Lair, has anyone tried it with the new controller scheme?

#1 Posted by Nictel (2312 posts) -

All right, I'm pretty sure everyone remembers the whole debacle with Lair. It was praised for it's looks and dragons but smashed in to the ground because of the controls.  Now the game got an update containing a new controller option.

Has anyone played Lair after the update and how did you find the game?
Perhaps more importantly, is it worth €15,- ?

#2 Posted by nukesniper (1311 posts) -

I spent $15 USD on the game recently, but I haven't played it yet, nor did I ever play it with the sixaxis controls. However, I have a friend who swears up and down that it is a good game, and he is the type of guy that I trust on these things. While it might not be the best game ever, it must fill some void in gaming for him to like it so much. 

As to why I didn't play it yet, I bought MGS4 at the same time. So, yeah.

#3 Posted by TurboMan (6941 posts) -

I played it with sixaxis controls... I got past the 3rd level and quit.

#4 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5355 posts) -

No, but I had no problem with the original controls. I enjoyed my time with it, though it is a rental at best. I beat it with no issues.

#5 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

I think I sort of did.
I played a year after release a friend lent it to me. It controls the same as a horse (if you have ever ridden one). I know it sounds dumb but it actually does. The game I played had button presses for dashes and u turns which would be the horse equivalente of using the stirrups to go faster or pulling back. I think that using button presses made it a far better game, it was an ok game with ok graphics, it had a PHENOMENAL musical score though, I loved it. Overall you'll play it have fun and I sort of wish that a sequel had been made with better graphics and controls as it had a lot of very neat ideas and potential.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" No, but I had no problem with the original controls. I enjoyed my time with it, though it is a rental at best. I beat it with no issues. "
This. 
Had no problems with the Sixaxis controls at all. 
I laughed every time someone said that they didn't know how to control it with the Sixaxis because it was "hard" 
#7 Posted by SuperSecretAgenda (696 posts) -
@nukesniper said:
" I spent $15 USD on the game recently, but I haven't played it yet, nor did I ever play it with the sixaxis controls. However, I have a friend who swears up and down that it is a good game, and he is the type of guy that I trust on these things. While it might not be the best game ever, it must fill some void in gaming for him to like it so much.  As to why I didn't play it yet, I bought MGS4 at the same time. So, yeah. "
We should play MGO together!!!!!!
#8 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Wait this game got patched recently? Why? Or did this happen around the time it came out?

#9 Posted by StillVictor (150 posts) -

I would like to know the answer to this question too. Anyone?

#10 Edited by EVO (3778 posts) -
@c1337us: @StillVictor: Nah it got patched a while ago.
#11 Posted by kagekage (704 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
" @Vito_Raliffe said:
" No, but I had no problem with the original controls. I enjoyed my time with it, though it is a rental at best. I beat it with no issues. "
This. Had no problems with the Sixaxis controls at all. I laughed every time someone said that they didn't know how to control it with the Sixaxis because it was "hard"  "
So do you think it's worth the purchase with the update now?
#12 Posted by EVO (3778 posts) -
@kagekage said:
" @ZeForgotten said:
" @Vito_Raliffe said:
This. Had no problems with the Sixaxis controls at all. I laughed every time someone said that they didn't know how to control it with the Sixaxis because it was "hard"  "
So do you think it's worth the purchase with the update now? "
If I'm not mistaken bad controls were only the start of Lair's problems. But hey, I haven't played it and if you can find it cheap why not?
#13 Posted by xyzygy (9610 posts) -

Yeah, I thought the controls were only part of a bad game. There is still so much more about that game that is just terrible.

#14 Posted by chililili (1328 posts) -

Yeah its not that bad (as in play it if someone lends it to you or its a gift), but you don't get trophies from it, I think you could buy another game or simply save that money to be spent on the PSN or another better more expensive game.

#15 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

The game itself seemed entirely lame to me regardless of the former sixaxis only controls, so it makes no difference.

#16 Posted by Grumbel (910 posts) -

The biggest problem with Lair is that it is basically the same game as the RogueLeader/RogueStrike/RogueSquadron games, which by todays standards might feel a little outdated due to their arcade style gameplay and mission design, i.e. it is very linear and lacks the open world feel that is now in basically every game. That aside the game seems fine to me, especially the sense of scale the game has is very impressive. The controls itself seem fine to me, even the SIXAXIS ones. The biggest issue with the motion controls is simply that it takes a good bit of relearning as you will end up constantly fiddling with the analogstick by accident. And most of the shooting in the game happens via lack-on anyway, so precision is not an issue.

Anyway, the game is totally worth $15 that you pay for it today. The game is also basically the only big title that makes use of motion controls and support PSP remote play, so just for curiosity sake it is already worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.