Now let's talk about the ending. (Spoilers)

• 166 results
#1 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Phelps dies going into a tunnel system to kill a guy from the war, who is obviously completely fucking insane to the point that trying to get his testimony would be FUCKING RETARDED, solving nothing and rescuing some German woman he is screwing just, you know, cuz.

Why.

WHY.

#2 Posted by thehexeditor (1404 posts) -
The amount of rage I had at the ending was fucking legendary. I am glad you felt the same.
#3 Posted by SMTDante89 (2550 posts) -

I like using the second header too guys!

#4 Edited by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

Hey  what's with dudes named Jack taking over the leads of Rockstar games at the end, same with your stupid son in RDR and now in LA:N and for the record LA:N is as Rockstar as they come so I'm just calling it a RS game. Is there someone in RS that's named Jack or has some addiction to the name Jack, really as soon as I started playing as Jack Kelso I was like well, I guess Cole dies.

#5 Edited by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

Oh and for the record RS, once we've been John Marston and Cole Phelps two complicated characters and down right kick ass dudes each in there own way we don't want to play as dudes named JACK whom are less kick ass and more side note characters that couldn't carry any game let alone the end of a game we put time in and loved. RS stop getting in the way of the endings to your own games. I guess the trick is make the game up till the end fun and enthralling so much so that by the end the people playing them can accept the ending no matter how wrong it becomes. I think John Marston did some bad things and maybe he had it coming to him in the end. Cole on the other hand was a man trying to do things by the books and had a slight ego, or maybe a large one. Never the less I like to think in the end he deserved and earned a better end then he got.  

((((((edit :::::: After taking some time to come down from the high of finishing the game, I've had time to think some on it. ONE, I might have been to harsh on Jack Kelso, I think given a fresh game he could be a good main character. TWO, I almost feel like Cole got what he wanted in the end, a chance to redeem himself, and maybe that's all he ever wanted being a detective. THREE now that I've been thinking and maybe I am over thinking it. What if Cole really didn't die? I mean we saw no body, and it'd make a good twist for a sequel. Idk, maybe it's just me hoping Cole's story isn't done. Just throwing it out there.))))))
#6 Posted by Chop (1994 posts) -

Jack was a badass and Cole just ended up being an annoying bitch. I actually hope there is some Jack dlc on the horizon cause I enjoyed playing as him way more than Cole. 

#7 Posted by bioblood22 (420 posts) -

Yea he was bad ass in terms of being tough and such but his personality was surface water and yes he was annoying after a little bit. But he wasn't Cole, who was a flawed man whom tried to be better but could never find it till the end. Would have been nice to see a Cole be the Cole he was in one of the last Newspapers you find where he goes basically complete BAD ASS when they find Courtney. I feel like Cole has or had more to give in the future, but maybe they'll do something with Jack that will make me less upset about the path they chose to take. Don't mistake me though, I think the game is great but the ending to me felt empty and rushed, when it comes to Cole's end.

#8 Posted by sleeprockss (200 posts) -

I thought jack was pretty cool and he had just as much depth as Cole. The ending scenes could have been fleshed out more but I still enjoyed it, and I could see Bondi making a sequel with Jack as the main character since he's now a DA investigator.

#9 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@sleeprockss said:
I thought jack was pretty cool and he had just as much depth as Cole. The ending scenes could have been fleshed out more but I still enjoyed it, and I could see Bondi making a sequel with Jack as the main character since he's now a DA investigator.
I would prefer that.

Then they wouldn't have to arbitrarily demote you just so you can go investigate fires.
#10 Edited by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -

The ending was weird, but I felt like the whole game was pretty inconsistent. Everything felt contrived, and it's really annoying when you can see right through it but have no power to act accordingly in-game. I feel like much of Phelps' character and actions were inexplicable and not very well explored. Him doing dumb shit at the end only seemed appropriate by that point.

#11 Edited by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -
@LordXavierBritish:
#12 Posted by IBurningStar (2160 posts) -

I didn't like the ending. I didn't feel like it offered closure because it left a lot of things somewhat unresolved. It didn't even do a bait and switch by just ending emotional on an emotional high note. If it had done that then I might have been OK with the fact that a lot of the people involved got away. They had a mountain of evidence on Roy, but doesn't look like they did anything with it. What kind of deal did the guy running for DA work out. I'm assuming that he let the police chief and others walk free if they helped him get elected, but that isn't really made clear.  You really don't know what became of a majority of the characters. You know what, that is my problem, right there. I just wanted more. I'm OK with it not having a happy ending, I'm OK with everything not being wrapped up in a neat little bow. I just wanted some sort of pay off for however many hours I sunk into it. Hell, having Biggs plug Roy as he walked out of the church would have been good enough, because then at least someone would gotten what was coming to them.

Maybe they plan on releasing some DLC that continues the story. Maybe they wanted to leave things open for a sequel. I don't know.  I just know that I think the ending was very underwhelming.

#13 Posted by xXDiabloFanXx (50 posts) -

That was a nice fucking 2 second death scene. FUCKING REALLY! I'm raging here >.< Who else is thinking of milking the shit out of this game for the Trophies and turning it in for trade-in?

#14 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

I personally felt like by the end Cole was a complex but wholey unlikable character. Over the course of the game he had compromised his morals, ruined his career, and destroyed his family. I personally liked Kelso from the first few flashbacks showing his attitude during OCS. I was actually much happier playing as him at the end. As for the ending leaving threads hanging this is what Noire fiction does. Nothing is clean and everything ends in the least convenient way possible. All in all this game was probably the most cinematic game story I have ever experienced and to me that is a good thing. I can't wait for some more DLC.

#15 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -

Talk about a disappointing and rushed ending. I did enjoy the switch to Jack towards the end. I think I liked playing as him more than Cole. His speech at the end of the credits made me respect him even more.

Did anyone else see the 12th newspaper video? Probably my favorite moment for Cole in the entire game, and a great piece of acting by Aaron Stanton.

EDIT: I've had some time to think about this, and you know what? The ending is just fine. It definitely felt rushed and could have used a few more scenes in the final few minutes, but all in all, it fits the story perfectly. Hopefully now they will release more cases/story missions with Jack via DLC.

#16 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

Well, from what I've heard on various podcasts they recorded dialogue and scripted enough cases for two more entire desks worth of cases. That would effectively make the game half again as long. We've already seen A Slip of the Tongue and The Naked City as pre-order bonuses and they slot directly into the story and are full length cases. So, they could release quite a lot of DLC. The only problem is going to be that they eat up quite a bit of memory.

#17 Posted by sleeprockss (200 posts) -
@Aragorn123: I feel the same way, they should have gone into Cole's personal life a little more to make the ending scenes have more of an impact but I still enjoyed the ending a lot.
#18 Edited by SpartanAmbrose (832 posts) -
@sleeprockss: You're absolutely right. We see his wife for a couple seconds at the beginning, one other time when she throws him out for cheating on her, and we NEVER see his kids. They definitely could have done more with his family.
#19 Posted by Bobafeet (60 posts) -

I took umbrage with the ending eulogy of him and how contradictory he was. HE WAS NOT A GOOD FATHER, yeah we only saw his wife once and his kids mentioned in passing, but he was totally stepping out on his family. I was kind of left wanting more out of the whole arson desk to be honest. I think it just got a little too convoluted at the end. I'm fine with ambiguity in the ending of my games, but to leave this many plot threads left dangling is odd. Let's hope DLC addresses this in the future.

#20 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Bobafeet said:
I took umbrage with the ending eulogy of him and how contradictory he was. HE WAS NOT A GOOD FATHER, yeah we only saw his wife once and his kids mentioned in passing, but he was totally stepping out on his family. I was kind of left wanting more out of the whole arson desk to be honest. I think it just got a little too convoluted at the end. I'm fine with ambiguity in the ending of my games, but to leave this many plot threads left dangling is odd. Let's hope DLC addresses this in the future.
Of course it was contradictory, did you see who was giving the eulogy?
#21 Posted by Bobafeet (60 posts) -
@CL60: Good Point, but he wasn't wearing his signature suit! I still would have liked more closure on some story threads that were made a big deal of.
#22 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

The whole Idea of the final scene was that it was all a show.  If they were acting so sincere and lying through their teeth in the most somber of moments, what inconsequential things could have been misconstrued throughout the story.

#23 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

I liked the ending but I didn't like the end cutscene.  I think they tied everything together really well and the conclusion to the overarching story was well done.  I don't mind what happened in the last cutscene.  I don't mind that Cole died.  In fact, I thought it beautifully ironic.  He kept trying to get recognition for good deeds.  But, when he finally acted selflessly he died before he could be recognized for it.  The only real problem I had with it was the pacing.  Everything went by so fast and it was all so rushed.  It's to bad.  They just needed to slow things down a bit and let the cutscene run a bit longer.

#24 Posted by Knave (548 posts) -

I really didn't care. The game was great, but the only character i really gave a fuck about was Jack. He was a much better character than Cole in my opinion. I knew Cole was going to die as soon as i started playing as Jack.

Also his death scene was so stupid. The part where he says "goodbye" cut out for me, so all i saw was him getting flushed after Jack took a giant shit in the tunnel.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@Knave:

Cole said goodbye before he died?  I didn't hear that at all.

By the way, to everyone, why was there a flash-flood in the sewers?  I didn't understand why the water was raising and why it led to that tidal wave.
#26 Posted by Slaker117 (4835 posts) -
@JasonR86: You're right, that was totally random. The whole "water is rising so get out quick" thing is so common in video games I just accepted it initially, but thinking about it now, I don't get it either. Maybe it was the rain causing it? That seems pretty unrealistic, but at least it's something.
#27 Edited by Sessh (730 posts) -

I actually really liked the ending. It was a very noir thing (suprise!) with Roy holding the eulogy, and everyone except for Elsa being just happy with themselves and with Cole's death. But, yeah, I agree that it could have been better, if it had been a bit longer.

As for the actual fact that Cole died, I didn't care at all. He just wasn't very likeable, being way to stuck up, and always kinda trying to redeem himself, by behaving EXACTLY the same as in the war (playing strict and by the books) was a really dumb thing to do. I guess he got his redemption (at least in his own eyes) in the end by finally doing something "courageous", saving the wounded Jack.

@JasonR86
said:

@Knave: Cole said goodbye before he died?  I didn't hear that at all.By the way, to everyone, why was there a flash-flood in the sewers?  I didn't understand why the water was raising and why it led to that tidal wave.

Now that's a really good question. I was really confused with the whole water raising deal too, it didn't even rain or anything if I remember correctly.
#28 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@Sessh:

It was raining but those would be some really ill-made sewers if they couldn't survive a rainy night.
#29 Posted by Sessh (730 posts) -
@JasonR86:
Okay, it seems to have slipped my mind then, probably because of that fantastic car chase scene.

You are correct with that statement anyways, but I guess that as stupid as it is, it's still the explanation for the raising water.
#30 Posted by Bobafeet (60 posts) -
Upon ruminating over the ending a little more, I don't have much of an issue with it.  I agree with @JasonR86: the pacing was pretty poor.

@Sessh
Also the ending car chase scene WAS fantastic
#31 Posted by ThePickle (4155 posts) -

Didn't like the concept of Cole dying, but I think the execution was excellent. Love the suddenness of his death, and Roy's eulogy just cemented how much of a dick that guy is. 

I felt like Jack was a last minute protagonist. Sure, you see him in flashbacks a lot, but you only see him present day in Vice. It seemed like once they incriminated Cole (which was also bs), they needed someone else to prop up as a hero. Also, the Arson stuff was really boring and they needed something else to do with Act 5. I felt Cole never got a real redemption from his wife. He's now seen as a hero from the force, but I'm sure his wife still holds some resent.

That game is just full of loose ends. But, that's also the nature of the business these guys work in. They find the perp and move onto the next case.  
#32 Edited by LackLuster (713 posts) -

The ending was frustrating and it Was clearly supposed to be that way. I feel like his death kind of redeemed his actions in the war since he sacrificed himself.

#33 Posted by DeShawn2ks (1052 posts) -

I got to use a flamethrower at the end so it gets a thumbs up from me. I also liked Jack a hell of a lot more than Cole for some reason. Also did anyone kick down the door to Jack Kelso's bosses bed room when you were looking for clues? That was some messed up stuff right there.

#34 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@DeShawn2ks:

I did and it was messed up.  I wonder if it will be the new TV news "games are bad for children" talking point.
#35 Posted by MrGtD (453 posts) -

Well, I loved it, in case anyone was asking.

#36 Posted by Chokobo (1228 posts) -

The final car chase was so good.  Rolling cop cars like hippies roll joints.

#37 Posted by Omega (829 posts) -

I would have liked the ending better if after the credits you see Roy Earl coming home with his groceries and Jack comes in behind him with a pistol and shoots the fucker in the head. Like in The Departed.

But I guess that would go against the symbolism of Roy as the serpent tempting Phelps with Elsa. It all went down hill when Earl befriended him. Roy is the devil and you can't kill the devil. Though you can probably win a fiddle contest against him.
#38 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@Chokobo said:
The final car chase was so good.  Rolling cop cars like hippies roll joints.
Okay yes, that part was great.

I wish I could have used the flamethrower too but you have to wade across a lake of bull shit while being shot at with no way to defend yourself so I gave up on that crap.
#39 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

The fact that you play almost the entire ending of the game as someone else disconnects you from Cole's ending. You stop identifying with him and caring about him, and in some respects, forget many aspects of his character and plotline, so when the ending finally comes around, you're not as invested as you should be. It would have been much more affecting if we didn't lose control of Cole for so long before that happened.

#40 Posted by Sessh (730 posts) -

@Bobafeet:
Well I guess it was the best car chase scene in the game, that doesn't say all that much though.

#41 Posted by PhatSeeJay (3322 posts) -

Where's the body?! The coffin was closed, and probably empty! He ain't dead! They just wanted to put a lid on the whole Phelps thing to get on with their corrupted business! 

#42 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

I'm just wondering when things escalated so badly between Roy and Cole. I didn't think Cole knew Roy sold him out at the end of the Vice desk. I fell asleep a few times while playing so it's quite possible I missed something. It was like they were partners, then the next time they met Cole was threatening to blow Roy's head off and calling him dirty. I mean it's obvious as fuck Roy is dirty, but I didn't think Cole actually had proof.

#43 Edited by Clonedzero (4091 posts) -

i hated that it switched to playing kelso near the end. it completely detached you from cole. plus jack kelso is a bad character, he's a generic gun-ho cowboy character with no real flaws. he's the type of character you'd see in a generic shooter or something. playing as him and having the end of the game end in a bunch of shoot outs completely ruined the vibe of the game, the attachment to the character. the style. everything.

the encounter with monroe, i was expecting something like you know, proving he was corrupt or i dunno something interesting instead of "lets rush his mansion with machine guns dudes wooooo!"

the flamethrower guy, lets ignore the fact he could put all the bad guys away and was critical to building a case against them. he obviously trusted both cole and jack, but nah, lets shoot him.

i understand its a very noire thing to do is to have you not really change much in the end, but the way the ending was executed, action scenes for NO reason. who the hell were you even blasting away in the tunnels? rushing the dudes mansion with machine guns and t he dude just chilling in his office when he hears all this going on? switching characters at the end so coles death has absolutely zero emotional impact.

the game turning into an action game rather than a detective game.
switching characters to remove any investment in characters you had. (going from the interesting and extremely flawed Phelps to the generic action game hero Kelso, ugh.)
shooting the mentally ill guy for no real reason.
killing off the main guy for no real reason other than the cheap "dramatic death" thing. he easily coulda lived and still failed, which actually would have been much more interesting.

most disappointing ending of any game for me for the last 3-4 years honestly. i dont mean worst, i mean most disappointing, i was expecting a brilliant ending not some cheap crap this gave me.

EDIT- also, anyone else kinda find it fucked up that a HUGE chunk of the people you arrest are actually innocent? lol

#44 Posted by Raven_Glory (8 posts) -

@Clonedzero - I completely agree with you about the whole action game ending, i mean previous to that they never show a firefight with more than a dozen guys involved, suddenly your fighting off a 30 guys in the mansion then again in the sewers? Talk about jaring. That was really my only problem with the ending. I loved all the story stuff, the words that herschel and jake said to each other, completely reminded me of "Forget it, Jake. It's chinatown"

Also I think jack has flaws, its just they are normal video game flaws, like shooting a man in the leg to get information, willingness to do that might be considered a flaw in some people. Really i think the worst thing about Jack is that his entire arc is shoved into the last 5 hrs. It would have been much better if every few cases we got with Phelps, we got a insurance case with Kelso, this way it would be much less jarring for us to entirely switch to another character at the last minute. Finally did anyone else love the way that phelps and jack came to the same conclusion independantly and their seperate lines of investigation wraped up the case neatly for us but not necessarily for the characters?
#45 Posted by haggis (1677 posts) -

I actually liked Jack's character better than Cole. Still, playing a good portion of the end of the game as someone who is not the chief protagonist ... seriously, what were they thinking? And if they really wanted me to care more about Cole, they wouldn't have given his family such short shrift. The weakest part of the story was not giving Cole more things to do outside of the cases. When all the stuff goes down with him late in the game, I really didn't care much. Lots of potential here, just not quite there on the follow-through. The ending was very weak.

#46 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10534 posts) -

I did not like the ending. To be honest, I kinda didn't like much of the overarching story after the homicide desk. 

I also didn't like having to play as Kelso. I did not like him either. 
#47 Posted by DrMadHatten (118 posts) -

It's hard to kill the character you play as. Do you feel anything? Not really. Now if they killed Alex in Half Life...
Another point is it's also hard to make a personality for a character that you not only control, but throw clues and interrogations at.

Hated the ending.

#48 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@DrMadHatten said:
It's hard to kill the character you play as. Do you feel anything? Not really. Now if they killed Alex in Half Life...Another point is it's also hard to make a personality for a character that you not only control, but throw clues and interrogations at.Hated the ending.
I'm not sure I get where you're coming from.  Why does killing a character you play as make less of an impact then killing an NPC?

Why is it hard to make a personality for a character that you control but was once an NPC?  I'm assuming you're talking about Jack?  He had a very well defined personality.
#49 Posted by Lelcar (597 posts) -

Yeah, I didn't enjoy the ending too much either, nor the four cases that came before it. The best part of the game was the middle of it, in my opinion. Even though it was anticlimactic and felt a little rushed, i don't think the ending broke the game for me in any way. Still a great game.

Just wished they did more with the Dahlia killer or some other type of deranged genius psychopath, rather than some boring evil housing corporation and a cowboy from the war.

#50 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -
@Lelcar:

I actually really liked the real estate scam storyline.  I thought it was realistic and took advantage of the environment and the time-frame (ex; utilizing the soon-to-be freeway system as a an aspect of the scam).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.