I need a gaming laptop.

#1 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -

Right now the only thing that I run games on is an old Vista with integrated graphics and a mid range processor. What I really want is a gaming laptop, preferably between six hundred and eight hundred dollars. I'd like to be able to run the first Witcher at least. Does anyone know of any laptops that would be able to do that?

#2 Posted by Stonyman65 (2806 posts) -

alienware makes some but those are in the $2,000 range.

Getting a gaming laptop for what you want and for that price is going to be hard, if not impossible.

#3 Posted by Bucketdeth (8037 posts) -

Asus have a nice line of gaming laptops, look up some on tigerdirect or newegg.

#4 Posted by TooWalrus (13254 posts) -

I want a good lonovo thinkpad... too bad I'm damn broke.

#5 Posted by Towers (96 posts) -
#6 Posted by Subject2Change (2966 posts) -
#7 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -
@Towers: Wow. That's exactly what I was looking for.
#8 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

No. Such. Thing. 
The term "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron, so first step is to lower your expectations. That being said, you should be able to run older games like Witcher 1 on any decent current laptop, just make sure that the best thing inside that machine is it´s video card. Just shop around and try to get good info on the GPU. This is a good place to start.

#9 Posted by Djstyles92 (953 posts) -

Go to xoticpc, they have some great gaming laptops.  I got my laptop from there and its great. 

#10 Posted by Towers (96 posts) -

@DarthOniXVIII said:

@Towers: Wow. That's exactly what I was looking for.

No problem. I still maintain that any serious gaming should be done via PC but if you're going to buy a laptop for school/travel/work, and need something that can game on the side, then get what I posted.

#11 Posted by Indiana_Jenkins (395 posts) -
#12 Posted by MisterDunlap (245 posts) -
@Towers: That's pretty much what it will be used for. In the fullness of time I hope to build my own fully functioning gaming desktop, but I don't really have the budget for that currently.
#13 Edited by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

I recommend this laptop, the extra $50 nets you a much more capable GPU (25% more fps across a large sampling of games according to this). The build quality on Lenovo laptops is really good, I have a Y550p and its still going strong 18 months after I bought it.

#14 Posted by Daiphyer (1349 posts) -

Since we're on Gaming Laptops, I didn't wanna make a new thread, so I'll just ask my question here. 
What do you guys think of the 17-inch MacBook Pro? The one with Radeon graphics in it. Is it any good for modern games, say, BF3?

#15 Posted by Aronman789 (2694 posts) -

Gross, I could never think of playing games on a laptop, the screen is damn tiny.

#16 Posted by nickb64 (214 posts) -
@Daiphyer it's not terrible, but it's not great either. MBP that is.
#17 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@Daiphyer: It might be able to run it on low to medium at native resolution on the 15" and 17" models, defiantly not on the 13", its hard to say though with the game not being out and no specs being announced.
#18 Posted by Towers (96 posts) -
@Gav47
I recommend this laptop, the extra $50 nets you a much more capable GPU (25% more fps across a large sampling of games according to this). The build quality on Lenovo laptops is really good, I have a Y550p and its still going strong 18 months after I bought it.
That's a pretty good laptop. Lenovo makes really good shit too. I would have to agree that for an extra $50 I would get that one. Might be outside the OPs price range though with taxes and such.
#19 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

@Aronman789 said:

Gross, I could never think of playing games on a laptop, the screen is damn tiny.

Depends on a laptop, you can always get a 17 inch one if you are willing to put out the cash. Plus since it's a laptop it's way easier to connect it to a sweet TV.

@Rattle618 said:

No. Such. Thing.
The term "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron, so first step is to lower your expectations. That being said, you should be able to run older games like Witcher 1 on any decent current laptop, just make sure that the best thing inside that machine is it´s video card. Just shop around and try to get good info on the GPU. This is a good place to start.

Ignorance is bliss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.