Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

What Would Make LA Noire Better

• 60 results
    ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ConstantRa1n

Granted it's an amazing game, there's always room for improvement. What would make this game better?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

more kelso, less homicide 

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A monster truck.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

The Normandy SR-2.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60

cornwalliz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By cornwalliz

alec mason's hammer

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By phish09

Get rid of the open world and side missions and just give me more cases.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Power armor.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Quipido

Polished or removed open world. Both the driving and shooting were lame. I would appriciate if developer focused more on the storytelling and the adventure-like gameplay.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Cole Phelps having a fucking life. 
     jumping from one investigation to another constantly, doing the same song and dance, killed the game for me. You don't do anything else.. 

@CL60 said:

AN EIGHTEEN-WHEELER, SPINS OUT OF CONTROL
    ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ConstantRa1n
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Cole Phelps having a fucking life. 

jumping from one investigation to another constantly, doing the same song and dance, killed the game for me. You don't do anything else..
    Agreed. I wanted to see a more personal narrative for Cole when not solving crimes. Basically Heavy Rain meets LA Noire with more Heavy Rain elements.
    Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Getz

A more subtle hint system. Your only options are to turn it off completely and make the game incredibly hard to do well at, or leave it on and make the game too easy. Perhaps a middle-ground would have been nice in offering challenge with the opportunity for success.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ConstantRa1n
    @Quipido said:

Polished or removed open world. Both the driving and shooting were lame. I would appriciate if developer focused more on the storytelling and the adventure-like gameplay.

My least favorite things about the game are driving, shooting and running after people constantly. Lame!
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dany

How about convicting criminals who actually committed the crime. I HATED arson and homicide because I knew before hand that the person i convicted wasn't the real perpetrator. I was all ok for them doing it for homicide but to have me go through that again for arson was dumb

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Quipido
    @Dany: Yes, I agree.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By Yummylee
    @phish09 said:
    Get rid of the open world and side missions and just give me more cases.
    ^ Pretty much.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Sarumarine

Like Dany and Quipido said, I would prefer if there was some kind of closure (and variety) when you completed a homicide case. Or at least some third option so you can tell your watch commander "Hey, I think there's another guy at work here. Let me try to prove it."

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Aetheldod

Ok Im going to be dickish ..... not existing that would make it good >:(

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By granderojo

I thought it would do better to be more campy, you know like other Noir movies of the time frame.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By HitmanAgent47

More shooting

doejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By doejonathan

Removal of both the star rating and the indication of whether your assessment of the suspect is right or wrong. LA Noire does an excellent job at not making too many concessions in trying to be a normal sandbox videogame. I feel they lacked the confidence in truly going all the way. If the emotion in the animation is really on par with reality, a gut feeling should be enough, instead of the instant checkboxing and overall scoring of the player.   
    A somewhat deeper interrogation process wouldn't hurt either, where one mistake doesn't completely cut off the accusation. Perhaps the ability to keep the suspect under increasing pressure, something the Irish chief of police seems to allude to when you are presented with your first interrogation. While too much pressure could backfire. 

The chase sequences could do with some tweaking. A car chase is usually at it's most satisfying when you can catch up with actual driving skills, not by simply staying in range and following the scripted events.  

Although, would this make LA Noire better than it currently is? I don't know. I won't go into story details as I imagine there are still plenty of people in the middle of the game, but it could use a revision.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MikkaQ

If it were set in Twin Peaks, and the game was called Twin Peaks.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Renahzor

Less open world stuff, its unnecessary. 

Deeper investigation system, remove the black and white answers, add in some degrees of failure.  When I say someone is lying, it should allow me to use a bit more logic than I currently can.  It's looking for one answer, and one only.  Sometimes this can be frustrating as I was thinking a bit different route with my investigation.  EG: Prove that Im conneted to the victim! and you have 3 or 4 possible evidence pieces that *could* link them, but only one is the right answer. 

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ConstantRa1n
    @Renahzor said:
    Less open world stuff, its unnecessary.  Deeper investigation system, remove the black and white answers, add in some degrees of failure.  When I say someone is lying, it should allow me to use a bit more logic than I currently can.  It's looking for one answer, and one only.  Sometimes this can be frustrating as I was thinking a bit different route with my investigation.  EG: Prove that Im conneted to the victim! and you have 3 or 4 possible evidence pieces that *could* link them, but only one is the right answer. 
    Parts of the game felt like they were too dependent on facial expression.
    UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By UlquioKani

the action sequences needed to be spread out better, you do too much murdering towards the end of that game

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

A story that's worth a damn

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doejonathan said:
    Removal of both the star rating and the indication of whether your assessment of the suspect is right or wrong. LA Noire does an excellent job at not making too many concessions in trying to be a normal sandbox videogame. I feel they lacked the confidence in truly going all the way. If the emotion in the animation is really on par with reality, a gut feeling should be enough, instead of the instant checkboxing and overall scoring of the player.   A somewhat deeper interrogation process wouldn't hurt either, where one mistake doesn't completely cut off the accusation. Perhaps the ability to keep the suspect under increasing pressure, something the Irish chief of police seems to allude to when you are presented with your first interrogation. While too much pressure could backfire.  The chase sequences could do with some tweaking. A car chase is usually at it's most satisfying when you can catch up with actual driving skills, not by simply staying in range and following the scripted events.   Although, would this make LA Noire better than it currently is? I don't know. I won't go into story details as I imagine there are still plenty of people in the middle of the game, but it could use a revision.
    This is my real answer.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#28  Edited By meptron

I would like it if I could run around and hit people with dildos. Also - jetpacks.

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ConstantRa1n
    @Meptron said:
    I would like it if I could run around and hit people with dildos. Also - jetpacks.
    Here you go. :)
    Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By Castiel

UR MOMMA!

@Tophat666 said:

@drag said:

more kelso, less homicide

What he said.

Also you're crazy. Homicide was without a doubt the best desk in the game. I really liked the way they tied all the cases together in the end and Rusty started out as a cold heartless prick but as I went on he became a cold heartless prick that I actually cared for. Favorite desk and favorite partner. The other desks felt a little rushed at times to be honest: especially traffic and Vice were over before they had begun, at least homicide had some length to it and that Irish boss he was the best. Homicide was without a doubt the best part of that entire game, infact if the whole game had "just" been homicide I would have loved it even more.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By briangodsoe

Have questions and responses based on the evidence you've found instead of the 3 point system. Or if your going to keep the truth, doubt, lie system have doubt work like we're told it's going to work. e.g. I know the perp is lying and I haven't found the bloody knife so I use doubt. He gives me a more vague answer then what I would have gotten if I had the knife but it doesn't completely shut down the line of questioning. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ

An ending that didn't suck shit.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dany

@FluxWaveZ said:

An ending that didn't suck shit.

yep.

Also, I think I said it in this tread but seriously, two fucking desks in which the person locked up didn't commit the crime. Two desks, 10 cases out of 22 that were released, for fucks sake!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bybeach

Only thing that really bothered me was I thought the partners from homocide and arson were really one and the same. As for the rest, I think I understand how they approached it no problem with balance, maybe a bit with the length of driving rarely. A better combat system might have been nice, for sure. The ending got a little strange in some ways, though it was correctly loyal to the theme.

Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jazzycola

A PS3 that had a functioning blu-ray drive. Hint: My Blu-ray drive died as I was playing.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @bybeach said:
    Only thing that really bothered me was I thought the partners from homocide and arson were really one and the same.
    Well, Rusty was obviously more of a misogynist and a drunk than Biggs. Also, Biggs seemed less jaded than Rusty and, in the end, seemed to have a friendlier relationship with Cole than Rusty had but yeah, they had their similarities.
    DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DukesT3

a bag of dicks. 

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@bybeach said:

Only thing that really bothered me was I thought the partners from homocide and arson were really one and the same.
    Well, Rusty was obviously more of a misogynist and a drunk than Biggs. Also, Biggs seemed less jaded than Rusty and, in the end, seemed to have a friendlier relationship with Cole than Rusty had but yeah, they had their similarities.
    You've got that wrong, Biggs is by far the most jaded officer on the force - you actually meet him during the first traffic cut scene. He bumps into Cole while walking out of the office, Cole asks Bokowski who it is, Bokowski replies 'Oh that's Biggs, he's an institution.' Later when you're assigned to be Biggs' partner he says 'I don't do partners cap, you know that'.  Rusty by comparison is just a lazy drunk who happily take the easiest answer to a case so he can be done with it, the boy gets itchy when he's thirsty. 

Initially Biggs wants nothing to do with Cole, and won't even make small talk with him (unlike Rusty). I feel more than anything else Biggs was an idealistic office like Cole, but after years of service on the force he's been worn down by the corruption and lack of real police work, he's clearly been stuck on Arson so he can't cause anyone any trouble. Through the course of the arson investigation Biggs grows to see Cole as, at the very least, a decent man with more honest intentions than most on the LAPD; this is why he ultimately throws his hat in with Cole and tries to blow the property scandal open despite the risk to his pension - he's found another cop who will do real work and not simply close a case because it's convenient. 

OT: I think like a lot of people I would have liked to have a little build up with Cole's wife - even though she's shown in the opening cut scene and you can't make it through a case without seeing Cole's wedding ring and even all the partners yakking about Cole's wife and kids - it's just lacking. It makes the later scenes with her feel abrupt at best, even if she isn't central up until that point, it would be nice to have something.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Better gameplay. Honestly, it may be the weakest part. I was anticipating this to be an easy pick as my Game of the Year, but it's not gonna make it. There's too many issues with the gameplay. Brace yourselves, a rant ensues:

First of all, driving SUCKS. What happened here? One of the greatest things about GTA was the driving. Now I know this was only produced by Rockstar, but still. Maybe it's just not as fun because your score is penalized for wreckless and destructive driving, but I think there's more to it. You're always given a police car to use, which means you can't listen to the radio, and that's a bummer. Man, the also just gets so repetitive. I feel like that's what I'm doing the vast majority of the time, and it's gotten to the point where I just wrecklessly rush to my destination as quickly as possible. Turning on the sirens usually doesn't help me all that much either. Maybe the world just isn't presented in such an interesting way, I don't know. I live in Los Angeles, I love the place. I should be more enamored by scoping it out than I am when I play LA Noire. Then there are the car chases, where your partner gets to shoot out the tires and you miss out. That would be the most exciting part, and you can't even do it yourself. Disappointing! So I decided I would start riding shotgun to skip the driving sequences, however, when you do this it's an auto-skip right to your destination. That means you miss the dialogue chatter between you and your partner. You can't just sit there and look around in first person like in GTA, instead all of that is missed. It's a shame, really. 

Oh, and then there's the side missions. Man, do I really want to get into all of this? Well, the annoying thing about side missions is they totally distract you from the thrill of the pursuit of solving crimes, but more than that, they're usually WAY THE HECK FAR AWAY from where you are. That only leads to more driving. Not cool. Then you get there, and they're generally very short, and the majority of them just seem to revolve around killing a couple dudes. That's another big problem I have with the game. You're a cop, so you try to be the good guy, but still you have to kill so many people. I wish the game focused more on tactical ways of stopping and detaining the bad guys, rather than just shooting them dead. At least let me shoot them in the arm and then go tackle and 'cuff them or something. It feels wrong to have to kill so many people when it seems unnecessary, but the game relies heavily on the idea that if they shoot at you, you must kill them. It just doesn't feel right. It would be so much better if I had to use my wits to stop them, rather than to just take cover and pop out and shoot. Also, it would help if there was a little more incentive to not getting shot, rather than the now-standard "get shot, take cover until health restores" nonsense. 

I could say a lot more, but I'll stop there for now.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By aceofspudz

It should transform into whatever game you wanted to play instead of LA Noire.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HellBrendy
    @Quipido said:
    I actually like the driving, but apart freom free-roaming I mostly opted out of it.  

What L.A. Noire 2 needs is a better over-all story, and more tied together cases like the BD-case in Homicide. I knew I jailed the wrong guy, Cole Phelps knew it but the system didn't care. It was exiting and great and felt a hole lot better than the overall storarc. The story wasn't that poor, it was just badly told. 
    Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Crash_Happy

@doejonathan said:

I feel they lacked the confidence in truly going all the way.

It seems like an experiment to me. Like they felt they couldn't just drop all the 'normal' gameplay because that might be a step too far for a lot of players. So they kept in the big open city and the driving (which was fine I think, it's that people aren't expecting the cars to drive like that) and the gunplay. Another game in the same vein would likely go further along the path of detection, at least I hope so.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By fishinwithguns

Make it longer.  Is it just me or was the story incredibly short?  I was let down, luckily a friend at Gamestop let me return it after I finished it in about 3 days for Mortal Kombat, no extra charge, even though my L.A. Noire was obviously used.  That was a smart move on my part, because I'm telling ya, Mortal Kombat has tons more to do in it than L.A. Noire, and so does inFamous 2, which I bought shortly after.  

Those games are my current faves and definitely give you your money's worth, more so than this game.  I loved the cases of L.A. Noire, I thought the story kind of lost its way near the end, doing arson wasn't fun at all.  It wasn't that fun playing as Kelso, or whatever the guy's name was who was in Vietnam with Cole, who you play as near the end.  I didn't mind the lack of shooting, thought it was appropriate actually.  When there was action, it was great.  When there was a case to solve, it was usually fun.  Even the side missions were always fun.  

And of course the dialogue, voice acting, and facial animations were second to none.  But I sucked at interrogation, so getting things wrong was frustrating and I had no intention of playing through it again and making the same mistakes (bad memory).  It's a great game but I don't think it's worth owning after you beat it, but few games are.

But still, my main beef is that it just seemed too short, ended abruptly, kinda just faded away.  I have a feeling it would have worked better as a movie actually, which I've never said about any game before.  The end climax seemed like that should have been the half-way point...I dunno.  It was great all around but let me down at the end.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vexxan

Wouldn't kill to have more variation in the game...taking on case after case after case was a bit boring mid-game until the story got really interesting.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By valrog

Free DLC.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How 'bout zombies? I haven't seen zombies in a video game in a while.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By bwooduhs

Supernatural cases.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Sooty

It's not an amazing game. It has high production values and is an above average experience but it drags on and gets very boring in parts.

If I was to rate the actual gameplay though, as in, all the boring chase sequences, the clunky controls, the fairly poor feel to the shooting and the horrible driving it would not score favorably at all.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Loki9876

Free-use of guns when you finish the game. airplane use (no i'm not kidding) but like really old planes.
    also in the second game you should be aprivate dedective so you should do arson cases, homocide cases and other cases all toghether.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Blommer4
    @TheGreatGuero said:
     Oh, and then there's the side missions. Man, do I really want to get into all of this? Well, the annoying thing about side missions is they totally distract you from the thrill of the pursuit of solving crimes, but more than that, they're usually WAY THE HECK FAR AWAY from where you are. That only leads to more driving. Not cool. Then you get there, and they're generally very short, and the majority of them just seem to revolve around killing a couple dudes. That's another big problem I have with the game. You're a cop, so you try to be the good guy, but still you have to kill so many people. I wish the game focused more on tactical ways of stopping and detaining the bad guys, rather than just shooting them dead. At least let me shoot them in the arm and then go tackle and 'cuff them or something. It feels wrong to have to kill so many people when it seems unnecessary, but the game relies heavily on the idea that if they shoot at you, you must kill them. It just doesn't feel right. It would be so much better if I had to use my wits to stop them, rather than to just take cover and pop out and shoot. Also, it would help if there was a little more incentive to not getting shot, rather than the now-standard "get shot, take cover until health restores" nonsense.   I could say a lot more, but I'll stop there for now.
    Back in the old days, police worked like that. Kill or be killed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.