Normal Edition and Complete Edition. Which one choose, and why?

#1 Edited by Jeust (10860 posts) -

I am thinking of getting L.A. Noir, not because I'm gripped by story, or the setting, but because I want to experience what it has to offer in terms of storytelling and the technologies it plays with.

Give this should I buy the Normal Edition or the Complete Edition?

My responsible self wants to buy the normal edition, with the regular content, but my lustful nature fears that I won't get the whole experience without the complete edition. Will I miss anything relevant with the normal edition?

Help me Giantbomb!

#2 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

It sounds like you should just go for the normal edition.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'd say get the Normal Edition.

#4 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

I would buy the Complete Ed. because, you know, it has everything.

#5 Posted by iAmJohn (6134 posts) -

Why would you not want the version that comes with all the DLC?

#6 Posted by bybeach (5000 posts) -

With DLC. If you wish, wait for a (nother) steam sale, that makes it all better.

#7 Posted by Catfish666 (191 posts) -

@Jeust said:

I am thinking of getting L.A. Noir, not because I'm gripped by story, or the setting, but because I want to experience what it has to offer in terms of storytelling and the technologies it plays with.

So, if I'm reading you right, you're just curious to see what it's like? If so, get the version that's cheaper. It's highly divisive game. Better not go big spending if you're just in for a peek.

More important question is: Do you like adventure games, the point and click type? Because that's basically what this game is, albeit a modern one, for some rough generalization. Pretty much all the complaints I've seen of the game have been from people who expected another GTA, disappointed in the lack of explosions. If you tend to enjoy more slower paced vibe in your games, then I definitely recommend the complete edition.

#8 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

Do you not have a PC that can run it? It was only $12 for the complete edition on the Steam holiday sell multiple times (and on Amazon). So kind of a shame you missed that. 

But If you have to play it on console, normal is probably the way to go.

#9 Posted by Captain_Insano (1564 posts) -

I really enjoyed the DLC cases but that was partly because it allowed me to continue more L.A Noire after the game had finished. Probably a bit different when they integrate with the main story. Depending on the price difference I would get the Complete edition, but if it a significant extra cost then just go normal.

#10 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

The game felt too long as is. I'd say get the normal edition if you wanna and see if you wanna get the DLC cases.

Also, its like 4 discs in the complete edition.

#11 Posted by Jeust (10860 posts) -

@Dany said:

The game felt too long as is. I'd say get the normal edition if you wanna and see if you wanna get the DLC cases.

Also, its like 4 discs in the complete edition.

That's what I'm going to do. I'll get the normal edition as it seems to be long enough on its own. Afterwards I'll think about the DLC.

Thanks everyone about the replies! Take care guys!

#12 Posted by D_Bones (364 posts) -

I would first off like to thank the OP for making this thread so I wouldn't have to. Good suggestions here but situation slightly different. Trying to decide if I should get complete edition or not from someone who likes to be a perfectionist I know answer should be obvious but i heard the dlc wasn't that great. Would like to hear opinion on individual dlc if they are good before deciding. Thanks

#13 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

@D_Bones: I can't quite remember, but I think one of my favourite missions was DLC, so while I can't help you specifically, I can assure you that they certainly are good.

#14 Posted by D_Bones (364 posts) -

Went with cheap basic edition. If I like it will check out dlc. Thanks for input.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.