Is 1366x768 a good resolution for a laptop?

#1 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I'm buying a new laptop, and it has a native resolution of 1366x768. Is this a good resolution?

#2 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

If you don't plan on playing games at all.

#3 Posted by Bioderm (194 posts) -

I don't know anything about laptop but it is acceptable its higher than 720p

#4 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Games shouldn't be played on laptops anyway; I'd say it's fine. What are the rest of the specs? 

#5 Edited by mm665 (407 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

If you don't plan on playing games at all.

"
Yep,most games don't support that resolution.
#6 Edited by MrKlorox (11208 posts) -

Depends on screen size. If it's a very small screen (sub 10 inches) then yes.

Resolution is just as important in workspace as it is in games.

#7 Edited by ColinWright (741 posts) -

My laptop runs at 1366 x 768 and it runs swimmingly i might add

#8 Edited by MattyFTM (14348 posts) -

My laptop is 1366x768, and I've never had any problems with it. I don't know the technical ins & outs of it, but it works fine and looks good. It obviously doesn't look as good as higher resolutions, but assuming it's significantly cheaper than higher res laptops (I know mine was when I bought it), it's a reasonable trade off.

#9 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

I think 1440 x 900 is more common these days, but I guess it depends on the physical size of the screen as well. With that resolution, you're technically getting more pixels than a 720p screen - so contrary to the above post, games will look fine on it.

#10 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" Depends on screen size. If it's a very small screen (sub 10 inches) then yes.  Resolution is just as important in workspace as it is in games. "
But laptop screens are so small that it wouldn't help anyway; if you had a 1080 screen on a laptop to view 2 pages side by side the text would be too small. 
#11 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

It's a Thinkpad SL510. I'm working on a fairly tight budget, and I like the Thinkpad series. Specs are as follows:

• Intel Core 2 Duo T6570 2.1GHz processor
  • 15.6" HD Anti-glare (matte)
  • 2 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 250 GB HDD 5200 rpm
  • Intel GMA 4500MHD
#12 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz said:
" It's a Thinkpad SL510. I'm working on a fairly tight budget, and I like the Thinkpad series. Specs are as follows:

• Intel Core 2 Duo T6570 2.1GHz processor
  • 15.6" HD Anti-glare (matte)
  • 2 GB DDR3 RAM
  • 250 GB HDD 5200 rpm
  • Intel GMA 4500MHD
"
What purposes are you using it for? Almost anything is good enough for word processing and web browsing but even basic games will eat that alive. 
#13 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

I don't do much PC gaming, so 3D performance is not an issue. The only PC game coming out that I care about playing is Starcraft 2.

#14 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@Geno: Just going to use it for school and entertainment. Like I said I don't game much beyond old RTS's and online flash games, so graphical muscle is not a big issue. Entertainment meaning web browsing, music, videos, etc. Also, I used to have a computer running Intel GMA X4500 and that could play any of the games I threw at it. Those were early generation PC games like City of Heroes and Rome: Total War. I would assume this newer GMA would have improved performance. 
#15 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
#16 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@Geno: Ah thanks, that was useful information. Yeah it pretty much suits my needs as far as  "gaming" goes. I am interested in Portal, and it should play it fine. Also, there is a cheaper model ThinkPad that sports a single core Intel Celeron T3000 processor, you wouldn't happen to know how well that specific processor performs do you? Because I'm on a really tight budget. I don't really want to spend more than $550.00 US dollars.
#17 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@SathingtonWaltz: I'm not as familiar with laptop hardware and desktop hardware, but I would heavily advise against anything single core, even for a laptop. Celeron has been obsolete for quite a while, and wasn't even good when it was active.  

If you're looking for good deals on laptops I would advise keeping tabs on this website:  http://www.logicbuy.com/. They track hardware deals across some of the largest manufacturers and there are some astonishingly good ones sometimes. I've seen some pretty amazing stuff go at 50% off, and other ones at several hundred dollars off. Other websites such as  http://www.tomshardware.com/us/ usually then cull the data even further, bringing forth the best deals of the week for laptops and other electronics. For example this week HP has $350 off on several laptop models (though all of them are $1000+ so out of your budget I suppose),  http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hp-envy-laptop-sale-coupon,9454.html
#18 Posted by Rehehelly (414 posts) -

I use a dell studio 1550 here at uni, 15.6" screen and it runs at 1366x768, not had a problem at all playing games. 

Some games don't support it but yeah, it works. I like my laptop, it runs games well.

#19 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -
@Geno: Yes I figured that the Celeron processors would be a poor choice. Even though I'm on a budget, I do want decent performance, and from what I understand the Core 2 Duo's are good processors, so I guess It would be worth it to stretch my budget out to afford the dual cores. I appreciate the information you have provided me, thanks.
#20 Posted by Skytylz (4030 posts) -

mine is that res and fallout 3 and most the games i've demoed off steam support that res

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.