Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

My Mind Has been Blown!

rosebud04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Slaker117

Pretty impressive tech, but I wonder how much it will end up mattering in the game.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By hugh_jazz

I'm getting the impression there's gonna be some type of dialogue-system, where you'd be able to pressure people on a subject if you think they're lying. If the facial expressions are as good as the video makes them look, that could turn out to be pretty goddamn cool.

doejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By doejonathan
    @rosebud04:  
    Thanks for the link, I've been looking forward to see what Rockstar meant when they said Team Bondi was on to something special, and it shows in this footage. Whether it will be a defining part of LA Noire we'll just have to see, but it gives us a nice glimpse at what devs can do beyond improving better texture and display resolutions, HDR lighting and framerate.
    Fontan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fontan
    @Slaker117: They say you really have to "read" faces during interrogations. You will be able to see when that quick glance to the side indicates that the person is lying about something, allowing you to press the character and get more evidence or a confession.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slaker117
    @Fontan:  Yeah, but that seems like too fantastical to me. Even with the tech, from a design perspective I don't see it working. Seems it will become redundant with other clues, be incredibly obvious, or have little/no interactivity.

Would love to see it work, but I'm skeptical.
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Dany

God damn, that just look stunning

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Its cool, but you still have a distinct separation from movement and dialog, and the actors aren't interacting with anything. So its still not ideal for replicating movie quality. Nearly there though.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Jimbo
    @CaLe: It's exactly this kind of tech which will make the next step up in game quality feasible.  Eventually it should bring budgets down, not force them up.  Automating the process will definitely end up cheaper and much quicker than modelling, animating and synching it manually.  I welcome it, because the industry should end up being able to make high quality games with smaller teams and smaller budgets, which means they should be able to take more risks with the types of games they're making, or just make much better games on similar budgets.  

Sure it will put some people out of work, because they will no longer be required, but that's just how all industry evolves.  Before long it will seem archaic to painstakingly model a real life object by hand when you can just sit it in front of a camera.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Bollard
    @Hugh_Jazz: Yeahh I read an Edge article a while back detailing some of the dialogue system - it sounds pretty heavy and a big part of the game. Should be quite deep hopefully.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I'm totally impressed and I rarely say that. It's good they are going in that direction of realism.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By CL60

Incredible.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By babblinmule

Holy crap on a cheese topped cracker. That right there might have just single handedly sold me on the game.

SpartanAmbrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SpartanAmbrose

I could not stop saying things like "Holy shit!" and "Goddamn, look at that!" while watching this. I didn't think any game would have better facial animation than Enslaved for quite some time, but LA Noire blows it out of the water.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hugh_jazz
    @Chavtheworld:  I'm thinking that the Rockstar name is enough to get my hopes up regarding that, and it'll be interesting to see how it works. I can't really remember dialogue systems ever getting overhauled or innovated upon except for what Bioware did with Mass Effect, and I'm wondering if there are any other viable ways to create a really cinematic type of system.
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HubrisRanger

This is swiftly becoming one of my most anticipated titles. Between the deliberate pacing, the evolution of the adventure genre, the unique setting and the absolutely stunning graphical advancements, it just is pushing all the buttons I could possibly have. Can. Not. Wait.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By matti00

I fucking love 1940's and 1950's gangster stuff, so if they just phoned in a post-war GTA also ran I would've been stoked, but seriously? I only heard about this game today and I am so fucking pumped right now. I'm setting myself up for a fall but I can help it, I'm excited.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BigLemon
    @CaLe: Yeah, it may be expensive for a little bit, but the technology will eventually become more affordable. And you also have to look at the scope of usability for something like facial motion capture. Not every game would the use of this technology be feasible or even beneficial. There are many games that have their own unique art style and don't necessarily shoot for ultra-realism. And those games will always be around.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Pie

It looks like you won't be able to do long hair in this new facial capture fun thing

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mars_Cleric

is this just going to keep going til we get back to FMV games again? 
    because I am 100% for that
    oatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By oatz

It looks out of place when the bodies don't move as fluidly, but it still looks good.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has already been on the top of my hype list since I heard about it for the first time.

I can't fucking wait.

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ZeroCast

A step in a great direction I would say. 

As new technologies emerge this gives me high expectations on what to expect when it comes to the use of this kind of facial recognition in future games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ryanwho

I think the natural extension of this is the full body capture tech they used in Spiderman 2 (doc oc falling at the end, 100 percent CGI full body capture). Replace those thousand cameras with film cameras and you've got something that tracks your body movement and facial movement at the same time, and you can even have someone else nearby reading the other lines so they have something to play off of.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Meowayne

While the tech is indeed impressive, you always have to be very careful about these things.

1. As was mentioned, this just smells of million-dollar investments. I would imagine that paying one hour of capturing an actor like this equals to several days of more conservative capturing / animation. More investments means more expensive games, means less venturing, less originality, less everything else. Personally, before we perfect facial animation, why not make games narratively interesting first? I think the current, 09/10 technology is enough to carry narrative and content innovation in games for the next 10 years; because everything else is still very much stuck in 1998. 

This is what we can do today. Let's make involving and original games with that first, and then think of using 30 more cameras to capture actors.

2. These videos always make it look like the cameras can magically turn an actors face into a fully rendered, skinned mesh. This is not the case. After the capturing, there are still hours of work done by an animator of mapping this (visual only?) data to the 3D mesh, with varying results. You can expect there to be a kind of discrepancy like it was the case with, for example, Final Fantasy X: Sometimes you get the "expensive" face, sometimes you get the "cheap" face, especially in minor characters. This is annoying as fuck. 

Still, hugely impressive footage I see there. I just don't think it gets us any further in making video games more interesting and engaging.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jimbo
    @Meowayne:   
    shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Meowayne: Definitely good points, though I will just point out two little things.  Now that the tech used for that technique has been created, future implementations will demand a way to reduce the cost of said studios significantly, or whether or not to improve the current method and reduce potentially redundant resources.  Like any new thing, it will take time to reduce the cost of producing and setting the equipment.  When it finally gets a bit cheaper, expect it to pop up more commonly within many studios.

Also, though I definitely agree that this tech alone isn't going to make the 'game' part of games any more interesting, it will definitely allow developers who can access this tech in the future to really flesh out characters some more, right down to the facial subtleties that complement their defined personality within a game's story.  Of course as you said, we would need developers to make better narratives first for these characters to play their parts with better purpose.  Currently I really do not see many stories in games that would have benefited from these advanced facial capture techniques, as the stories themselves are too basic, in my opinion at least.  

Regardless, good to see a new method of face capturing improve to such an amazing level.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Meowayne

@ShiftyMagician:

I would agree with you if the industry had not shown to fail in that regard so much in the past. Yes, of course the technology will become more affordable comparably quickly. Yes, of course technological innovation should, in theory, not hinder content innovation but in fact support it. In reality, however, this just does not happen. In games, technological advancement is racing like a mad man, and it is almost only ever used to make 20 year old things a little prettier or a a little more accessible, and even when technology slowes down (like with the current, 5 year console generation) nobody is interested in exploring its potential except for matters of volume, size, polish and presentation (namely imitating as many movie cinematography/editing conventions as you can). 

Rarely anyone stops to think what magical boxes of wonder and potential current consoles and the PC are. Rarely anyone wants to - or is able to finance their wishes to - explore the types of characters, worlds, stories and concepts you could have an audience experience interactively. 

This is what makes me cynical about every next best "look how awesome this tech is" video. What the medium needs is the creation of a demand of more culturally, aesthetically relevant content. The tools are all there, but the demand is smothered in a continuous flow of added shine and superficialities. 

So I am saying: We already have more than competent facial animation tech. Let's get really excited and innoventive with that first before we invest in and oogle over an even shinier tech.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By metal_mills

I don't like the face animations. Realistic lips with fairly static dead eyes makes it look weird.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By shiftymagician
    @Meowayne said:
    " @ShiftyMagician:  I would agree with you if the industry had not shown to fail in that regard so much in the past. Yes, of course the technology will become more affordable comparably quickly. Yes, of course technological innovation should, in theory, not hinder content innovation but in fact support it. In reality, however, this just does not happen. In games, technological advancement is racing like a mad man, and it is almost only ever used to make 20 year old things a little prettier or a a little more accessible, and even when technology slowes down (like with the current, 5 year console generation) nobody is interested in exploring its potential except for matters of volume, size, polish and presentation (namely imitating as many movie cinematography/editing conventions as you can).   Rarely anyone stops to think what magical boxes of wonder and potential current consoles and the PC are. Rarely anyone wants to - or is able to finance their wishes to - explore the types of characters, worlds, stories and concepts you could have an audience experience interactively.   This is what makes me cynical about every next best "look how awesome this tech is" video. What the medium needs is the creation of a demand of more culturally, aesthetically relevant content. The tools are all there, but the demand is smothered in a continuous flow of added shine and superficialities.   So I am saying: We already have more than competent facial animation tech. Let's get really excited and innoventive with that first before we invest in and oogle over an even shinier tech. "
    That is definitely understandable and again, you make valid points which I hope developers hopefully think about as well before they rush to new endeavours.
    Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Brake
    @Mars_Cleric said:
    " is this just going to keep going til we get back to FMV games again? because I am 100% for that "
    That's right. Multimedia Celebrity Poker 2 now with 100% more realistic devil Frakes. Carbon Neutral Games. 2011.
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By EVO

This suddenly became my most anticipated release.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Meltac

It doesn't look that great, there's something really weird looking to it, could be the eyes. 

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Faint

The one thing that disappoints me about this game is that the faces look amazing and the rest of the graphics look average. Even the guy whom I presume is the main character is wearing a box'y hat that just takes away from the fact his face looks amazing. I hope the only reason the graphics look like that is it's taking so much memory or processing power or something to be able to show those faces.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hairy_Fish

There are weird tan lines where the hair meets the face. Kinda takes you out of the affect.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho
    @Meltac said:
    " It doesn't look that great, there's something really weird looking to it, could be the eyes.  "
    The face is captured from a static motion and projected onto a traditionally made 3d body that moves the head around and shit. So there's a weird juxtaposition here that you don't get in games like Uncharted or Enslaved.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @EVO said:
    " This suddenly became my most anticipated release. "
    ditto
    mcmets93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38  Edited By mcmets93

if the game is going in the direction i think its going in i cannot wait.. but what's even more interesting is that it's being made my rockstar...gotta love rockstar

Flaboere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Flaboere

I'll admit having only seen the "we make fantastic faces"-movie and nothing else about this game, but I'm kinda nervous that's all this game is gonna center around. Like how Avatar was a 3D movie and nothing else. Hardly even a movie.

Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Bouke

This looks amazing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.