Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

One thing that makes me a little angry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I love to complete things to 100% so when I was playing L.A Noire it was no different, but god damnit....Some cases I have to play through 4-5 times because I fucked up a interview and got 2/3 questions right. It was a real piss off because I couldn't retry the question over and had to quit out and start the case again, and again, and again or use up all my intuition points.

Anyone else have any similar annoyances?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I did that the first few times (restarting interrogations), just to test the game and get the hang of the system 

but then i stopped because.. think about it: It's simply pathetic to keep restarting certain parts of a story-driven game just to have it flow flawlessly.. where's the intense fun in that? Now i'm more than fine with handling a few questions wrong in some interrogations, because it feels so much better when i keep going after other clues until i crack the case. 

So no, i'm actually glad L.A. Noire is forcing me to stop being such a completion whore and just make the best out of each situation. If i wasn't smart enough to see a certain suspect's trick or lie, that's my problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I see what your saying, I just hate to see the 2/3 when it could be a 3/3. I'll just have to grit my teeth if I fuck up and continue on.

Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Sitoxity

It's definitely not a game for the OCD gamer. Try and take comfort in the fact that they do play out differently depending on what happens when you answer something wrong, and sometimes you CAN get 5 stars while missing one or two questions.

I feel your pain, bro.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By laserbolts
    Yeah I was gonna go for the five stars on all cases achievement but I quickly found out that I'll have to wait for a second play through to do that. I don't wanna ruin the experience by using a guide or anything so the cheevo can wait.
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Dylabaloo
    @Bucketdeth
    I had a little system where I didn't have to restart the whole case, before each interrogation the game auto-saves, I go in test the waters if i'm not happy with my results I press start; I made sure I pressed start as soon as before the interrogation ended as it would auto-save again. From the start menu you press quit, back at the main menu I pressed resume and viola I could repeat the interrogation again.  It was gaming the system but it allowed me too enjoy the game a lot more. 

Although as mentioned the game is very good at helping you get through the case even if you fuck up, but nearing the end its a lot less forgiving and rightfully so.
    liquidmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#7  Edited By liquidmatt

I only got all the questions right on about 2 cases out of the 21. Sometimes it felt fair, as I rushed. Other times I blamed it on the logic of the evidence and links the game expected me to make, sometimes I could see a link between an object and a character, but the game instead decided it wasn't to be. Not sure if it was actually just my lack of detective skills.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xMP44x

I imagine that I will be finishing the game twice - my first run will be my run, and then the second will be guided.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By WickedCestus

If your completionism is making you enjoy games less, you might want to re-think the way you play games. Remember that this is all for fun, and if striving for 100% every time is causing you to have less fun than that's definitely a problem.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Use a guide.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By MideonNViscera
    @liquidmatt said:
    I only got all the questions right on about 2 cases out of the 21. Sometimes it felt fair, as I rushed. Other times I blamed it on the logic of the evidence and links the game expected me to make, sometimes I could see a link between an object and a character, but the game instead decided it wasn't to be. Not sure if it was actually just my lack of detective skills.
    Yeah, that frustrated me A LOT starting out. Also when I chose doubt and was incorrect and Cole would shout psychotic accusations at them. Very annoying. Eventually I got a little better, as well as caring less heh
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jimbo
    @Bucketdeth said:
    ...had to quit out and start the case again, and again, and again or use up all my intuition points.
    I just stopped after the 'quit out' part.
    Morien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Morien

I did the same thing Dylabaloo did. After getting a question wrong in an interview just press start, quit, resume. You usually have to find evidence over again but that's not really a problem. 
    This method solved my need to get 100% the first time playing, but it might have ruined the replay value for me. Although going through the game accusing everyone of lying or telling the truth would be fun.. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dylabaloo said:
    @Bucketdeth: I had a little system where I didn't have to restart the whole case, before each interrogation the game auto-saves, I go in test the waters if i'm not happy with my results I press start; I made sure I pressed start as soon as before the interrogation ended as it would auto-save again. From the start menu you press quit, back at the main menu I pressed resume and viola I could repeat the interrogation again.  It was gaming the system but it allowed me too enjoy the game a lot more.  Although as mentioned the game is very good at helping you get through the case even if you fuck up, but nearing the end its a lot less forgiving and rightfully so.
    This sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a try.

@supermike6 said:
    If your completionism is making you enjoy games less, you might want to re-think the way you play games. Remember that this is all for fun, and if striving for 100% every time is causing you to have less fun than that's definitely a problem.

Yeah I know I need to loosen up a little while playing, instead of making the game a chore.
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By BBQBram

First playthrough; go with the flow, immerse yourself, the whole point is living with the consequences of your actions.

Second playthrough; use a guide or the quit-to-menu-and-resume trick and see the optimal outcome, getting the 5 star achievement in the process.

That's what I'm doing.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By recroulette

Fallen Idol really pissed me off because it used the same piece of evidence twice in the same questioning sequence. 
    I mean, yeah I know it made sense, but Phoenix Wright logic got the better of me. 

If I didn't quit to menu, I would've never 5 starred that one.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fetchfox

I just got platinum, and I used the quit-resume strategy a couple of times (and took my time when i was unsure of truth/doubt/lie). I only used a guide for the cars and the filmrolls, as I didn't want to make the game into a chore.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By foggel

Press start, then choose quit. Then press resume.

Avatar image for lobster_monster
    Lobster_Monster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lobster_Monster

If there's a lot of questions, you don't actually have to get them all right to five-star the level. You can miss one or two. Especially if your partner is driving so your damage is $0.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Getz

yeah, certain homicide cases were pretty rough for getting that coveted Valorous ranking. I ended up using a walkthrough for a couple.

JumpingRetards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JumpingRetards
    @MideonNViscera@MideonNViscera said:
    @liquidmatt said:
    Yeah, that frustrated me A LOT starting out. Also when I chose doubt and was incorrect and Cole would shout psychotic accusations at them. Very annoying. Eventually I got a little better, as well as caring less heh
    I'm only on my third or fourth case but that pissed me off so bad I had to take a break.
    kmg90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By kmg90
    @xMP44x said:
    I imagine that I will be finishing the game twice - my first run will be my run, and then the second will be guided.
    I share a similar strategy
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Dany
    @kmg90 said:
    @xMP44x said:
    I share a similar strategy
    Same

Currently I am at 78% on making the correct choice which is great

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.