow. That was pretty amazing to watch. Games have come far.

#23 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

@George_Hukas said:

why would you encourage people to go to reddit?

reddit is terrible

#24 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

That was so stupid. Love it.

#25 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6988 posts) -

That's fucking awesome.

#26 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

Some neat ones posted in the NeoGAF thread:

#27 Posted by Lego_My_Eggo (1024 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@A_Cute_Squirtle said:

Some neat ones posted in the NeoGAF thread:

Missed one.

#28 Posted by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

I can't take this game seriously. It's like watching a puppet body with a human head.

#29 Edited by Ghostiet (5242 posts) -
@GERALTITUDE said:

Reminds of how impressive this technology is and how unfortunate all the other animations in the game are.

Pretty much. It also shows the primary problem of the technology really badly - you can only reliably track one face at a time in a scene. Pay attention how they barely animate the other character's face if there are two in a frame. They smile weakly, etcetera, but talking at the same time is completely out of the question.

Also, the eyes. The goddamn eyes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.