Gaming Laptop....with a Twist

#1 Posted by 5socks5 (182 posts) -

Well I always see topics about people needing a good gaming laptop, but I have a different question. What are some good games to play on a crappy laptop. In other words, old ass PC games. I already have Torchlight, Minecraft, Terraria, Dungeons of Dredmor. Do you guys have some recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by Driadon (2990 posts) -

There's a bunch, not only old. A few I can think of that are right in my Steam list: Frozen Synapse, Jamestown*, Super Meat Boy*, Atom Zombie Smasher, Braid, Sid Meyer's Pirates, Gratuitous Space Battles, Machinarium and Magika. (* denotes preferable with a controller)

There's a lot of PC games out there that can run on some low end hardware, simply because the time and effort needed to come up with the art assets you see in a AAA are expensive as hell, and as such it's much much easier for indie-er developers to go with something much much lighter on the graphics end of things.

#3 Posted by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -

Most anything from a Humble Bundle, Audiosurf, Warcraft 3, Starcraft 1, quite possibly Starcraft 2, some of the Civ games, RollerCoaster Tycoon 1 and 2...

There's lots out there.

#4 Edited by Jeust (10342 posts) -
  • Theme Hospital
  • Populous: The Beginning
  • Diablo 2
  • Warcraft 3
  • Starcraft
  • Baldur's Gate
  • Planescape Torment
  • KOTOR
  • Jade Empire
  • Sanitarium
  • Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
  • FEAR
  • Condemned: Criminal Origins
#5 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

World of Goo, and KotOR run fine on my craptop.

#6 Posted by Three0neFive (2275 posts) -

The original Fallout games are all you need.

#7 Edited by RollingZeppelin (1858 posts) -

Heroes of Might and Magic 3

Stronghold (the original)

#8 Posted by thebunnyhunter (1213 posts) -
here are some games that ran on my old crappy laptop
  • Half-life series
  • Counter Strike - Day of Defeat (source versions ran fine as well)
  • Recettear
  • Civilization series
  • Trine
  • Majesty
  • Age of Empires
  • Sim City 4
  • Beat Hazard
#9 Posted by Plasticstars (168 posts) -

Fallout 1&2, Breath of Death VII/Cthulhu Saves the World, Max Payne 1&2, the Penumbra series, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Doom, Quake.

#10 Posted by Grilledcheez (3919 posts) -

Age of Empires 2, Stronghold Crusader

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.