Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

L.A. Noire

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released May 17, 2011

L.A. Noire is a detective thriller developed by Team Bondi in Australia and published by Rockstar Games.

"Your primary weapon is your intuition".. well, sh*t!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Edited By AhmadMetallic

This is a shoutout to all my gaming homies out there who lack the intuition and 'smarts' needed to solve mysteries.

I've been a complete sucker for Rockstar Games since i first laid eyes on GTA 2 when i was 10. I never miss a R* title, I even went out and bought a PS3 just to be able to play the PC-less Red Dead Redemption.
    But this time around.. the game isn't about skill or speed or dedication or past R* games experiences, it's about the player counting on his intuition and mystery-solving gut feelings.. and i've always lacked that in my life.

"I've no idea what to do next" 

Whenever i think someone is lying or covering something up, they end up being honest. Whenever i think a dude sounds legit, something about him turns out to be fishy.
    I've lost faith in my personal judgement and i'm no good at solving mysteries. i just don't have the luck for it.. 
    I look too hard when it's easy to see, and i take it for granted when serious efforts should be put into it.

So.. is anyone else worried that you're gonna spend most of your L.A. Noire gametime putting innocent people behind bars and letting criminals go free?  That's no way to play or enjoy a detective game.. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This is a shoutout to all my gaming homies out there who lack the intuition and 'smarts' needed to solve mysteries.

I've been a complete sucker for Rockstar Games since i first laid eyes on GTA 2 when i was 10. I never miss a R* title, I even went out and bought a PS3 just to be able to play the PC-less Red Dead Redemption.
    But this time around.. the game isn't about skill or speed or dedication or past R* games experiences, it's about the player counting on his intuition and mystery-solving gut feelings.. and i've always lacked that in my life.

Whenever i think someone is lying or covering something up, they end up being honest. Whenever i think a dude sounds legit, something about him turns out to be fishy.
    I've lost faith in my personal judgement and i'm no good at solving mysteries. i just don't have the luck for it.. 
    I look too hard when it's easy to see, and i take it for granted when serious efforts should be put into it.

So.. is anyone else worried that you're gonna spend most of your L.A. Noire gametime putting innocent people behind bars and letting criminals go free?  That's no way to play or enjoy a detective game.. 
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By phish09

Intuition, eh?  I wonder if that comes bundled in with the Gamestop pre-order.  :)

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By N7

I'm more or less worried that when you do arrest the innocent people, or let the guilty people go, the game'll do something like "Whoops. You made a mistake so here's the obvious answer", and whenever you try it a second time, you'll get a "Game over" screen.

I sure hope not.

That and the difficulty of the mysteries has me worried.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Maybe you should always pick the opposite of your instincts. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Vinny_Says

Well if you continually mess up I don't see you advancing in rank. But if you keep messing up and they let you continue until the end....that would make for a quite unique ending :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @blacklabeldomm said:

" But if you keep messing up and they let you continue until the end....that would make for a quite unique ending :) "

The reason i feared RPG games for the longest time, right there.
    'what if make all the enemies i should avoid making, befriend all the NPCs that will benefit me the least, sell the shit i should hang on to and keep the shit that won't ever help me out?  100 hours later my entire game might be one big mistake"
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Pinworm45
    @animateria said:
    " Maybe you should always pick the opposite of your instincts.  "
    But what if it's his instincts telling him to pick the opposite of his instincts?

Anyway it's a game, it's a game with mass appeal, it won't be complex.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster

I welcome this change. It's good to see that Rockstar is bringing something fresh to the table.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By animateria
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:

" But if you keep messing up and they let you continue until the end....that would make for a quite unique ending :) "

'what if make all the enemies i should avoid making, befriend all the NPCs that will benefit me the least, sell the shit i should hang on to and keep the shit that won't ever help me out?  100 hours later my entire game might be one big mistake" "
    I guess you should hope they give you the option of having a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to the brain.

So totally 'Noir'.
    thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehexeditor

Not to worry. If you screw up a case you can replay it to get the 5 star rating.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

Great, you've depressed me with your blog.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NTM

No, I think I'll make a pretty good detective. They made that facial technology for this game just for those instances. It's all about reading the persons emotions and from that, figure out if they're lying or not. If you've watched enough shows like Law & Order, I think you'll catch on to the cliche's. Ha ha.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " Anyway it's a game, it's a game with mass appeal, it won't be complex. "
    i hate to be the kind of person who says this but, i sure hope so :$

@animateria said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @blacklabeldomm said:

'what if make all the enemies i should avoid making, befriend all the NPCs that will benefit me the least, sell the shit i should hang on to and keep the shit that won't ever help me out?  100 hours later my entire game might be one big mistake" "
    I guess you should hope they give you the option of having a bottle of whiskey and a bullet to the brain.

So totally 'Noir'.
    "
    making me laugh out loud earns you an internet cookie of your choice
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

Phelps and cop partner clearly weren't ready for that snap-shot.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ocean_H

Isn't there like 2 types of intuition? One based on how smart you are. i.e. your deduction ability like Sherlock Holmes from logical analysis. And the other based on your subjectivity from being bias on anything in your surroundings. Heck, ever played Hotel Dusk on the DS?

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Ramone

As long as there is an homage to that interrogation scene from L.A Confidential I will be happy. I could not care less if I lock up innocent men and release mass murdering peadophiles on the world because I AM THE LAW and as far as I know you can't arrest a policeman, that's how it works isn't it?

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Jonny7892 said:
    "

As long as there is an homage to that scene in L.A Confidential I will be happy. I could not care less if I lock up innocent men and release mass murdering peadophiles on the world because I AM THE LAW and as far as I know you can't arrest a policeman, that's how it works isn't it?

"
    Man, I really loved that interrogation scene.
    mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mshaw006
    @Ahmad_Metallic: You have to keep trying different tactics. Honestly, do something like this: @animateria said:  Maybe you should always pick the opposite of your instincts.,  and if that doesn't work, keep trying systemic changes like that. You'll get it right eventually. 
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#19  Edited By Hailinel
    @Axxol said:
    " I welcome this change. It's good to see that Rockstar is bringing something fresh to the table. "
    Fresh for Rockstar games, at any rate.  It's nice to see them branching out into genres that aren't predicated on sociopathic levels of violence (or ping pong).
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Daveyo520

Well you do have your notebook and Intuition points to help you out, so don't worry too much.

Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    That's no way to play or enjoy a detective game..
    Btw, what? That doesn't makes sense. You want a detective game to solve everything for you?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ocean_H said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Btw, what? That doesn't makes sense. You want a detective game to solve everything for you? "
    no i meant "being a shitty detective is no way to enjoy a detective game. and i wanna play it!"
    Ocean_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ocean_H
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " @Ocean_H said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    Btw, what? That doesn't makes sense. You want a detective game to solve everything for you? "
    no i meant "being a shitty detective is no way to enjoy a detective game. and i wanna play it!" "
    That would be like "I suck at school soo bad or I'm not smart enough but I want to graduate from college".

*Btw, not personal, just an allegory.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Fuck that shit, I'm goin' older school.

MY primary weapon is my INTUIT.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Though unlike your life, in this game you will have evidence to back your claims up. You'll only suffer when you need to squeeze someone for information without anything to use against them, and that will probably only make the investigation take a lot longer. :)

chirotera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By chirotera
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I'm not too worried. So long as I can solve cases like my hero;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8CvXi9Wj8
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

For whatever reason, my hype for this game has gone way up. Maybe it's because I like crime dramas. Who knows.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Daveyo520
    @Claude: It is because you are becoming a man.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Claude
    @Daveyo520 said:
    " @Claude: It is because you are becoming a man. "
    I did break up with my Wii. I guess I'm looking for a long term relationship with a game in HD.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yinstarrunner

It's a modern game, there's no way it'll let you end up fucking yourself over so completely.

I wouldn't even be too worried about making mistakes.  Every video I've seen has made the characters look COMPLETELY OBVIOUS when they're lying, to show off the facial technology.  It would be a poor decision for them to make that a HUGE part of the game anyway... they should stick to solving crimes through deduction.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Evilsbane
    @Claude said:
    " @Daveyo520 said:
    I did break up with my Wii. I guess I'm looking for a long term relationship with a game in HD. "
    My god Claude, YOU LOVE YOUR DAMN Wii but, glad to see you want to tangle with the forbidden fruit of HD :P
    Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wuddel

Maybe I do not know enough of about this game yet - I prefer to be less spoiled going in - but I bet there is a way to muscle around the cases, by collecting even more evidence.

I do welcome the change. The Rockstar games never have been about the skill, but always about the story. Maybe thats why I love GTA and can not relate to RDR.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Claude
    @Evilsbane said:

" @Claude said:

" @Daveyo520 said:

I did break up with my Wii. I guess I'm looking for a long term relationship with a game in HD. "
    My god Claude, YOU LOVE YOUR DAMN Wii but, glad to see you want to tangle with the forbidden fruit of HD :P "
    DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DystopiaX
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " This is a shoutout to all my gaming homies out there who lack the intuition and 'smarts' needed to solve mysteries.

"
    Same, but hoping that the other clues that you can pick up help you enough that occasionally misreading a character won't have consequences that serious. Also since it's acting and not the real thing the tells may be more pronounced than normal.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Abyssfull said:

" Phelps and cop partner clearly weren't ready for that snap-shot. "

edit: totally photo-suckerpunched them right there
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By Kyreo

To be honest I don't think it will be too hard.  I like puzzles and I think about things in new ways when I need to so I don't think it will be too bad.  In fact, I am looking forward to solving mysteries.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ProfessorEss

Yeah I'm a little worried about it too. I'm also kinda worried that it's going to result in a lot of the game involving me watching the same cutscenes over and over again.

I'm staying optimistic, but I do have my worries.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mordukai
    @Ahmad_Metallic:  How can you rely on your intuition when ware such horrible suits? 
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#39  Edited By Loki9876

start watching Lie to me

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By JJWeatherman

This thread is hilarious.  :)

Just enjoy the game, duder.
    ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShaggE

For the first time, I'm actually hoping that this game DOES let you fuck yourself over, and adjust the story/cases/interactions as needed. (but never adjusted to make things easier)

For some reason, I feel like this game should be a stiff challenge. 
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Chirotera said:
    " @Ahmad_Metallic: I'm not too worried. So long as I can solve cases like my hero; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN8CvXi9Wj8 "
    that was fascinating.

@ProfessorEss said:
    " Yeah I'm a little worried about it too. I'm also kinda worried that it's going to result in a lot of the game involving me watching the same cutscenes over and over again.I'm staying optimistic, but I do have my worries. "
    yeah watching the same shit everytime you mess up.. and i mess up alot .. woah.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DonPixel

So it´s a game you know.. it´s not like real people are going behind bars. You can always load last save to clean your conscience 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.