Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Labrys

Character » appears in 5 games

Labrys is a combatant in Persona 4 Arena and a new character to the Persona franchise. She is a gynoid similar in origin to Aigis and wields a giant axe.

The labours of Labrys

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mwng

So it's another one of these, the blogs with the alliterative titles where I attempt to learn fighting games.

And since Persona 4 Arena has been out in Europe for a few weeks, let's do that.

I've played a lot of Blazblue, I'm still no better for it, but at least I knew kinda what to expect going in. But picking up a new character is proving to be a lot harder than I thought it'd be. I played Tao pretty much exclusively in Blazblue, meaning I got very used to how she moved about the screen, and managed to consign a few BnB's to muscle memory.

But now I'm having to unlearn all that in favour of a new character... Initially I wasn't sure who to go with, Yosuke seemed a little like Tao in that he was pretty zippy, but I wasn't quite sure about the rest of his move set. Naoto also seemed pretty fun, but I was never very good at controlling space. So in the end I played the safe card and picked Labrys, because she's on the box (and you can't go wrong doing that, right?).

Now Labrys is slow, maybe not the slowest, but it's taking me a lot of time to realise I can't just beat people to the punch like I did with Tao. She's comparable to Hakumen I suppose, only she has some ranged options, and a lot more overheads. But everyone seems to have a lot of overheads in this game. P4A only seems to use quarter circle inputs too (apart from the odd charge and double down), which isn't that much of a shock coming from Tao, as she didn't have anything except those inputs, but it does mean people I play online are far less likely to screw up their inputs.

Speaking of online, it's been going pretty poorly for me. The new auto combo feature denotes that people I'd normally win against in Blazblue because they didn't really know what they were doing, are now able to do a fair amount of damage to me with the help of a standard combo. Yes they're pretty easy to block in most cases, but stuff like Chie and her high followed by a low seems almost like luck if I can block both in an online situation, and it's not even that laggy! I'm probably just being bad...

As for specific matches, I seem to have taken to playing whack a mole with Labrys' overhead and hoping it hits. I'm really liking the fact DP is just a button press away now too, Tao never had a DP, so I'm still getting used to the idea of just being able to mash out of stuff (I should probably stop that...). Fun fact: I keep accidentally inputting the awakening axe super.

Anyway, here's sameoldstuff letting me win one of the many many matches we played, just uploading one of the wins to spite him for being better than me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.