Point of this concept?

#1 Edited by Cook66 (227 posts) -

I'd like to know exactly what the point of this concept is? Does it serve any purpose at all? Lag is not a feature, lag is usually not a bug and unless it's related directly to bad coding in the game it might as well be changed to "Online Capabilities" there are no such thing as a lag free online game making this concept completely pointless.

Edit: The fact that theres a bunch of unreleased games here pretty much proves my point.

#2 Posted by Termite (2398 posts) -

Aww ya don't like the page? I proposed it you know. While it isn't a feature of the game per-se, it's a "Concept" not a feature. It is something often encountered in games so I think it has enough to do with games to be considered a concept.

#3 Posted by Cook66 (227 posts) -

Yes I don't like the concept. What it should be is section in the article of a concept for "online games" where you explain what lag is and that it could be present in every game. Having it as a separate concept doesn't make much sense.

#4 Posted by Bennyishere (1685 posts) -

Why not? The more the merrier.

#5 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

Lag should not be discriminated against just because it's "frustrating" and "ruins gameplay"

#6 Posted by Cook66 (227 posts) -
hidys said:
"Lag should not be discriminated against just because it's "frustrating" and "ruins gameplay"
"
And again thats not the reasons I wrote, how about we stay on topic?
#7 Posted by Callik (138 posts) -
Cook66 said:
"I'd like to know exactly what the point of this concept is? Does it serve any purpose at all? Lag is not a feature, lag is usually not a bug and unless it's related directly to bad coding in the game it might as well be changed to "Online Capabilities" there are no such thing as a lag free online game making this concept completely pointless.

Edit: The fact that theres a bunch of unreleased games here pretty much proves my point.
"
This man speaks the truth. Lag is related to net connections or lack/slowing down thereof, not games. You could get lag on a Skype video chat, want to add that to the list too? Bad network coding in a game could contribute to lag but it's not something whereby developers thought "Hmm, I think this game could use some good lag" and designed it in.
#8 Edited by MerlijnVH (108 posts) -

I don't see a problem with it. Lag is certainly not a game, object, character or location. So it does (sort of) fit in as a concept of what could happen in a game.

There are games that have excessive lag issues still unresolved by the developer, therefore it could be added as a concept to that game.
This way if people look up that game, they can see under the concepts that it suffers from lag issues.

I don't know... that's just my opinion on it.

#9 Posted by hughesie27 (191 posts) -

A concept is something in a game. A feature of the game.
Something you can utilise in game.
Like a replay. Grenade jump. Or the perks in COD 4. These are all concepts.
Lag is created when you have a bad internet connection. Pretty much sums up what I am trying to say.
Although I agree that is it is a result of bad coding and is the developers fault that everybody will feel the effects of then it should be placed somewhere in the games page. Still not a concept though.

#10 Posted by thefjk (137 posts) -

Removing it would be a pain, since it's all linked up to stuff now, so nope. Might as well leave it there, just helps to tag stuff together!

Plus some games lag more than others (Team Fortress on PS3 vs. COD4 on PS3) so yeah!
#11 Posted by eagle (86 posts) -

1. Lag is slang for Latency, so the page should be renamed with no doubt.

2. This page has the same issue as I posted about on Griefing. That is that every online multiplayer game can be used for griefing, since every form of player to player communication can be abused, so linking all that is pointless. The same goes for lag, every single online, not even multiplayer required, game has lag. it might not be noticeable but it sure is there.

So what now? I'd say disable gamelinking for these concepts. To explain the concept the page is still useful.

@thefik: I highly doubt removing is a pain. Likely every game linked would just unlink it. The way I design databases the connections are not part of any page but stand on their own in a connections table.

#12 Edited by Fang (8 posts) -

I agree that linking to specific games is silly, but the concept is useful. I just submitted an article about various types of lag; we'll see what happens. There should probably be some sort of a "general concept" category.

#13 Posted by dankempster (2252 posts) -

I don't see a problem with having a Lag page. The problem, like with Grass, lies in idiots linking every game under the sun to it. The Lag page would be a lot more meaningful if it was reserved only for games notorious for serious lag problems, rather than every single online multiplayer game in the world.

#14 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Lag isn't really a concept but its the closest category we have for it. Since lag is such a common and well known "thing" to occur in games it does deserve recognition for sure.

#15 Posted by Xymox (2076 posts) -
eagle said:
I'd say disable gamelinking for these concepts. To explain the concept the page is still useful.

Agreed. No need to have games connected to these things unless someone can name even one multiplayer game that doesn't lag... But the articles are nice to have.
#16 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
Hamz said:
"Lag isn't really a concept but its the closest category we have for it. Since lag is such a common and well known "thing" to occur in games it does deserve recognition for sure."
Xymox said:
"eagle said:
I'd say disable gamelinking for these concepts. To explain the concept the page is still useful.
Agreed. No need to have games connected to these things unless someone can name even one multiplayer game that doesn't lag... But the articles are nice to have."
I agree with this as well. Keep the concept, but there's no need to list games.
#17 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
Hamz said:
"Lag isn't really a concept but its the closest category we have for it. Since lag is such a common and well known "thing" to occur in games it does deserve recognition for sure."
but isnt lag caused by the users connection and the servers speed and not by the game itself?
#18 Posted by MB (12191 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Hamz said:
but isnt lag caused by the users connection and the servers speed and not by the game itself?"
Not necessarily...some games just have poor network code. 
#19 Edited by Endogene (4741 posts) -
MB said:
"Endogene said:
"Hamz said:
but isnt lag caused by the users connection and the servers speed and not by the game itself?"
Not necessarily...some games just have poor network code. "
ha wasnt aware of that, still look at that list... starcraft has no poor network code i am aware of.
I'm ok with a list of games that have this poor coding but most of the games in it are just their because some users experienced lag... really saying that UT3 has any coding problems is plain stupid.
#20 Posted by MB (12191 posts) -

If you don't think a game should be attached to this concept, make an edit to the page and explain your reasoning.

#21 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
MB said:
"If you don't think a game should be attached to this concept, make an edit to the page and explain your reasoning."
I know, however i have not played enough of those games to be 100 percent sure about the coding so i'll leave it to someone who knows the technical details.
#22 Posted by xruntime (1920 posts) -
I agree with the person who suggested that the concept remain but no games be linked to it. Any multiplayer game may have lag.
#23 Posted by ParanoidFreak (1461 posts) -
Cook66 said:
Lag is not a feature, lag is usually not a bug and unless it's related directly to bad coding in the game.
"
It's not a bug it's a feature.
caption

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.