Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

L.A. Noire paves the way to a good H.P. Lovecraft game?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

I just finished watching Sessler's Soapbox where he discusses his thoughts on L.A. Noire and he raised a very good observation: In one of the earlier cases, Cole is searching a Hollywood studio and comes across a can of paint with the name "Pickman" on it. I just started reading H.P. Lovecraft late last year and I'm not familiar with the name, but Pickman is a painter in one of Lovecraft's stories who illustrates the horrible things he's seen in the alien realm that Cthulu and friends are from.  Adam describes that Lovecraft's stories are about exploration and discovering things that can lead to complete and utter madness, and that L.A. Noire is a great template to base Lovecraft games on because it's not action-intensive.

I think this is such a brilliant idea and wonder if Rockstar would ever pursue a Lovecraft game. There's the Pickman reference and lots of "Weird Tales" or "Mystery Tales" pulp mags scattered throughout L.A. Noire and Lovecraft published a lot of his works in these types of mags back in the day. Would anyone be interested in playing a L.A. Noire style Lovecraft game and who would be the best publisher/developer to do this?

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@bonorbitz said:

Pickman is a painter in one of Lovecraft's stories who illustrates the horrible things he's seen in the alien realm that Cthulu and friends are from. 

His paintings are mostly of werewolves. The story doesn't have to do with aliens at all. (I really recommend Pickman's Model if you haven't read it, it's some of his best work)

But yes, that would be a perfect format for a Lovecraft game. That level of facial animation could do a lot for the creepy-looking Innsmouth people in particular.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I would love for a game recreate the better atmospheric moments of the flawed but fun John Carpenter film "In the Mouth of Madness".  Sure it wasn't about Cthulu but it did share a lot of similar themes and was genuinely disturbing in parts.   A game using L.A. Noire technology about a detective hunting down a sect of Cthulu worshipers only to slowly be driven insane would be fucking awesome.

If you haven't seen In the Mouth of Madness rent it.  It has Sam Neil going insane and who doesn't love insane Sam Neil?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @528seven said:
    @bonorbitz said:

Pickman is a painter in one of Lovecraft's stories who illustrates the horrible things he's seen in the alien realm that Cthulu and friends are from. 

His paintings are mostly of werewolves. The story doesn't have to do with aliens at all. (I really recommend Pickman's Model if you haven't read it, it's some of his best work) But yes, that would be a perfect format for a Lovecraft game. That level of facial animation could do a lot for the creepy-looking Innsmouth people in particular.
    I see. I guess I need to keep on reading his stuff. Sess just said something to the effect of "paintings of demons ripping people apart" or something. Anyway, I just figured all of Lovecraft's stories were about aliens.   That would explain all those different types of creatures in Arkham Horror...
    Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@bonorbitz said:

@528seven said:

@bonorbitz said:

His paintings are mostly of werewolves. The story doesn't have to do with aliens at all. (I really recommend Pickman's Model if you haven't read it, it's some of his best work) But yes, that would be a perfect format for a Lovecraft game. That level of facial animation could do a lot for the creepy-looking Innsmouth people in particular.
    I see. I guess I need to keep on reading his stuff. Sess just said something to the effect of "paintings of demons ripping people apart" or something. Anyway, I just figured all of Lovecraft's stories were about aliens.   That would explain all those different types of creatures in Arkham Horror...
    No, that's just the aspect that modern fans like to latch onto. They're involved to different degrees in a lot of his work, but not always. The less he went into detail about the Elder Gods stuff, the better the stories tended to be.
    DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By DrBendo

Fuck no.

While I'd like another Lovecraft game, I'd hate it if they reduced his source material to a fucking interactive movie. L.A. Noire is clearly divisive in its gameplay, but I cannot see a solid argument for its brand of narrow leash-dragging being good for horror. While I don't think a Lovecraft game would require a great deal of action, I'd rather play one than watch one; robbing the player of freedom and challenge the way Noire does would castrate any element of suspense.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @drbendo said:
    Fuck no.  While I'd like another Lovecraft game, I'd hate it if they reduced his source material to a fucking interactive movie. L.A. Noire is clearly divisive in its gameplay, but I cannot see a solid argument for its brand of narrow leash-dragging being good for horror. While I don't think a Lovecraft game would require a great deal of action, I'd rather play one than watch one; robbing the player of freedom and challenge the way Noire does would castrate any element of suspense.
    Do you think L.A. Noire is a great starting point at all? If so, what would you change about it to get it to what you want?
    haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By haggis

I think the game would be a great template for a lot of different games. I never thought of Lovecraft being an option, but now that you mention it I would love to play that game.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrBendo
    @bonorbitz

I thought that my reply of "fuck no" was unambiguous. Whether one likes L.A. Noire or not, it just isn't a good game. It's a hell of a technical demonstration, and some people may enjoy the whole interactive movie thing, but the gameplay just doesn't cut it. It drags the player on a short leash, and the whole thing plays out like an extended tutorial; you're told exactly where to go and what to do. The approach can work if players really want to find out who shot Johnny Rock, but the experience is incredibly passive. L.A. Noire is little more than a minor evolution of Dragon's Lair and its ilk. The facial capture technology is impressive, but that is the only remarkable aspect of the entire experience. When the presentation of shitty acting is the top selling point, it doesn't bode well as a model for future games. 

A Lovecraft game should be full of atmosphere. While Bendi created a degree of atmosphere in Noire's setting, there's almost no opportunity for the player to become immersed in it. The player should drive the experience, not merely get pulled along for the ride. The adventure genre can be fun, and it's a solid approach for horror, but L.A, Noire's take on adventure strips away everything that would be beneficial.

For a good Lovecraft game, the player should hold power over investigation. Allowing the player freedom is vital for psychological horror; events should happen to the player. Noire divorces the player from the protagonist; everything happens to some character that the player is watching. Player choices are limited to the order in which the assigned breadcrumbs are followed. With a horror game, this should be avoided. Events should be the result of player choice and action; when shit hits the fan in a dark alley, it should be because the player decided to go into that alley. Puzzles should demand something of the player, and their solutions should be derived from the player's mind; they should not be spoon-fed or multiple choice. Obviously, the game would have to guide the player to some degree, but the guidance should be subtle and allow for breathing room.

If you want a good Lovecraftian game, then inspiration should come from the likes of Penumbra/Amnesia or Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth. Eternal Darkness and Silent Hill also set some good foundations. Nothing about L.A. Noire would work well for a Lovecraft game. Every major design decision Bendi made would lessen the effects of the horror and kill the atmosphere. They succeeded in making an interactive movie and little more.
    Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jay444111
    @bonorbitz said:
    @drbendo said:
    Fuck no.  While I'd like another Lovecraft game, I'd hate it if they reduced his source material to a fucking interactive movie. L.A. Noire is clearly divisive in its gameplay, but I cannot see a solid argument for its brand of narrow leash-dragging being good for horror. While I don't think a Lovecraft game would require a great deal of action, I'd rather play one than watch one; robbing the player of freedom and challenge the way Noire does would castrate any element of suspense.
    Do you think L.A. Noire is a great starting point at all? If so, what would you change about it to get it to what you want?
    Drbendo hates videogames advancement and hates the people that play them, I just recommend just ignoring him man. saves you lots of trouble considering how OCD the guy is.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it would work better for like a twin peaks game or something. 

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BonOrbitz
    @Jay444111 said:
    @bonorbitz said:
    @drbendo said:
    Drbendo hates videogames advancement and hates the people that play them, I just recommend just ignoring him man. saves you lots of trouble considering how OCD the guy is.
    He does make a lot of opinionated statements without backing them up with specific details. I wasn't sure how to address them, but I do appreciate him taking the time to post them. There are a lot of ridiculous threads here that get more responses than others that truly deserve them, so I'm glad that someone took the time to really craft their thoughts in this thread.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HandsomeDead

Would a Lovecraft game even be possible? From the time I wasted on his shit, all I gathered was he gave pretty solid description of places and then ends it all with the protagonist saying he's too afraid to actually tell the horror he encountered; At He Mountains of Madness is a 100 page prick tease and the idea of that being stretched into a full game is so scary, I won't even tell you why.

DrBendo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DrBendo
    @bonorbitz:  
    I made clear statements and backed them up; if you aren't articulate enough to challenge them, then perhaps you shouldn't go around starting conversations. 

@Jay444111:
    What advancement? Dragon's Lair isn't exactly cutting edge, and L.A. Noire isn't much more than a retread. Interactive movies have been around much longer than you have. Slapping some impressive tech over the same gimmick does not advancement make. The game may be better than the countless Laserdisc, CD-i, and 3DO FMV titles, but nothing about the gameplay is new. Bendi took a decades-old model and tarted it up with some new lipstick.

Furthermore, "advancement" is singular and does not warrant the plural pronoun, "them"; also, one does not play an "advancement". "OCD"  is a condition that one has, not a trait that one is; nobody "is" OCD. Learn to predicate you pitiful, troglodytic fuck.

@HandsomeDead
    I love the man's work, and he's not the most influential horror writer for nothing; however, I will admit that he's overrated in some circles. Particularly among young men, there's this cult status surrounding him, and countless people praise him simply because he's Lovecraft, and the hip kids have to like Lovecraft. As for games, direct adaptations are difficult to pull off, but games steeped in his influence commonly do well with it. I think that the best approach would be to use his settings, themes, and aesthetics with a new or very loosely adapted plot.

The payoff with Lovecraft isn't in the end of the story, and his general plots aren't overwhelmingly impressive; it is his skill with the language that makes his work stand out. If you don't enjoy each page for its own sake, the end will rarely sway you.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Jeust

If you like H.P. Lovecraft play Alan Wake and Call of Cthulhu. Both games are have elements of his mythos. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.