Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire is awesome. Lets talk about it.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

Edited By EpicSteve

L.A. Noire is a very different game. I also believe a lot of people who don't follow videogames as closely as you or I will be surprised as to what exactly this game is. I'm about three hours in. I must say, L.A. Noire is one hell of a game. Team Bondi nailed the feeling have actually talking to people. Mass Effect came close to achieving this. However, L.A. Noire is on a totally different level. Characters emote with realism. I feel like i learn a lot about individuals by reading between the lines of what they say. The face mapping technology delivers a lot of life to this game. But so far, I haven't called bullshit on anything characters have told me based on any nervous impulses they have. 

The game centers around collecting evidence. In the main story, I have only been in two gun fights. You're called to a scene and are tasked with investigating the environment and eventually talking to witnesses. For the most part, I always felt like I nabbed enough evidence to pursue the case further. On the contrary, most of my results tell me I only collected half of the physical evidence. For completionists, this may or may not be your cup of tea. On one hand, you have a lot of little things in the environment to find. On the other hand, the game never bluntly tells you that all the collectable evidence has been retrieved until it's too late.  

I won't spoil anything. All my cases so far have begun as seemingly cut and dry scenarios. On every occasion the scope has gotten larger and more witnesses come into play. I'm only at the beginning of the game, but at no point does it turn into a "who done it?". I haven't ever had to pick who was the culprit. Like I said, it's more about the investigation and finding the culprit whereabouts, at least in the first few hours of the game. The issue I take with the game is that all cases do appear to expand to a larger picture. There's always a surprise party involved with the murder, someone tries to run from you, and more characters come into play. I do wish larger cases would be split between smaller cases that are more predictable. Just to add a layer of realism. Not every case should be a conspiracy. 

You can't drive like homicidal maniac. in fact, there are banners all around to city that reads, "Keep LA Safe. Drive Safely". It might has well say, "Hey, this isn't GTA. Don't be a Jackass". The open world-ness takes a backseat as opposed to other games of this design. That's not necessarily a negative. This rendition of Los Angelas is fantastic. The city is so dense and littered with attention to detail, it rivals any open world to date. At no point will you be pulling out your gun and murdering civilians to get 5 stars. You're totally a boyscout. 

So far, I'm really enjoying the game. Most importantly, L.A. Noire washed out the bad taste in my mouth left by Brink. I'm a big fan of post-war Americana. L.A. Noire nails the era it's set in. Missions open with the large italicized text title, individuals referred to women as "broads", and there are obvious domino effects that trace back to the war. The protagonist was even a Marine officer in the fight against Japan. At times, flashbacks show him in training and shipping off to the war. I would assume there's a climax that involves how he received the Silver Star he refuses to talk to other cops about. That's just one layer of this immensely entertaining game. 

Expect a review in the coming days. 
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By EpicSteve

L.A. Noire is a very different game. I also believe a lot of people who don't follow videogames as closely as you or I will be surprised as to what exactly this game is. I'm about three hours in. I must say, L.A. Noire is one hell of a game. Team Bondi nailed the feeling have actually talking to people. Mass Effect came close to achieving this. However, L.A. Noire is on a totally different level. Characters emote with realism. I feel like i learn a lot about individuals by reading between the lines of what they say. The face mapping technology delivers a lot of life to this game. But so far, I haven't called bullshit on anything characters have told me based on any nervous impulses they have. 

The game centers around collecting evidence. In the main story, I have only been in two gun fights. You're called to a scene and are tasked with investigating the environment and eventually talking to witnesses. For the most part, I always felt like I nabbed enough evidence to pursue the case further. On the contrary, most of my results tell me I only collected half of the physical evidence. For completionists, this may or may not be your cup of tea. On one hand, you have a lot of little things in the environment to find. On the other hand, the game never bluntly tells you that all the collectable evidence has been retrieved until it's too late.  

I won't spoil anything. All my cases so far have begun as seemingly cut and dry scenarios. On every occasion the scope has gotten larger and more witnesses come into play. I'm only at the beginning of the game, but at no point does it turn into a "who done it?". I haven't ever had to pick who was the culprit. Like I said, it's more about the investigation and finding the culprit whereabouts, at least in the first few hours of the game. The issue I take with the game is that all cases do appear to expand to a larger picture. There's always a surprise party involved with the murder, someone tries to run from you, and more characters come into play. I do wish larger cases would be split between smaller cases that are more predictable. Just to add a layer of realism. Not every case should be a conspiracy. 

You can't drive like homicidal maniac. in fact, there are banners all around to city that reads, "Keep LA Safe. Drive Safely". It might has well say, "Hey, this isn't GTA. Don't be a Jackass". The open world-ness takes a backseat as opposed to other games of this design. That's not necessarily a negative. This rendition of Los Angelas is fantastic. The city is so dense and littered with attention to detail, it rivals any open world to date. At no point will you be pulling out your gun and murdering civilians to get 5 stars. You're totally a boyscout. 

So far, I'm really enjoying the game. Most importantly, L.A. Noire washed out the bad taste in my mouth left by Brink. I'm a big fan of post-war Americana. L.A. Noire nails the era it's set in. Missions open with the large italicized text title, individuals referred to women as "broads", and there are obvious domino effects that trace back to the war. The protagonist was even a Marine officer in the fight against Japan. At times, flashbacks show him in training and shipping off to the war. I would assume there's a climax that involves how he received the Silver Star he refuses to talk to other cops about. That's just one layer of this immensely entertaining game. 

Expect a review in the coming days. 
    ClaritySam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ClaritySam

That's it, I'm officially taking a three day holiday from the internet until La Noire comes out in the UK.  Enjoy your game dude :-)

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

It is, too bad I kinda suck at it. I need to learn when to doubt instead of lie.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EpicSteve
    @Daveyo520 said:

It is, too bad I kinda suck at it. I need to learn when to doubt instead of lie.

Telling the difference between someone just being nervous and lying is hard. There was a scene were I interrogated a rape victim. I made her cry because I was an accusing asshole. 
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By BrickRoad
    @EpicSteve said:
    @Daveyo520 said:
    Telling the difference between someone just being nervous and lying is hard. There was a scene were I interrogated a rap victim. I made her cry because I was an accusing asshole. 
    We're all victims of rap in some way or another.
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @Daveyo520 said:
    Basically, check your collected evidence; if you have something that proves a part of their statement to be false, then go with a lie. Otherwise, go with doubting them.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Kyreo
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60
    @Daveyo520 said:
    Lie and doubt are basically the same. If you know they are not telling the truth, check your evidence. If you have something that proves what they said is a lie choose lie, and if not choose doubt.
    zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zeforgotten

Shouldn't this be in the L.A Noire forums? Oh well.

All this reading about this game is making the wait harder.
    Silly EU release dates. 
    smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By smitty86

Yeah, that whole lie/doubt thing can be a bitch in some cases. At one point someone said that the victim had "new" glasses while the evidence showed they were broken and repaired. So I accused her of lying and picked the glasses but apparently that was wrong. Definitely was not clear if I was supposed to call her out on small fact but it turns out it was unimportant in the long run.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By laserbolts
    I am only about a half hour in and I'm already blown away. I love the music and look of the game soo much. Voice acting so far is great and I'm looking forward to the characters I will meet along the way. Oh and not to be overly obvious here but the facial animation is ridiculous. It is actually pretty scary and makes me so excited for where gaming is going. Next gen is going to be fucking awesome. Being able to convey emotions and messages through more than words is amazing.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Getz

s'awesome

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Getz
    @smitty86 said:
    Yeah, that whole lie/doubt thing can be a bitch in some cases. At one point someone said that the victim had "new" glasses while the evidence showed they were broken and repaired. So I accused her of lying and picked the glasses but apparently that was wrong. Definitely was not clear if I was supposed to call her out on small fact but it turns out it was unimportant in the long run.
    Funny, I did the same thing. You definitely get the hang of when to call someone out and when to trick them in to giving something up. As a general rule, you can tell if they're lying it's just a matter of whether you've got evidence or not. I'm about 5 hours in, and it's become second nature to me at this point. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm not that thrilled with it. I respect Bondi for what they did but this isn't really a game. You can't fail, you can't get stuck, there are barely any consequences for your actions, etc. Basically, it's an interactive storybook with decent visuals and creepy face animation.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Milkman

Played the first four or so hours today. The game fucking rules. Though, I admit, I'm not all that good at interrogating people.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By JasonR86

I apparently played for two hours.  I had no idea.  It felt like a half-hour.  The game must be good.

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By Tsoglani
    @BrickRoad said:
    @EpicSteve said:
    @Daveyo520 said:
    Telling the difference between someone just being nervous and lying is hard. There was a scene were I interrogated a rap victim. I made her cry because I was an accusing asshole. 
    We're all victims of rap in some way or another.
    This made me have the best laugh! A rap victim! lol
    HonoredSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By HonoredSamurai

I like new IPs that take bold risks and demonstrate passionate work. This hit many good notes from me, but I felt that it gets repetitive and dare I say it, boring at times.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.